Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production Gun with largest grip?

Haha yes Stuman, I do know exactly what you're going through. It's not just a matter of finding something with a XXL grip, it's getting a gun that you actually want AND it happens to fit your hand. I've either shot or held all of the models mentioned above other than the Para. I really wanted the 226 to work because there are models that really fit well. Unfortunately, in my opinion at least, it didn't come close to the CZ for USPSA / action pistol games.

So, the Stock II. I love it and my guess would be most large handed CZ fans will as well. I got mine slightly used with all of the necessary parts already installed because I'm fairly useless with tools and I wanted to shoot it ASAP. If you're in the market for a new one, NOW is the time as they're finally available from multiple sources. I would suggest buying from Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop because Tim Meyers runs a tight ship and the prices are fair. If you PM me I'll send you some more info.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about Tanfoglio Limited Pro versus Stock 2? Why does everyone recommend the Stock 2 with almost no mention of the Limited Pro? Both are production legal and the Pro has a slightly longer barrel and is a bit cheaper.

Edited by stuman

The stock 2 has a cone barrel while the LP does not. I've never shot a LP but it seems that most that have a LP end up moving to the S2. I think the overall balance and size of the S2 is better from what I've read. This is just what I have taken away from reading the forum. I love my stock 2's

The stock 2 has a cone barrel while the LP does not. I've never shot a LP but it seems that most that have a LP end up moving to the S2. I think the overall balance and size of the S2 is better from what I've read. This is just what I have taken away from reading the forum. I love my stock 2's

What do you have done to your stock 2?

Buy some pro grip. Apply it to the back of your strong hand so you can get a little more traction with your weak hand and shoot what you already have. You're all putting too much thought into this.

Whatever you do don't do this. So long as the gun is accurate and reliable enough how it fits you is the most important thing for getting the best performance out of your gun. I almost went back to the G34 because I was so frustrated with grip issues on the CZ, then I discovered the Stock II and it is great. I have found that the main issue isn't how "big" the grip is but how long (dimension parallel to the bore) is. I went through the exact same problem you are going through. I had to figure it out the very expensive way.

Buy some pro grip. Apply it to the back of your strong hand so you can get a little more traction with your weak hand and shoot what you already have. You're all putting too much thought into this.

Whatever you do don't do this. So long as the gun is accurate and reliable enough how it fits you is the most important thing for getting the best performance out of your gun. I almost went back to the G34 because I was so frustrated with grip issues on the CZ, then I discovered the Stock II and it is great. I have found that the main issue isn't how "big" the grip is but how long (dimension parallel to the bore) is. I went through the exact same problem you are going through. I had to figure it out the very expensive way.

You hit the nail on the head. "Long" grips work best. I actually had the chance to shoot a stage with a Stock 2 Thursday night and I liked it a lot. Although I wish the grip was just a little bit "longer", it wasn't quite perfect (but much improved over my CZ). I wonder how the G34 compares with largest backstrap.

I was disregarding the pro grip advice because I agree and feel that gun fit is one of the most important aspects. My current CZ isn't production legal anyway, so a new gun is a must. Why not make sure it fits great?

Edited by stuman

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on Stoeger kits...and for Stock 2 with the factory would grips. I have huge hands and I was dead set on buying the CZ until I got my hands on the Stock 2.

The Blade Tech holster they have is also a good deal. However, I'm not sure what the holster is actually made for since Blade Tech doesn't actually make a holster for the Stock 2...regardless, it works...

For big hands:

CZ Tactical Sport or P09

Eaa Witness Stock 2

Glock Gen 4 17 or 34

XDm

Para LDA double stack.

Several Beretta variants.

Ruger has some big handled guns but no experience.

I have not handled the Sig 320.

My vote for easiest platform to mod and be successful with:

G34

Edited by dogtired

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You could maybe do a Glock 20 and get a .40 Cal barrel and run .40 minor. The frame is large and I THINK going 10mm -> .40 S&W is okay since it is technically the same caliber but someone else can probably clarify.

You can also get a Glock 34 or something and build up the grip with epoxy and grit. The P320 and upcoming P320 target might be good for this because if you screw up/don't like it then it's just $30 for a new try.

You could maybe do a Glock 20 and get a .40 Cal barrel and run .40 minor. The frame is large and I THINK going 10mm -> .40 S&W is okay since it is technically the same caliber but someone else can probably clarify.

You can also get a Glock 34 or something and build up the grip with epoxy and grit. The P320 and upcoming P320 target might be good for this because if you screw up/don't like it then it's just $30 for a new try.

Can't do all that in production

The rulebook seemed to imply it could be done

It does say you can use grit and glue in production (it says it is the same as stippling) and the barrel replacement rule states caliber and not round, length, etc. The rule book defines caliber as just diameter which would mean you could go 10mm -> .40 S&W since the bullets and case diameter are the same.

The rulebook seemed to imply it could be done

It does say you can use grit and glue in production (it says it is the same as stippling) and the barrel replacement rule states caliber and not round, length, etc. The rule book defines caliber as just diameter which would mean you could go 10mm -> .40 S&W since the bullets and case diameter are the same.

The caliber change would be fine. Building up the grip though would fall under changing the grip profile or contour, which is expressly disallowed. Edited by Gooldylocks

Define build up. A layer of epoxy an grit adds slightly to the grip circumference, but more than some tapes and does not significantly change the profile. Adding putty or several layers of epoxy and changing the shape of the grip would make it illegal. So what's too much grit?

You know it when you see it I guess. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I have large hands and loved the Beretta. I just moved to a CZ75 sp-01 and the grip on the CZ is TINY compared to the beretta. I am having a hard time with it. But since I read the hogue wrap around grips are legal, they are going on the CZ.

A decent gun store (as in not a big-box) ought to have a clerk who can show you the different backstraps. As others have mentioned, Tanfos are plenty chunky, as are the Berettas. There's also the various flavors of P226 that are on the Production list, though as I gather there are fewer smiths who can work the triggers over on those. Part of what you run into with all of the DA/SA guns is getting the DA pull down light enough to be pleasant but with a mainspring/hammer combo that will still light your primers. You can very easily find yourself in Federal primer only territory, which absolutely sucks especially if you don't reload.

That's what I don't like about the Sig. Seems like there is almost zero USPSA following and aftermarket. It would tough to go from the CZ to that. I'll still be sure to check them out.

Does anyone have experience with the stock Triggers on the Stock 2 versus the Xfive?

Actually P320 has a big following in our area lately. Currently the fad for most.

Sorry to say i stuck on my CZC Shadow. You can look at CZ-P09 with Large backstrap and put grip tape on it.

bgc