Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you still feel as desperate for powder as you did a month ago?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do guys answer the OP question with gloating about how much powder they have?

Gloating? OK. Sure, whatever. If someone doesn't want to hear an answer they may get, then they shouldn't ask the question.

Oh yeah, and I was wrong, I now have 18 pounds of N320. So no, i'm not feeling as desperate as I was a month ago for powder.

I've been buying powder a pound at a time. My customers have been very helpful in finding me powder when they're out looking for themselves. Last week I found an 8 pound jug of bullseye at the local Sportsman's Warehouse, so I guess I'm OK for the next 10 thousand rounds or so. I've made it a point to not but the powder I don't use. Everyone buying whatever they can find is the root of this problem.

I don't reload in mass, but I did pick up an 8 pound jug of H335 yesterday for a decent price. That along with my mostly empty jars of powder for reloading .223 will last me all season and then some.

ETA: I was searching for Varget or CFE223, I only saw 2 of the H335 8lb jugs left for reloading .223 so I purchased half the store's stash.

Edited by GreenDragon64

I find it unreal that shooters take all the powder they can get to sell to other shooters. Why not just buy what YOU need and leave powder for other shooters?

I'll give you two answers as to why I have done it:

1) I only needed 4 pound of to titegroup. Came across some online and bought 8 pounds. Will sell pounds to shooting buddies. Why? Hazmat fee and shopping is the same for 4 as it is 8. I bought 8 and by selling 4 it helps defray the cost of shipping.

2) prior to ga state match, I saw 2 pounds of 3n38 at the local shop for about 2 months with no one buying it. Apparently there aren't any open shooters in my home town. Got on here and had someone from 4 hours away ask me to get them for him. I did, bought them, met him at the match and didn't hack the price up at all. Helped a shooter out getting him powder he needed and helped my lgs out by getting stagnant product of of their shelf

I find it unreal that shooters take all the powder they can get to sell to other shooters. Why not just buy what YOU need and leave powder for other shooters?

Personally I look at it like a group buy: I know lots of local guys want what I see in front of me, so I buy a lot to defray the costs of shipping and hazmat then distribute to my friends at my cost. In doing so I take all the risk that prices will go down or that I've overestimated the demand; that risk entitles me to make a profit, but rather than reap a few extra dollars I prefer the less tangible goodwill among the local shooting community :cheers:

Personally I look at it like a group buy: I know lots of local guys want what I see in front of me, so I buy a lot to defray the costs of shipping and hazmat then distribute to my friends at my cost. In doing so I take all the risk that prices will go down or that I've overestimated the demand; that risk entitles me to make a profit, but rather than reap a few extra dollars I prefer the less tangible goodwill among the local shooting community :cheers:

Right now this is the only way to keep powder out of the hands of the hoarders and in the hands of the shooters.

I don't make profit off of anything, I always sell ftf when people need it if I have it. I don't feel bad about hording, nor do I care about somebody else's stack. I find it kinda funny that people try to blame competitive shooters for this trash. Write your congressman.

I normally by from Wideners Reloading which is about 20 minutes from my house. They have great prices on powder and primers and I don't have to pay hazmat because I go and pick them up. They have been out of powder forever, so I ordered with my buddy, a total of 16 lbs of WSF from Brownells. It was ordered on Feb.2, 2014 and still haven't got it in. I am not talking bad about Brownells, as I love them and shop with them for a lot of items. The powder problem is everywhere apparently, or lack thereof.

Normally, Brownells isn't my first choice for reloading components, as I normally stick to the ones that "specialize" in that part of the market. But desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Edited by Ewilson224

It's "hoarding" if you're sitting on the powder with no immediate use for it. Competitive shooters aren't hoarders, they are consumers!

-ivan-

p.s. to me "immediate use" means in the next 12 months.

Edited by ivan

I found myself doing the same thing. My job has me driving all over the Midwest. I know what powders are needed amongst the folks I shoot with and will buy and sell at my cost. I do the same thing for online orders too. Fellow shooters seem to always take care of each other. I have been helped plenty of times when my supplies came up short.

It's "hoarding" if you're sitting on the powder with no immediate use for it. Competitive shooters aren't hoarders, they are consumers!

-ivan-

p.s. to me "immediate use" means in the next 12 months.

I also don't think it is hoarding of you accumulated it while it was abundant...

• 2 weeks later...