Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR comps

Patrick Sweeney

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One compensator factor that WILL change your group size and POI is the tension used to install a threaded comp.  Browning used a system called BOSS a few years back (and maybe they still do) which allowed one to adjust the tension on the barrel - and thus "tune" the tension to achieve a specific barrel harmonic, by trial and error, a shooter could shrink group size with a thinner, lighter barrel.

The same thing can happen w/ a comp; the tension used to install it can affect a barrel - generally more pronounced the lighter the barrel is.  For highpower, we used to loosen our flash suppresors and instal them finger tight w/ green locktite. CAUTION: if your comp lacks tension, it could shoot loose w/ disasterous results. This game (USPSA/IPSC) is all about inovation and invention, but if you are going to expirament w/ comp tension, make damn sure that comp will stay on the rifle no matter what.

Has anyone done any esperimenting with the AK style brake for the AR as sold by Bushmaster and others? It looks like somebody put a lot of thought into it with all the angled holes, expansion chamber and blast catcher surfaces. How does it compare?

I've shot the AK brake both on an AK (an AK-74 that an Air Force Special Security dude had) and the AR.  It is the flashiest, blastiest, most objectionable comp I've ever had the dubious pleasure to shoot.  The AK at night was like touching off a flashbulb on each shot.

High on the cool list (I guess) but if what you want is getting fast shooting done in a match try something else.

• 1 year later...

BTT.

Does anybody have a range report on the Miculek comp?

My rifle is still uncomped - something that's going to change very soon...(in 30 odd days I will experience the joy that is the unencumbered threaded muzzle.)

How would the rifle masters here rank the following comps:

Miculek

Cooley

Benny Hill

Shawn Carlock (His comp seemed absolutely rock steady when I shot it.)

Others...?

I'm only interested in Limited/Tactical legal comps, so no need to include the Tank brake.

The Benny Hill comp is the best I have used, no up or down or side to side, cross hairs never leave a plate, recoil is directly back and greatly reduced on a 7 1/2 lb 20 in. He has them in stock. Limited legal. Triangle Shooting Sports 361-241-1091 Larry

I'm no rifle master, but I was third overall at the TX 3-Gun and 4th at the NM three gun (and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :lol: ).

We (three local goons with a full machine shop) have built 20", 18", and 16" ARs using a variety of barrels, custom barrel contours, handguards, and comps. In play, as it were, right now we have:

1ea 18" AR10 with a JP Tank Brake. Jumps a little up and to the right, but less than it did before we hacked 3 ounces off the bolt carrier. Suspect the brake needs more gas pressure than the 146gr loads give it; working on some lighter/faster bullet loadings. Mentioned for reference only as a work in progress.

In order of effectiveness:

2ea 18" AR15 .750 with JP Tank Brakes. The top of the heap. The only thing they don't do right is shoot quietly.

1ea 18" AR15 Cooley Comp. About 95% or so as effective as the big Tank jobbie, but much more...low profile. About the same at 100, but you do notice the jump at 200 or more.

1ea 18" AR15 with Triangle Shooting Sports comp. About 90% or a bit more of the big Tank, and with a little more movement at 100. Heavier than the Cooley, which the current user finds annoying (the rifle has a .750 fluted barrel, and the comp puts the weight forward more than the Cooley does on his other rifle).

1ea 16" M4 with Miculek comp. 80%, at best, of the Tank. Much better than the flash hider that was on it, but still not really all that good. While I would recommend any of the brakes so far, the only thing this one has going for it is price. Had a Triangle Shooting brake on this one, but took it off as (although it worked better) the rifle wouldn't fit in the case with the long brake on it (sigh).

1ea 20" AR15 with the AK74 brake. Bleah. Still better than the A2 brake, but adds the fun of a huge fireball and annoying noise to very little gain.

1ea 20" AR15 with nothing. Target crown. Used as the control in our muzzle rise experiments. Geez, how do folks shoot with crap like this? Stupid politically correct Colt NM junk...

