Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Muff Recommendations

Blue Jacket

On 4/29/2016 at 11:13 AM, tyler2you said:

I tried a set of the Soundgear plugs and they were OK. Biggest issue was they don't have a power switch. They use tiny little hearing aid batteries that are a pain to remove/insert to turn them on/off.

Add on - Has anyone used these in conjunction with electronic muffs on top?  Wondering if you would get feedback or not

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, JimmyN9 said:

Add on - Has anyone used these in conjunction with electronic muffs on top?  Wondering if you would get feedback or not

I use soundgear, I will put over the ear muffs on when I'm RO'ing an open shooter inside, but that's the only time. I haven't experienced any adverse situations. Regarding your other question about what is the best by consensus, that's a pretty tough question. Everyone that bought them did so for different reasons and people don't like to admit when they make a mistake:D, then there are the shooters that are sponsored (or partially sponsored) by hearing protection companies, what else are they going to say?

2 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

I use soundgear, I will put over the ear muffs on when I'm RO'ing an open shooter inside, but that's the only time. I haven't experienced any adverse situations. Regarding your other question about what is the best by consensus, that's a pretty tough question. Everyone that bought them did so for different reasons and people don't like to admit when they make a mistake:D, then there are the shooters that are sponsored (or partially sponsored) by hearing protection companies, what else are they going to say?

Point well taken and appreciate the feedback.  

As a new and young shooter with great hearing, I really want to protect my ears, and I definitely don't mind spending money to protect my ears.

If I were to drop say 250-300 for ear pro, would I be better off getting MSA Sordins or getting custom ear plugs? I don't really have an issue hearing people even with doubled up passive ear plugs and ear muffs.

I usually shoot indoors which is why I really want to protect my ears.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

3 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

As a new and young shooter with great hearing, I really want to protect my ears, and I definitely don't mind spending money to protect my ears.

If I were to drop say 250-300 for ear pro, would I be better off getting MSA Sordins or getting custom ear plugs? I don't really have an issue hearing people even with doubled up passive ear plugs and ear muffs.

I usually shoot indoors which is why I really want to protect my ears.

I guess it depends on how much you think your ears are worth. Custom fit, in the ear canal, electronic hearing protection is in the $600 to $1000 price range, you can also get muffs at the local gun store for $15. Depends on how serious you are about protecting your hearing. I wear the electronics exclusively outdoors, indoors I may double up with muffs when RO'ing an Open shooter. They are sooooo much more comfortable, I wear the in the ear canal type for an all day match and I forget they are in there, with muffs, I'm ready to tear them off after a few hours.

I would buy the best you can afford

there's nothing wrong with a cheap pair of high nrr non electric muffs

i currently use the peltor tactical pro, the nrr is 25, it come with gel ear cups, deep recesses so your ears don't get squished

and as comfortable as a set of ear muff can be

And you got the right idea, spend the money now to protect what hearing you have, instead of the rest of us who went cheap 

before and now spend the money to save what we have left

Ive been using a pair of pro-ears since I started shooting, I love them but they are a bit bulky and pinch me along the glasses giving me headaches at times. Ive actually been thinking of switching to a pair of sordins or custom molded plugs.

On 8/27/2016 at 2:44 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm a grad student and can't pay that much for in ear protection.

I found MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X w/ Gel Pads for under $200 on eBay though so I just impulse bought them. Hopefully they're as good as everyone claims them to be!

Sweet deal.  The gel pads are comfy as hell.  Personally, I keep surefire or other plugs handy to wear under them if needed (squad's full of open cannons, group indoors, etc.).

1 hour ago, BBQRibs said:

Sweet deal.  The gel pads are comfy as hell.  Personally, I keep surefire or other plugs handy to wear under them if needed (squad's full of open cannons, group indoors, etc.).

Yea, I pretty much always double up at my range. Before I had my annual membership and access to the "premium lanes" I would still flinch every time someone shot a rifle. I really hope these Sordins aren't fake or anything hah.

3 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Yea, I pretty much always double up at my range. Before I had my annual membership and access to the "premium lanes" I would still flinch every time someone shot a rifle. I really hope these Sordins aren't fake or anything hah.

Hehe, if they are you won't have to worry about getting used to the mic sensitivity levels.  I had mine turned up high when I first put them on and thought "wtf... these things are broken", when I heard a weird, loud crinkling sound. It was my wife in the next room quietly flipping through a magazine.

On 8/30/2016 at 0:44 PM, BBQRibs said:

Hehe, if they are you won't have to worry about getting used to the mic sensitivity levels.  I had mine turned up high when I first put them on and thought "wtf... these things are broken", when I heard a weird, loud crinkling sound. It was my wife in the next room quietly flipping through a magazine.

Wow, yea. I just got the MSA Sordins in, and they are amazing. The NRR might not be as high as my other passive muffs, but they seal a whole lot better with my ear actually getting completely in the cup. The microphone also picks up on the quietest noises. 

Very happy with my purchase, especially at the price! I'll be trying it out tomorrow at the range.

I am currently using Peltor Tactical Sports.  When I first got them I wasn't impressed with the overall comfort.  I then purchased the gel cups and it made a world of difference.  It was money well spent... Just don't leave any ear pro with gel cups in a hot car for very long as the heat really deforms cups.

Just now, GrumpyOne said:

Time to buy a spare gun...

Hah. Is it sad that my spare gun was my Kadet kit for my CZ which was the reason why I broke the trigger spring...

I need to get my Florida concealed so I can pick up another gun without the 3 day wait next time I go back home. Plan is to start saving up for a Shadow 2 or a Stock 2/3...

I think you've gone the right way. the sordin pro x are great muffs and the gel cups are a must have to ensure a tight seal over glasses. 

since you shoot indoors I'd suggest at the minimum use foam plugs underneath but even better would be to get some custom molded plugs made. they are about $40-$50. often people will be making them at a match or gun shows etc. the molded plugs and the sordin pro x will protect your hearing nicely while still allowing you to hear range commands and eaves drop on the rest of your squad. :)

My Msa Supreme Pro X just died after about 4 years. I went back to my Dillon's which are 12 years old and still working fine after replacing the ear cups. I'll investigate getting the MSA's repaired since they were so expensive. With the gel cups they were the most comfortable I've ever worn.