Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA Eliminate A Division?

rbebeau

There has been a lot of talk about too many divisions 'watering down' the sport and HQ making decisions without input from the membership. So lets get some data! Do you think USPSA should eliminate a division? You can vote for multiple ones.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a no brainer!

I'm amazed at the number of votes to eliminate L10. Remember, there are some areas that still restrict mag capacity.

The rules already cover that, in states with restricted capacity Limited is restricted to the state limit. Of course that doesn't cover the fact that in theory those folks can't compete at the national level due to a presumed lack of equipment.

Of course, revolver is eliminating itself if we are honest.

Edited by Vlad

In those areas with mag restrictions in Limited don't they run 10 rds? If that is the case, why do we need Lim 10. Essentially, Limited becomes Lim 10.

That's my understanding of how it works in states that restrict magazine capacity. Would there be any guns really impacted in non magazine restriction states if L10 was eliminated?

I voted to eliminate L-10, Carry Optics and Revolver. Production was invented for 10 round sticks, Carry Optics guys should just spend the money and go Open, and Revolver guys have their own game, ICORE.

Personally there should only be 2 divisions:

Unlimited, Rules, must only be a pistol caliber. No restrictions on gun or gear, anything goes.

As Designed, Rules, 100% OEM factory parts, no modifications except sights and grips. Gear, single belt only, bucket holster and mag pouches must loop thru belt.

Major at 175PF and Minor at 150PF.

Edited by 9x45

In those areas with mag restrictions in Limited don't they run 10 rds? If that is the case, why do we need Lim 10. Essentially, Limited becomes Lim 10.

It depends on the state. In NY they've gotten rid of all preban grandfathering so Limited effectively becomes L10. However, in states like Massachusetts we have grandfathered prebans. I can shoot Limited with a Glock and preban mags. However no prebans exist for M&P40Pro so I shoot it in L10. If L10 went away I could either be at a severe disadvantage, chance being a felon, or not play.

it wouldn't bother me to combine L10 and ss and maybe even production, especially at local matches.

it also wouldn't bother me to require 15-20 shooters in a division to recognize it at L2 or L3 matches.

But honestly I don't care that much. When I shoot any limited capacity division, I compare my scores to all the other ones.

Here's how many classifier runs have been shot in each division, going back to around mid-2006... only counting cases where the full match was reported to USPSA, so there's a lot missing, but I don't think it would have much affect on the relative rankings. Restricting to only matches in 2015 doesn't change anything significantly, except PROD and LTD switch... but they're pretty close either way.

| REV | 11199 |
| LTDTEN | 28300 |
| SS | 48551 |
| OPEN | 62462 |
| LTD | 114657 |
| PROD | 116103 |

Carry Optics obviously doesn't have enough data to rank yet.

If we did want to eliminate a division, L-10 is the obvious choice. Revo is lesser shot, but is so different that those folks don't really have a good other home. L-10 shooters can shoot Lim or sometimes Prod.

The USPSA world clearly "revolves" around Production and Limited, and Open barely manages to keep up with 1/2 of either one.

looks like we have our answer ....

open

limited

Production

However, I'm with 9x45 ... mostly:

we only need 2 divisions:

Open .. unrestricted except that it must be a pistol caliber & PF 165

Production: as it comes from the manufacturer except for grips/sights & no mods, period. However, I'm ok with the current rules for belt, holster & mag pouches ... PF 125

A single year of data will not indicate a trend, and if considering changes to divisions then a trend analysis would be prudent. If this data is available for the past 10-15 years then plotting that on a line graph would help in determining which way the sport is headed with regard to participation across the divisions. L-10 may have low numbers now but if those numbers are consistent over a long period of time then dismantling it may cause a loss of members.

If however, the trend is downward then USPSA could use that information to either tweak the division to make it more palatable or reach out to those that compete in that division to see what the impact would be of elimination.

Incidentally if such data were available I suspect that Open would indicate a decline over the past ten years.

First off, the poll is no good, how can you pick NOT to eliminate a division and then have to pick a division ???

Second, what the hell is wantered down ??

The prize money ?!? The prize selection ?!?

This comes up every couple of years, dang limited/lim10/Single Stack/Productions guys tired of getting

whipped by us lowly revolver shooters B)

Revolver is the smallest division because it's the HARDEST division.

Edited by 10mmdave

Why eliminate a division, I don't understand the reasoning behind it besides what I've heard of getting rid of bloat? Last time I checked people that shoot Limited 10 is because they WANT TO SHOOT LIMITED 10, why are we forcing them out of that division? Are we doing it for lvl 2 matches and above to get rid of the "hiding" Mentality? Then why don't we emplace a rule that states if X amount of shooters do not sign up for the division, the division will not be recognized offically at the lvl2/lvl3 match?

It's goofy, but some states allow you to shoot hi cap mags if you already had them but restrict you to limits if you didn't. In those few places L10 does serve a purpose. Other than that it's just a hiding spot or worse, a division to enter if a gun or some other prize is going to the winner. We all know people who have signed up to shoot L10 at a big match because they now have 1 in 10 chance to win a gun as opposed to Limited being 1 in 60. But I still say it's a valid division for some. CO is really the only one that doesn't fit is USPSA since we are not the "carry" oriented sport.

That's my understanding of how it works in states that restrict magazine capacity. Would there be any guns really impacted in non magazine restriction states if L10 was eliminated?

Wilson KZ45.. which I've always wanted, and dang near talked myself into using L10 as an excuse... alas, the cons always outweigh my want for that particular gun.

Why in the hell does anyone care about what everyone else shoots? Shoot what you want, and let everyone else do the same. I don't believe that having 6,7, or 15 divisions puts any extra burden on HQ and lets see, at a club match we already have to enter a division for each shooter, so is scrolling a little further a big deal?

Why in the hell does anyone care about what everyone else shoots? Shoot what you want, and let everyone else do the same. I don't believe that having 6,7, or 15 divisions puts any extra burden on HQ and lets see, at a club match we already have to enter a division for each shooter, so is scrolling a little further a big deal?

I agree with this.