Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation for home defense gun

StraightSh00ter

A friend asked me to help him purchase his first gun, a revolver for home defense. I can help with the process but don't know much specific to that tyoe of gun. Can you guys mention a couple of key points to consider, and maybe brands to look at or avoid? Colt, S&W, and Ruger seemed to be the ones coming up in a Google search.

I suggested (an American) double action only since he wants his wife to be able to use it if needed and I don't expect either of them to do a lot of recreational shooting. I don't know what else to look for other than comfort, length, caliber (what are common calibers?) , and any loading nuances (moon clips or... ?)

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caliber depends on their location and experience - if they're not going to practice

with the gun, I'd stick to a .22 or .38. But, I hope they get some experience

shooting, & RELOADING the gun - especially in the dark.

They should give some thought to how they plan on securing the gun so that

it is instantly retrievable in the dark ... :ph34r:

I like Steve's idea re: shotshells or a duplex load of some type - I think that

birdshot might be a little light - Need low flash loads - subsonic.

Any brand that feels good to both of them should be good - I'd stick with a

short barrel and suggest some type of night sights or optics (laser?). :cheers:

While I think the .410 revolvers make nice snake guns, I don't like shot shells in revolvers for self defense.

With a rifled barrel, they pattern poorly. A .410 slug has less energy than a 45 long Colt. Buckshot is 32 caliber round ball, and a .410 holds what 4 00 shot pellets?

I have seen some really good local gun store deals in the used revolver section. Some really good deals can be found on Smith and Wesson model 65's and Ruger Security Six's. They are both well made .357 revolvers that would be good for home defense.

Edited by toothguy

For the average user a full size 38/357 or 45 Colt by S&W or Ruger would be a good choice. For what it's worth I have quite a few revolvers and my lady will not shoot anything but a 3" GP100, it's the most comfortable for her. The grip, weight, and controls need to be comfortable for both parties. Even if you go big with a 44 or 45 there are low recoil defense loads available. If it were me I'd pick a 45 Colt with standard pressure full wadcutters or a 3-4" mid sized 357.

Edited by Alaskan454

My wife carries a Ruger LCR with CT in 38 special. I saw one today in 9mm that I wish they made when we bought hers! For home defense only I would get a cheap mossberg 500 and keep it in the closet

Thanks guys - lots of good info.

He is the one that introduced me to the Judge, but for some reason I know he's decided against it. It might have something to do with the way it reloads, or an adapter needed to go between handgun and shotgun loads? I know he likes the idea of a .45 but that might be a bit much for the wife if she doesn't have much shooting experience. I'll mention the shotgun - my opinion is that a small black pump shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon - everyone knows that sound, it's hard to imagine anyone not running or shitting themselves if they hear it.

He seems to like the smaller guns (3"-4") so that's good - I would have looked at 5" but I might be a 1911ittle biased.

Since they've decided on a revolver I would then look at caliber. .357 would be ideal but since it's for a woman I would look at a 38 or 9mm. They need to be able to shoot it accurately. Both calipers are sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend asked me to help him purchase his first gun, a revolver for home defense. I can help with the process but don't know much specific to that tyoe of gun. Can you guys mention a couple of key points to consider, and maybe brands to look at or avoid? Colt, S&W, and Ruger seemed to be the ones coming up in a Google search.

I suggested (an American) double action only since he wants his wife to be able to use it if needed and I don't expect either of them to do a lot of recreational shooting. I don't know what else to look for other than comfort, length, caliber (what are common calibers?) , and any loading nuances (moon clips or... ?)

Thanks,

Joe

Are these people who would be willing/dedicated to putting in the practice time to handle their eventual weapon of choice? How does their hand size compare (if they're planning on using the same weapon)? Do they have children? Do they live in a stand-alone house, attached, or apartment complex? Do they have an alarm system? Cell phone? Do they have an emergency plan in case of break-in?

A revolver chambered in .357 is a good compromise as they can both practice ALOT with .38 Special without being punished and developing a flinch. The idea of a shotgun is a sound one as well particularly in 20 gauge. If they can afford both, great. If not, I'd lean toward the shotgun.

Ruger GP 100 or the older security six in 357 magnum then load it with +p 38 specials.

Rugers are very reliable and handle well. The 38 special is easier on the gun & shooter.

Best home defense load would be something like the glaser rounds, less chance of over penetration through walls.

The trouble with something like the LCR is it's light and the recoil is tougher.

Choose the longest barrel they handle well. If it's for home defense go with a 4".

While I think the .410 revolvers make nice snake guns, I don't like shot shells in revolvers for self defense.

With a rifled barrel, they pattern poorly. A .410 slug has less energy than a 45 long Colt. Buckshot is 32 caliber round ball, and a .410 holds what 4 00 shot pellets?

You need to check out the personal defense rounds for the judge, they are pretty brutal

They should go to a gun range where they can rent different revolvers. Whatever they shoot best is what they should end up with. Failing that, they should find a used Taurus M65 or something similar in .357. Get it checked by a gunsmith, to make sure the trigger hasn't been lightened to the point of unreliability. Shoot 100 rounds (each of them) through it, half .38 Spl. +P and half .357 Mag. Whatever load they hit best with is what it should have in it if it must be used.

Shoot a bunch of different revolvers at a rental range.

I like the K Frame S&W with a 4" barrel. It generally fits most people well. They run forever. Easy to learn to shoot well with 38 Special loads. Enough mass that recoil isn't punishment. Small enough to carry concealed if you choose to. And the list goes on. Many great values on police or prison guard trade-in revolvers.

Ruger Double Action revolvers are a close second, though their DA trigger is somewhat heavier

I have had Taurus and Rossi as a result of trades. I DO NOT recommend them. A used S&W or Ruger is a more reliable choice in my experience.

Training and Practice are essential parts of firearms ownership. This can't be over emphasized.

Good luck in the quest. Shooting rental guns with an experienced coach is probably the best education for your friends. It will do more to help them make an informed decision than anything else.

I'm one of those not in the shotgun camp, as being the best for home defense. Tight spaces, storage, handgun wins for me. If I didn't have kids and could have my shotgun next to the bed Id maybe feel different.

Lots of great advice. I agree 3-4". Steer them away from the snub noses. No reason to do that if it isn't for carry. I have owned a lot of revolvers from s&w, ruger, Dan Wesson, Taurus and some embarrassing brands. SA, DA, from cheap 22s to 41 and 44 mags. I don't think a 357 can be beat, whether you shoot 38's in it or 357 at least you have the option. And really importantly make sure the woman can fire it. A good reason to stick w better guns w better triggers. Hand strength can be an issue w a bad double action trigger.

One not mentioned is the model 15 from Dan Wesson if you can track one down. Prices seem higher than when I had mine I wish now I'd kept it.

If they're willing to put in a lot of practice time? Then talk them into a striker fired 9mm with a light on it

Red

357 Mag (they can shoot all the 38 Special in it they desire)

3"-5" barrel

all steel frame

Any new or used Smith and Wesson double action

Ruger double action would be a close second

If they just won't spend the money, there are still a lot of S&W mod 10 used police guns out there. While I would prefer the option for 357 mag, 38 Special +P would get the job done.

They need to get some speed loaders and learn how to use them for whatever revolver they settle on.

Thanks,

Joe

Personally I'm not a fan of revolvers for SD/HD, I firmly believe they, along with shotguns are a poor choice for the average shooter.

1st choice would be an AR, with a semi-auto pistol as a distant second choice. The average shooter would be far better served with either semi platform that I mentioned..... than a revolver or shotgun.

Training and practice are important and I can't stress that enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk