Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR comps

Patrick Sweeney

Mine has a bare muzzle and the stumpy "entry" stock with a Knight's one-inch extension w/ sling swivel. I'm guessing my stock is why mine is a bit lighter than yours. Mine's a flat top too, so there's a couple of ounces, even with the GG&G rear sight.

Perhaps it would be a bit more controllable with an A2 stock ... in any case, once I get the barrel threaded, I can do just about anything I need to do (after September).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davidwiz,

Actually, Yankee Hill Machine made the ZM Weapons (Al's company) compensator. They also make the Bushmaster Y-comp, with some subtle changes so as not to infringe upon Al's design.

Rhino,

The Bushy Y-comp style brakes are on par with the JP tank brake, but they have two distinct advantages. First, they are lighter. Part of the tank brakes effectiveness is achieved through its heavier weight, but it does through off the balance of the rifle slightly. Second, the Y-comp. has a sleeker profile. The JP tank brake gets caught on ports and door frames very easily. Yes, the Y-comp designs are very loud, if you're standing near them. When your shooting, it's not that noticeable, but that's also how you know it's working. Compensators turn recoil into noise :D Joking aside, either one will serve you well. The best thing you can do is try to catch a couple of different designs at your next local 3 gun match and try them out.

Erik

• 4 years later...

This thread was the closest I could find for this question:

I have a Nordic comp on my M&P15T. Now that I think I have settled on a load that I like (55gr MG FMJBT over 25gr of 2230), I get a consistent and significant dip after each shot. Is there anything an amatuer gunsmith can do to reduce the downward movement? Would opening up the bore of the comp allow more gas to escape that way and cause less force to be directed upward?

My next experiment will be a pencil barreled 14.5" gun with a welded Triangle brake to make the 16/16.5" length. Just enough barrel to get the comp out of the handguard. Liota wants a short/fast/light rifle, and I have a new Triangle comp. The little extra weight (of the Triangle) should feel OK on a shorty ;)

Alex

Alex. How about this rifle configuration for your wife:

Armalite mid length stainless barrel cut down to 14.5" recrowned and threaded for F2 comp. VTAC rifle length tube. Adjustable gas system under the handguard. Lightened bolt carrier+lightened carbine buffer.

Magpul CTR stock. JP trigger group. Miad grip and Larue SPR EE scope mount and Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24.

My wife had that combination last season and liked it a lot. Very fast and accurate. 300 meters group was 43mm with 5 shots.

Weight of that system is exactly 3 kilos

This season all is the same except barrell is Colt Gov't profile cut down from 20" to 17" and scope is Swarovski Z6i 1-6

Weight is same as above combination.

Regards

Taisto

Are you sure the dip isn't from the bolt carrier slamming forward?

LOL! I'm not sure of anything...how can I tell?

Which way the rifle goes at the squeeze of the trigger. If it dips immediately, it's the comp, if there's a slight delay, it's the weight of the bolt carrier.

Are you sure the dip isn't from the bolt carrier slamming forward?

LOL! I'm not sure of anything...how can I tell?

Which way the rifle goes at the squeeze of the trigger. If it dips immediately, it's the comp, if there's a slight delay, it's the weight of the bolt carrier.

Ahh...that explains it. It moves immediately downard, then hesitates for a very short moment, then wiggles/dips slightly lower again. I guess the first movement is the comp and the second is when the bolt comes back forward. I shot it before the comp and it rose, but from what I remember, it rose less than what it currently drops.

Thanks!

Take the comp off and shoot the rifle.----------Larry

Bingo!

Don't drill holes in the bottom of the comp, too much dust shooting prone.

You can try drilling the exit hole but then the rearward recoil will increase. I would say try a different comp. I have 2 that have ports designed to reduce muzzle rise with a good portion of the gas being directed up and both make the guns recoil down. I have tried them on different rifles with different weight bolt carriers and the results are the same. These comps are excellent for shooting off a bench with the handguard supported, the sight picture barely moves but shooting off the mags or offhand and the drip is really noticable.

Try a comp with a port design that directs the majority of gas to the side, like the Miculek, JP, Surefire.