:)

My next experiment will be a pencil barreled 14.5" gun with a welded Triangle brake to make the 16/16.5" length. Just enough barrel to get the comp out of the handguard. Liota wants a short/fast/light rifle, and I have a new Triangle comp. The little extra weight (of the Triangle) should feel OK on a shorty ;)

Alex

1ea 20" AR15 with nothing. Target crown. Used as the control in our muzzle rise experiments. Geez, how do folks shoot with crap like this? Stupid politically correct Colt NM junk...

:)

I can't. Between the 8 lb trigger, the constant POI shifting, and the crosshairs doing the hokey pokey at 300...oh well....

Welcome to my world. :(

Wakal, good information. I have a Miculek on my 20" light contour and for the most part pleased with its performance. What did your testing consist of and how did you arrive at your percentages.

I've got a KKM A2 TakBrake ready to put on my li'l superlight Bushmaster, Mary Alice. I'm going to wait until the magic day in September, so I won't have to have it pinned and welded over to make it permanent.

Has anyone tried a KKM A2 TakBrake? The reason I got it was that Kurt was was only one who would tell me up front that his brake/comp would work on my superlight barrel.

I realize now that just about any comp for a pre-ban threaded barrel would have worked for this little carbine. Maybe I'll try the Cooley Comp too, since it'll just be a matter of screw-off, screw-on in a few short weeks.

did anybody try to shoot the vortex flash hider orcomp? It looks cool and is widely available.

does it work? im planning to put it in the m16 im building, oh its legal to have full auto firearms in the Philippines

Unfortunately, I didn't do an A/B comparison with the JP BC comp. That day I was shooting a braked 50BMG, my JP BC comped AR10, a 20" with the MSTN/PRI comp, and an 18" with a Vortex F/H.

It was about the same volume as the 18" w/ Vortex. I always double-up on earpro so it's hard to tell.

-z

JP BC brake and J Miculek brake are on par IMO, I have both and they do quite well in controlling muzzle movement for fast follow up shot. The BM AK and Y Comp are nasty and no where in the same league as JP and JM brakes, again, from my perspective, and I particularly don't like the Y brake when RO'ing because the sound is directed backward.

So which comp would be best for a gun that might also serve double purpose as a defensive weapon in addition to a game gun and a range plinker?

In my case, the purpose for my rifles is gaming/competition so they all are equiped with JP or JM brakes. If I need to use one in a defensive mode, then so be it with the loud noise, more importantly, the rifle will need to "work as intended".

Bronco,

Four shooters, the same 55 grain wally-world bulk-pack ammo, and targets at 100 and 200 yards. The percentages were individually derived by each shooter and averaged (they were pretty close), and should not be confused with anything more than a subjective number. The main factor was sight movement at distance, although the non-shooting-folks also bitched about noise :lol

Rhino,

My M4 (LEO M4forgery with the 16" tube) is my "serious" gun (since it is almost identical to my "issued" gun), and I put one of Jerry's comps on it...doesn't look too much different to the uninformed and still fits in the small carry case ;)

Alex

Rhino careful about mixing. I would have either one (game gun) or the other (duty gun). For a serious duty-street-Dawn-of-the-Dead gun, I would have a flash hider and not a comp (assuming it's pre-ban or post AWB sunset). You can do just fine in a match w/o a comp. But I've seen some duty guns that had comps. They were Smith Enterprises. If your gun is primarily for competition don't worry about it, shoot your favorite comp. Just check for muzzle flash at night. You can do alot just be testing ammo at night. Some are very low flash even in a comp.

The rifle in question is my car gun. It's just too darn light to go without a comp of some kind, although I see the utility of a flash hider. The thing (a Bushmaster Superlight) weighs less than six pounds (unloaded), even with the red dot on it! It's unlikely that it will ever be used in a match, but you never know. I'm going to give the KKM A2 TakBrake a try and if it's adequate, my work is done!

My game gun is a 16 inch Colt HBAR with a Smith Ent. comp ... still needs to get freefloated, but for now it's okay.

Rhino, I just put together a 16" BM superlight barrel on my preban A2 w/ a 4 pos. collapsible stock, and a BM slip over 5" FS (yeah, just for muzzle weight :D ) It tipped the scale at about 6 pounds. Shot it a bunch this past weekend and althought I could tell it was snappier than my comp'd gun, its muzzle didn't rise as much as I thought it would, heck, it was actually lots of fun to shoot!