Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you still feel as desperate for powder as you did a month ago?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to grafs finally filling a back order, and Precision Reloading having some stock, I now have 5# titegroup and 5# HS-6. I officially don't feel desperate for powder anymore! That's nearly 2 years of powder for me.

I just got 8# of green dot last week. I almost bought the 8# of tight group they had as well. IMHO it appears its starting to come back.

quote name="aandabooks" post="2275983" timestamp="1415503951"]

I haven't seen a single pound of pistol powder in the past couple months. I'll be buying whatever I find for reasonable prices at the first opportunity. I'm not desperate but I'm not comfortable either.

I came home tonight and a local forum member had left a pound of Silhouette on my doorstep :)

That rounds out my collection of Open powders pretty nicely:

Silhouette

CFE Pistol

Autocomp

HS-6

3N38

SP2

Long Shot

N105

'Lil Gun

SP3

Now if I could just get my hands on some AA5/7/9 or True Blue...

Seems like the powder situation is getting better...but 22's are harder to come by. We were at one of the large gun shops that is also an FFL distributor last weekenf and they had limits on the bricks of 22's. It was the one place that you used to be able to get all the 22 you want.

I'm not worried about powder supply anymore, at least not for now. Every time I go to my local sporting goods stores the powder supply seems to have grown. Not to the point of them having everything in stock but certainly better than even 6 months ago. If I keep my eyes open I seem to find more powder than I need. Although, it is harder to pass it up when I see something I need. I was able to score 8 lbs of VV N320 this last spring and it has lasted me all summer and hopefully into next spring. Luckily I have a great local shop that supports local shooters and when they get a shipment of powder in the shooting community gets first crack at it.

My biggest concern is the price has gone up due to limited supply and I'm wondering if the retailers will keep it elevated (even once supply picks up to "normal" levels) knowing what the consumer is willing to pay. I certainly pay more per lb now that I ever have.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from Cabelas in Glendale, Az and they had a shelf full of Hodgdon Longshot which is a slow burning pistol powder suitable for 9mm and 40 high velocity loadings. A little pricey at $25.00 a pound.

I'v been able to get Titegroup every so often in the 1# containers.

Did go back and develop a load for the 45 with it instead of HP38 or 231. I don't think I'll see any of that again in my lifetime.

May be just a regional thing, so Titegroup for 45 and 9mm from now on. No use taking up space with something else that may not come back around.

I must be less desperate because I left both H335 and XBR8208 sitting on the shelf for others in need. In fairness I have not been shooting as much rifle and my current inventory on those two powders exceeds 40 pounds.

Edited by ToddKS