Edited by TMC

I have a Nordic comp on my M&P15T. Now that I think I have settled on a load that I like (55gr MG FMJBT over 25gr of 2230), I get a consistent and significant dip after each shot. Is there anything an amatuer gunsmith can do to reduce the downward movement? Would opening up the bore of the comp allow more gas to escape that way and cause less force to be directed upward?

If you have a comp, any comp for that matter that gives you a downward force upon shooting, open the bore up some.

As for the Nordic Comp, the bore is 6.5mm.....drill it out to 6.8mm or 7mm and your comp will stop dipping.

Tim

I think it is easier to see the sights coming back in on the second shot from slightly below than it is from above, so a little dip isn't necessarily a bad thing IF that works for you. High and right or low and right is what I want to eliminate. I don't want it to move to the sides at all, I want it to track up and down like an Open pistol that is set up right.

Man, talk about archeology. Be careful in reaming comps or "tuning" the ports.

What works perfectly with one load may not be so good with another, when you get down to the fine strokes. Change loads and you may find all the tuning is now wasted.

Also, swap the comp to another rifle (even one in the same configuration) and a comp may be different. Especially one made for Limited rifle.

The McArthur comp works so well, on so many rifles, because it is designed to simply overwhelm all the other variables. Barrel weight, carrier weight, buffer weight, all mean naught to the silver coke can.

Also, you cannot compare one comp to another unless you have two tuned rifles that recoil exactly the same sans comps. How many of us have shot rifles side-by-side that were "identical" but felt different? When we get to the fine-tunign, the rifle differences can become as big as the comp differences we're experiencing.

Well said Pat. I haven't heard of the McArthur comp. Do you have any info on it?

I've been on a quest to tame the recoil impulse on my POF piston gun, and haven't found any comp I truly feel comfortable with. Some are better than others on that gun. Some that are said to be some of the most efficient comps actually make it worse. Right now I'm using a Cooley, but I'm fond of the Miculek too. The piston guns are so different in their recoil impulse, traditional comps don't seem to work nearly as well as they do on di guns.

Well said Pat. I haven't heard of the McArthur comp. Do you have any info on it?

I've been on a quest to tame the recoil impulse on my POF piston gun, and haven't found any comp I truly feel comfortable with. Some are better than others on that gun. Some that are said to be some of the most efficient comps actually make it worse. Right now I'm using a Cooley, but I'm fond of the Miculek too. The piston guns are so different in their recoil impulse, traditional comps don't seem to work nearly as well as they do on di guns.

THIS Patrick has a McArthur in hand for the my 2nd article on AR comps. I can tell you a lot of thought went into

the beast but the O.D. will put you in OPEN.

Not sure why I am putting in the effort as the "other" Patrick referred too and I stated in article #1 that ultimately what makes

one gun/load/shooter happy, may/may not please the next. And so it goes......

Patrick E. Kelley

Well I keep hearing about piston guns recoiling different and from what I have seen they do. Now I will give you guys one for free....and if anyone starts making them I want the credit. So here goes..I have played with a piston gun and found that like a regular gas system AR the lighter the CARRIER the better it feels and jumps around MUCH LESS!!! anything that gets smacked to operate will ALWAYS feel smoother if the thing getting smacked is LIGHTER. That and a Rolling Thunder comp made this particular POF much better....not as good as a gas gunwith the same stuff, but better than a stock gas gun. Have fun now! KurtM

• 2 weeks later...

I finally shot my AR with the Nordic comp installed, and I like it. It's not nearly as loud or blasty as what it replaced, and you can't beat the price. Mine dips a little also, but I can live with it. Don't have to worry about muzzle rise anyway. So far it's my favorite comp.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you running a full weight carrier and buffer with a std gas system (I.E. non-adjustable)?

Patrick Kelly,

Can you update us here when your new article on comps is finished? I, for one, would like to see the outcome. Your write-ups are very well done and informative.

Thanks.

Thank you, at least someone feels the effort is worth it!

I have been WAY behind the curve as of late but have blocked out some time for testing in June.

Sorry for the delay.

Patrick

• 4 months later...