Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to remove case lube ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't use it to start with. My system is to run cases thru walnut treated with mineral oil for cleaning, and then thru corn treated with nufinish car polish. They come out slick and shiny, no lube needed. The additives load the media so it lasts far longer, and there is no dust.

Edited by 9x45

I use some One Shot when loading pistol ammo on a Dillon. I tried tumbling the first time for 5 minutes in corn cob. The One shot was off and the cases shiny. I chronographed the load and no big surprises. So now I tumble all my high volume loaded pistol rounds for 5 minutes. Stupid misc crap does not find its way on the case when I am case gauging. My thumb is cleaner after loading rounds at a match or practice.

I am sure longer would be fine but I want to be consistent in my process.

I use carbide dies (as I am sure everybody posting in this thread does, at least for pistol).

But I make it a point to take a Q-tip dipped in WD-40 and swirl it up inside all the dies except for the inside of the powder through funnel. I will do that at the start of a reloading session and every 100 rounds. It cleans a lot of crud out of there. On some dies, I do have to peel the cotton off a little bit to get it around the decapping rod.

I am thinking I have never lubed any straight wall pistol cases, ever.

Edited by Chills1994

i would say its going to be pretty dependent on what you use for case lube in the first place.

If youre using the dillon stuff - they definitely tumble to get it off.

I havent felt a need to remove lube when spraying cases down with 'one-shot'.

Currently - I use this silicon spray called zep-par, that a local shooter turned us onto. its sold by the case but works really well. http://www.apmengineparts.com/010701.html

One Shot user here as well, just leave it on. Since going to wet tumbling I don't get the dirty thumb while loading mags either, there isn't anything dirty to get on the cases now. I did clean my dies once I started using the wet tumbling though. Just once, as they haven't gotten dirty since.

I use Dillon lube for loading all my pistol ammo. It makes for much smoother operation, and I use the same lube for prepping my rifle brass anyway (I don't care for One Stuck). The lube comes off just fine after 5 minutes in a tumbler with dry media. No trouble at all... I wonder why I loaded ammo without lube for so many years.

In full disclosure, I do have TWO tumblers - one clean, one dirty - so the above approach is more convenient for me than most I guess.

• 2 weeks later...