Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA considered expensive compared to other sports or hobbies?

My grandkids (2 of the 5) play ice hockey ... :surprise:

if they are on a travel team, that stuff adds up pretty fast. If they are just playing locally,it's still in the vicinity $10-15/game.

They don't have the kind of winters (ice) in NYS that you do in Idaho. :sick:

So ice time is more expensive here ...

And, yes, these are two different travelling teams ... :surprise:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offshore fishing (tuna, Marlin, dolphin, wahoo)

35' Luhrs flybridge: $150,000

Annual dock fees: $6,000

Annual maintenance if nothing major breaks: $5,000

Annual insurance: $3,000

Annual diesel fuel (400 gal fuel tank): $5,000-$7,000

Fishing tackle investment: $7,000-$10,000

Bait& ice/trip: $50

Competitive shooting; dirt cheap ...

interesting how many shooters (3 gunners) that I know come from a motorsport racing background.

Sounds like there are quite a few in the pistol side as well.

We did motorcross, TT, harescrambles - decided to do something SAFER. :D

Edited by toothandnail

interesting how many shooters (3 gunners) that I know come from a motorsport racing background.

Harescrambles were soon much fun!!

Harescrambles were soon much fun!!

I rode several on my Trials bike - in July/Aug :wacko: , one of the few times I thought - I could REALLY die here!

I understand #11 (probably an historical miniature wargamer). Harley riding costs more. I know people that golf a lot and spend more on equipment, fees, travel, etc. I started shooting a few SASS (Cowboy Action) matches as well (had the level-action rifle and some cowboy boots, just needed two six-guns, holsters, and a side-by-side coach gun). Need to reload 45 Colt, but only shoot 100 rounds per match. 3-gun definitely costs more.

I think it's very affordable. I've known people that spend more on Starbucks than I spend monthly, on average. I think where I get in trouble, and it's this way with all my hobbies, is I like "stuff". more guns for more divisions, more gear to see what I prefer

Red

Cheaper than smoking cigarettes by far. Cheaper than drugs and a MUCH better high. Cheaper than building muscle cars. Cheaper than my HD payment every month.

More expensive than butt scratching. More expensive than video games. More expensive than a six pack.

Start shooting multiple divisions, the costs begin to climb. But still the most fun you can have not nekkid.

An old adage, "If it flies, floats or f#^*s you're better off renting it."

Another I seem to find true as well is, "If it has wheels, a motor or goes boom it's probably fun."

Edited by rowdyb

A tricked out triathlon bike costs about as much as a good open gun. $150 for running shoes every couple of months. Wetsuits that cost over a grand. Entry fee for Ironman is 700 bucks or so. Add in all of the extras and shooting is downright affordable!!

Edited by taco101

It's way cheaper than therapy...

But .... isn't it therapy? The ancient Chinese art of "gun pao".

It's way cheaper than therapy...

But .... isn't it therapy? The ancient Chinese art of "gun pao".

Ya got me there. OK, how about this: It's the cheapest form of therapy...

I come from a Muscle Car/Drag Racing background. This is cheap compared to that. My Brother raises Horses and that costs a fortune.

It is really up to you. I have a buddy that shoots his old service Glock in production and has minimal costs overall. Others have $7,000 Open pistols and travel all over. That gets expensive. But everyone decides what they want.

I play hockey (goalie) and my mask alone was $1000, add $500 for a cool paint job, $2500 for pads, and about $1500-$2000 for the rest of the gear and you are in it for a ton.

USPSA is mid ranged IMO. Not cheap, but there is a lot more expensive stuff out there you can do!

Well, compared to stickball, sure.

But for the fun and expertise gotten from it, not so much. If one is a shooter anyway not so expensive. Believe it or not it IS possible to do this w/o much expense. At least on paper.

My first SS gun that I shot in USPSA was a POS Hardballer that would jam every few shots (I bought it many years before). The seller thought I was insane to buy it. But I bought ammo from him and had him take it out to shoot it while I watched. I knew exactly what was wrong and it would be taken care of in my working the 1911 over. I think I paid $250 for it. I wound up with belt gear for USPSA to the tune of probably $100. Mags, ammo, reloading gear, and such I already had. BTW, That gun was and still is a shooter. I don't know how many rounds I've put through it but I had the pin holes enlarged because the holes were elongating, and new pins and such installed already. It should be good for the rest of my life, but I also don't shoot it as often as I once did. At one time it wasn't unusual for me to put 1k rounds through it in a month, that was with a single stage press. Folks would come up to me and ask,"What ARE you shooting?". They couldn't believe it could do what I was doing with it. I'm not fast, but I have no problem with accuracy, neither did/does that 1911. A 1911 is a fine handgun and a decent one can be had for $600. Work on it yourself and you can really get it to perform. There are books on the subject.

OK, this last time plunging into USPSA it was more expensive. But it doesn't need to be. If one shoots a production gun and keeps it production it's the cost of the gun, belt gear, mags and ammo basically. Get caught up in purchased mod's and it costs more. But will the gun be a home defense gun? If so, the gun is $0 expense for competing. It's shot in competition monthly to test it and to get one accustomed to stress. Call it R&D and training.

So with creative accounting the expense of shooting is pretty minimal.