Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production Gun with largest grip?

Hi All,

Recently got into the world of pistol shooting, specifically USPSA. Been shooting Limited Minor with my CZ75SAO 9mm that I bought before I really knew much about handguns or technique.

I would like to start shooting in the Production division, and I am currently in the search for a pistol to fill that role. My issue is that I have freakishly long fingers. With the CZ and a standard grip, my strong hand fingers wrap around the grip and almost touch my palm on the other side. This leaves almost no area for my weak hand to get a good purchase on the pistol. I'm left with my weak hand mostly resting on my strong hand fingertips and I feel like it is hindering my grip. Since I am running limited now, I can run Hogue wraparound grips which help add a little bulk to the gun, but it's still not enough. These are also not production legal so it doesn't help me there.

Thus, I am searching for a competitive USPSA production gun with a large grip. In your experience, which production gun has the largest grip?

I have looked at guns like the M&P9, VP9 and P320. The issue is no gun store has them with the largest backstrap/side panel/frame installed so it is hard to figure out which one will truly work the best for me. I am open to all suggestions!

Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding Hogue grip on CZ, I've seen this floating around :

Wrap around Hogue grip is legal for production class per John Amidon here is his statement regarding the grip.

"Hogue wrap around grips with the finger groves was part of the original CZ 75 so they are legal for the CZ guns, and any models that offer the finger grove grip frame."

Also, the stock 2 will definitely feel bigger in the hand vs CZ75/SP01

I am in the same boat Stuman. I got in to handguns & USPSA last October and before I realized the importance of room for the weak hand I already owned 2 CZ SP-01s. Great guns but as you've learned they're not nearly wide enough for those of us with XL paws / ET fingers.

I tried every oversized grip available and finally settled on Double Alphas thick competition grips, extra tape on front - back straps, and the thinnest Limbsaver grip sleeve available (the one meant for AR-15 grips) slid over the whole grip. Grip sleeves are Production legal and I even sent a picture of my conconction to Troy to confirm. This set up worked ok until sweaty hands became part of the equation in June. I quickly learned that grip sleeves & high humidity don't mix.

I finally found a Stock 2 and haven't looked back. I could still do with a bigger grip but it's the best alternative I've found especially if you want to stick with a metal frame gun. Good luck with your search.

Glock 21, huge grip, find a very light load

I like the out of the box thinking, but one of my main reasons for switching to production is to shoot 9mm.

I am in the same boat Stuman. I got in to handguns & USPSA last October and before I realized the importance of room for the weak hand I already owned 2 CZ SP-01s. Great guns but as you've learned they're not nearly wide enough for those of us with XL paws / ET fingers.

I tried every oversized grip available and finally settled on Double Alphas thick competition grips, extra tape on front - back straps, and the thinnest Limbsaver grip sleeve available (the one meant for AR-15 grips) slid over the whole grip. Grip sleeves are Production legal and I even sent a picture of my conconction to Troy to confirm. This set up worked ok until sweaty hands became part of the equation in June. I quickly learned that grip sleeves & high humidity don't mix.

I finally found a Stock 2 and haven't looked back. I could still do with a bigger grip but it's the best alternative I've found especially if you want to stick with a metal frame gun. Good luck with your search.

Wow, are you my long lost twin? It really does seem like we are in the same boat. I tried the shooting innovations cz scales and even those were not big enough for me, and that was the widest I could find. Seems like a lot of people have good things to say about the Stock II. Where did you pick yours up? I feel I will have a hard time trying to track one down locally to try out.

Thanks all and keep the suggestions coming!

Regarding Hogue grip on CZ, I've seen this floating around :

Wrap around Hogue grip is legal for production class per John Amidon here is his statement regarding the grip.

"Hogue wrap around grips with the finger groves was part of the original CZ 75 so they are legal for the CZ guns, and any models that offer the finger grove grip frame."

Also, the stock 2 will definitely feel bigger in the hand vs CZ75/SP01

Interesting about the Hogue grip. Nice to know I can go that route if needed, but even the Hogue leaves less room for my weak hand than desired. Although better than nothing!

