Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Muff Recommendations

Blue Jacket

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs. They're great for the price, but they give me a headache after wearing them for a couple hours, especially with eye pro.

I splurged and got a set of MSA Sordin's with the gel cups and I love them. They're pricey, but I can wear them all day with no problems.

Almost the same here. The Leight Impact Sports sound good and work well.....when mostly static. During lots of movement, the cups are pretty stiff and thin, and thus would move a bit *for me* and thus not seal well all the time.

When I use muffs, it is the MSA Sordins with gel cups as they are comfortable, seal well, give good sound, and haven't shifted on me.

I currently have the Howard Leight Impact Sports. I need to adjust them to the smallest size which then inhibits the ear pieces from rotating and sealing around my ears. I double up with them. I need to figure out what the plan is moving forward but they aren't comfortable at all for me.

I used to use the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs. They're great for the price, but they give me a headache after wearing them for a couple hours, especially with eye pro.

I splurged and got a set of MSA Sordin's with the gel cups and I love them. They're pricey, but I can wear them all day with no problems.

Almost the same here. The Leight Impact Sports sound good and work well.....when mostly static. During lots of movement, the cups are pretty stiff and thin, and thus would move a bit *for me* and thus not seal well all the time.

When I use muffs, it is the MSA Sordins with gel cups as they are comfortable, seal well, give good sound, and haven't shifted on me.

^^^^ what these guys said. I too went through several pairs of the cheaper electronic muffs. I should have started with the Sordins and gel ear cups. Money well spent.

MSA's are without a doubt the best, but I have been running Peltor Tac 6's (3M) since they first came out. They are cheaper today, usually $55. All my 3 guns rifles have Miculek comps and they work fine for that. Get the neck band model because you can wear if overhead or behind, and the ears can be turned upside down also so it gives you more clearance on the rifle.

157547.jpg

Sounds like the overwhelming consensus is MSA Sordin's, and quite a few votes for the gel cups. These are an expensive head est. $285 though Amazon, is there anywhere else that might be less expensive? I was able to find the Peltor's for about $55 dollars.

I guess this is like everything else, buy once cry once.

Sounds like the overwhelming consensus is MSA Sordin's, and quite a few votes for the gel cups. These are an expensive head est. $285 though Amazon, is there anywhere else that might be less expensive? I was able to find the Peltor's for about $55 dollars.

I guess this is like everything else, buy once cry once.

I think they are $269 if you're on the DSG Arms email list.

The Sordins with the gel inserts are the best from a comfort standpoint. My only complaint is that when I double plug under them, I might as well be wearing passive muffs. The Pro Ears Gold were much better as far as amplification, but they were less comfortable.

Mine came from the DSG email sale list as well. They put them on sale several times a year. That's the cheapest place I found. Make sure you watch closely though. There are several models and they come with and without the gel cups. So, you might think it's a great deal, only to find it isn't the right version! Thankfully DSG has good customer service.....

went from howard leights (they sat on my ears vs going over them and just weren't that comfortable) to pro ears 300's. the pro ears are a lot more comfy (go over the ears don't sit on them) and they haven't bothered me during any 3 gun matches.

I have used Impact Sports for ~5-7?? years, first pair finally quit a few months ago. Never had any comfort problems, but I usually remove them when resetting and between stages. I have a set of Ghost Stryke in the ear - they are hard to beat for sound reduction, they do pickup more wind noise than the Impact's, and being in the ear electronic makes my voice sound odd to me.

While I have not tried the Sordins they seem rated very low on the NR scale.

Edited by toothandnail

The MSA Sordins with the gel cups are money well spent. I have been running a pair for over 8 years with only the occasional battery change. I also have a pair with integrated comm's that I use at work. Never had an issue with them at all. I was going through Peltors every 15-18 month before I made the switch.

I went through Howard Leights, Peltors, and finally got some Gold Ears Pro. I wouldn't wear anything else now. The sound quality is so much better than the others. I wear them all day long and they don't hurt at the end of the day.

The Sordins with the gel inserts are the best from a comfort standpoint. My only complaint is that when I double plug under them, I might as well be wearing passive muffs. The Pro Ears Gold were much better as far as amplification, but they were less comfortable.

This has been my experience as well. I was extremely disappointed in the poor sound amplification and quality of the sordins, especially given their cost. I wear surefire EP3s under, so I can still hear quite well between the EP3s and the sordin sound amplification, but still have that extra protection in case I accidentally lift the muff with my stock or something.

That said, with the gel inserts, the sordins are absolutely the most comfortable to wear for long periods. Combined with their short overall ear cup size and low profile, they seal better and keep out of the way better than anything else I've used, and are my preferred ear pro in conjunction with the EP3s.

I wear Peltor Tactical Pros. They're bulky, heavy, and expensive, but they have the best noise reduction of any electronic muffs I've ever worn and are comfortable despite the weight. I wear plugs underneath and turn the volume up in the muffs so I can hear people talking. Works great, especially around rifles with brakes and Open guns.

Edited by CaptainOverkill

I've been using a set of Dillon electronic muffs for 15+ years now, and I'm still happy with them. Maybe there is better out there, but why fix what's not broken? They work for me with rifles / shotguns.

What about the Walker's Razor Slim Low Pro? They're not nearly as expensive as the Sordins or Gold Ear Pros, so I'm sure you won't get the same quality audio. However, I've read several reviews of people preferring it to the Impact Sports.

Edited by MissionaryMike

• 2 weeks later...

I have the impact sports and they have been great.. I just got back from shooting Area 1 and I have to say although to like my muffs I am really considering something in ear like from house of hearing or something similar. Anyone have input on that type of setup?