Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you still feel as desperate for powder as you did a month ago?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the worst of the drought I had about 20 pounds of powder in reserve. While I wanted a little more diversity in the stable, I was able to keep going. After a few recent acquisitions and picking up a couple pounds here and there when available, I have padded the reserves by a happy margin.

When the next ripple in the fragile supply chain occurs I will be ready.

At least you guys in the CONUS can have powder shipped via ground to your houses from whatever online place has in stock. We gotta order bulk or buy from local stores which don't have hardly anything. Our local gunshops have been getting sporadic shipments of powder lately, but very little. Due to them only being able to fill half or less than the 100lb max weight for surface freight, we get nailed on shipping. Just paid $38 a lb for Titegroup. Yes, Titegroup. And the store owner got raped on the shipping as his wholesaler shipped them only 48 lbs so he wasn't price gouging. Only bought the Titegroup out of desperation. Going to blast it in my 10mm guns and as a backup till I can get some more N320, Clays or Solo 1000. We pay a flat rate for shipping of up to 100lbs of powder, whether its 2 lbs or 100lbs we pay the same $350-$400 fee. So we get it in the poop chute.

At least you guys in the CONUS can have powder shipped via ground to your houses from whatever online place has in stock. We gotta order bulk or buy from local stores which don't have hardly anything. Our local gunshops have been getting sporadic shipments of powder lately, but very little. Due to them only being able to fill half or less than the 100lb max weight for surface freight, we get nailed on shipping. Just paid $38 a lb for Titegroup. Yes, Titegroup. And the store owner got raped on the shipping as his wholesaler shipped them only 48 lbs so he wasn't price gouging. Only bought the Titegroup out of desperation. Going to blast it in my 10mm guns and as a backup till I can get some more N320, Clays or Solo 1000. We pay a flat rate for shipping of up to 100lbs of powder, whether its 2 lbs or 100lbs we pay the same $350-$400 fee. So we get it in the poop chute.

Cooper's bones! And here's me complaining I can't find it for $18/# like I could 3 years ago. :(

Powder is still very unavailable. You must be in the right place, at the right time, and have to constantly be looking all the time. Yes, I see some movement, but in reality, unless you had a stash already you will be hurting. Many members at the local club are saying the same thing. Today, I will go by the one of the local places as he indicated a small shipment in of 700X in four pound containers. I can't be to choosy at this time, so if it is available, I will get it.

Unfortunately, not over yet. I will consider the shortages over when I can obtain the specific powder(s) wanted...when I need them. I don't like making do with second or third options, but it has been necessary to keep shooting. Supplies have been a little better this summer, but you had better be quick when you see what you need. Many of the faster shotgun/pistol powders still require a hunt and some luck to obtain.

I was a die hard 231 user, easily over 100 lbs loaded. I'm down to my last unopened 8# jug and can't find any more. I picked up 8# of Autocomp just so I'd be able to load. I found some Promo, bought 16# and sold the Autocomp. I just bought 12# of VV N340 to use in place of 231 due to it's smoke, even with coated bullets.

Now I'm selling the Promo. I've been lucky or diligent in my search, however one would like to express it.

I like to use just one powder for all my pistol needs. Right now, that one powder is N340...as soon as it gets here.

I'll probably hold onto that last jug of 231, just in case.

Now, what sucks is I will have to come up with 4 different loads for the N340. It will give me something to do this winter besides drink and shovel snow.

Go to your normal site where you buy powder right this very second .... I'll wait ........................................., ok, where you able to buy your favorite powder?

I doubt it

Powder shortage is definitely not over ........ (unless an 8 lb keg normally lasts you 2 years ...)

• 2 weeks later...

Except for some AA#2 I found on a shelf in a farm store in January, I have not seen any pistol powders in 2 years. I have not even seen shotgun powder in at least 6 months. I can't even find my 5th choice, let alone my first.

Some rifle powders have come back in (not just 50BMG either). It is not even close to over yet.

• 2 weeks later...