Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Muff Recommendations

Blue Jacket

Ordered a pair of Pro Ears Pro 300 last night, I had been using Cadwell's and ear plugs. It was a toss up between MSA Supreme Basic and Pro Ears Pro 300. I believe both have low profiles good enough for rifle use.

Just a follow up to my post. Wore my Pro 300 during a few IDPA matches and glad I bought them. They are somewhat tight but after some adjustments they fit well. The sound compression is great for outdoor pistol matches but I would recommend doubling up for rifle calibers or indoor shooting. I tried to shoot an AR with them but the profile did get in the way. It is easy to leave them turned on. I did for a few days. Good thing I bought extra batteries but didn't need to replacement them. My only gripe is I wish they were foldable.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have MSA sordins with gel cups as back up. Went custom in the canal electronic ears from Soundgear. Expensive but worth it. Better noise cancellation, better hearing. Can wear them all day. Absolutely the best I have found.

I went from Howard Leights last year to peltor tactical something or other.. Peltors are far superior. Much softer cup, way more comfortable to wear and not bulky. I have no doubt the higher end ones are even better, but for less than $70, I'll stick with peltors for now

ef76e43598b3b6a7277f78c320d0b68b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You just can not beat a pair of Sordins with gelpads , i have the pro X .

I use them in practice or when working at the range , for matches i use custom molded in ear plugs with double dampening .

Don't like to wear mufs when i am schooting matches

I use Howard Leights and have a second set for my caregiver who is now shooting matches with me. I like that I have no problems hearing people talk to me and I can hear my hits very well when shooting SCSA matches.

They are also very comfortable.

I've had three pairs of HL Impact Sports and two pairs of Peltor Tac 100s. I don't think either are very good, but slightly prefer the HLs.

I have warrantied a pair of each, Peltors dead out of the box, HLs that wouldn't turn off and killed batteries. Kinda lame warranty process from both return to vendor. 1st pair of HLs was lost before I had a chance to fall out of love.

HLs have much better amplification, and seamless noise suppression. The Peltors have much softer cups and more adjustment, but they're shallower and my ears get smashed into the foam. The Peltors cancelling is triggered by any sharp noise loud or not (slide racking, car door closing, tapping somehing on a bench), they recover very slow and the compression sound dampening is distracting. All three HLs have suffered from interference/static more than the Peltors. I double up with both, NRRs are too low.

Next time I'll either spend more or ditch amplification.

• 2 weeks later...

After using the < $100 variety, used the MSA SS gel for first match this past weekend and love them. Wore them for 5 hours straight and really like the compression vs. clipping of fired shots.

Easy to adjust volume was nice for way down when I was shooting to up a few clicks the rest of the time where the sensitivity is really impressive.

Edited by M8Stealth

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on my 2nd pair of HLs. The 1st lasted me 5 years but just recently they started to shut off randomly and it was becoming frustrating while at a match.

The only thing I'll add that I haven't seen yet anyone mention yet is the Brownells ear muff covers. It makes them a lot more comfortable to wear, it wicks sweat in the summer and keeps your warmer in the winter, and they're $10.

I have a set of the Walkers Ultimate Power mutts. THey are comfortable the ear cups are nicer than Howard Leight but they are not low profile by no means. The new Razor Slims look to be what you would want for rifle shooting.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to get the Walker Ultimate Power Muff. I am amazed at the sound suppression and the microphones work well. They stay in place too. They are by no means slim though.

I decided to get the Walker Ultimate Power Muff. I am amazed at the sound suppression and the microphones work well. They stay in place too. They are by no means slim though.

Get the Razor Slim, its slimmer than Leights. Sound suppression is superb and the mics works very well (you can hear the voices from the other bay...hehehe)

• 2 weeks later...