A decent gun store (as in not a big-box) ought to have a clerk who can show you the different backstraps. As others have mentioned, Tanfos are plenty chunky, as are the Berettas. There's also the various flavors of P226 that are on the Production list, though as I gather there are fewer smiths who can work the triggers over on those. Part of what you run into with all of the DA/SA guns is getting the DA pull down light enough to be pleasant but with a mainspring/hammer combo that will still light your primers. You can very easily find yourself in Federal primer only territory, which absolutely sucks especially if you don't reload.

A decent gun store (as in not a big-box) ought to have a clerk who can show you the different backstraps. As others have mentioned, Tanfos are plenty chunky, as are the Berettas. There's also the various flavors of P226 that are on the Production list, though as I gather there are fewer smiths who can work the triggers over on those. Part of what you run into with all of the DA/SA guns is getting the DA pull down light enough to be pleasant but with a mainspring/hammer combo that will still light your primers. You can very easily find yourself in Federal primer only territory, which absolutely sucks especially if you don't reload.

Thanks for bringing that up. You cant forget the Sig 226 X-Five Allround and XFIVE Allround (apparently the newer revised addition, I think...) Its a big old gun, with a SADA trigger available in 9mm with a 5" barrel and long dust cover.

P226-X-Five_Allround-detail-L.jpg

226-X5-AR-detail-Hero.jpg

That's what I don't like about the Sig. Seems like there is almost zero USPSA following and aftermarket. It would tough to go from the CZ to that. I'll still be sure to check them out.

Does anyone have experience with the stock Triggers on the Stock 2 versus the Xfive?

CZ is pretty small even with the thicker grips. I am currently shooting a SIG P320 with a large grip module. The Tanfos are thicker than the CZs if you want to go for a DA/SA.

What is larger, P320 Large frame or Tanfo?

If all you care about is grip size find a para ordnance p18 lda (limited or equivelent if you can find one) and send it to someone like jim anglin to get the trigger done. I think those are still legal in production. Can't imagine a gun with a chunkier grip...

If all you care about is grip size find a para ordnance p18 lda (limited or equivelent if you can find one) and send it to someone like jim anglin to get the trigger done. I think those are still legal in production. Can't imagine a gun with a chunkier grip...

It's certainly not all I care about. It's just something I need with my size hand. Notice I said "competitive" handgun in the first post :) I'm looking for suggestions that I can look into and eventually pick the best option for.

That's what I don't like about the Sig. Seems like there is almost zero USPSA following and aftermarket. It would tough to go from the CZ to that. I'll still be sure to check them out.

Does anyone have experience with the stock Triggers on the Stock 2 versus the Xfive?

I don't have any experience with the Sig, but the Stock 2 trigger from the factory is horrendous. Like, comically bad. And that isn't from the frame of reference of competition guns, I'm talking I'm the frame of ANY guns. The DA is like shooting a finely abused HiPoint or Taurus snubbie. The SA is probably heavier than the DA of a tuned SP01, and much less shootable.

It's certainly not all I care about. It's just something I need with my size hand. Notice I said "competitive" handgun in the first post :) I'm looking for suggestions that I can look into and eventually pick the best option for.

Oh don't get me wrong I never shot one all that well back in the day, but I think Todd Jarret managed to win at least one national with one. Course then again I think Ben won at least one national title with a Beretta so no proof either way there :-)

Yes stock 2 triggers are god awful out of the box but with some parts and some TLC it will become very good, however no DA/SA gun has as good of a trigger as a CZ. My stock 2 has a 5.75 da and an 2.5 sa and has no issues setting off federal primers.

What area of the country do you live in. I'm sure you can find someone that has one of these guns so you can handle it before buying.

Kansas City

I don't have any experience with the Sig, but the Stock 2 trigger from the factory is horrendous. Like, comically bad. And that isn't from the frame of reference of competition guns, I'm talking I'm the frame of ANY guns. The DA is like shooting a finely abused HiPoint or Taurus snubbie. The SA is probably heavier than the DA of a tuned SP01, and much less shootable.

This is frustrating. I figured a $1k gun would have an excellent trigger, especially when a CZ costs about half.

Yes stock 2 triggers are god awful out of the box but with some parts and some TLC it will become very good, however no DA/SA gun has as good of a trigger as a CZ. My stock 2 has a 5.75 da and an 2.5 sa and has no issues setting off federal primers.

Who is the go-to for Tangfoglio triggers/parts?