Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you still feel as desperate for powder as you did a month ago?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment I can reliably buy WST online at any time is when I'll consider it over. :D The same goes for federal #100 primers online (though I can usually find them locally). Bullets seem to be the only thing regularly in stock online at this time.

Edited by Roons

I wouldn't call it over either. My favorite powder is e3 and I can't find it anywhere. I try to monitor gunbot and have signed up for in-stock notifications everywhere I can. I've started loading with anything I can get my hands on to conserve what e3 I have left for major matches.

I couldn't find any powder and then my local shop had 15+ lbs of Autocomp come in at once. I thibk it's going to happen in batches like that, a bunch of one powder in a shipment not a bunch of different ones in small amounts

it seems to be getting much better. During all of my travels, I was able to keep a stock for myself over this past year, while stopping at many places I knew.

2 weeks ago, I was able to procure ~20 lbs of HP-38/231, at LGS, for all my shooting buddies who have been nearly running on empty.

No such luck for those of us in the middle of the Pacific.

To make it affordable we need to place a bulk order but the place tha is willing to ship to us does not have the weight we need (100 lbs).

We could try the lgs but their prices are double what most of you guys can get it for on the mainland. Cost of living in paradise???

Might have to take up golf :(

i peruse the local boards and the net a lot. i have noticed that in the month of August, powder has seemed to be coming back in stock at many places. local guys are selling it at a reasonable price. even many pistol powders.

So can the powder drought be called over ?

Powder is one of the components of ammunition (duhhh) and as long as the world has the level of constant warfare it presently has, the raw materials for ammo will continue to be under pressure. may be some fluctuations, but the "ammo shortage" isn't leaving anytime soon.

I'll believe the ammo shortage is fading when and if I ever see discount brands of ammo like sellier + bellott or WWB or any of the rest I used to live on back in stock at internet discount suppliers.

I'm lucky to have enough components to see me through MOST of the year for MOST of the calibers I reload for. It seems that some powders are available, but you have to - kind of - take what you can get, so the crisis is not over. I miss the days of being able to just order EXACTLY what I want.

I'm lucky to have enough components to see me through MOST of the year for MOST of the calibers I reload for. It seems that some powders are available, but you have to - kind of - take what you can get, so the crisis is not over. I miss the days of being able to just order EXACTLY what I want.

Agree^, especially the last part. But what keeps me shooting is I'm sitting on a modest stock of powder and periodically a LGS gets in a bulk order that keeps me from getting too low. That said, I've had to experimented with some alternates in the event my primary go-to powder gets low or runs out. Gotta do whatcha gotta do...

Yes, although as a side benefit, I have tried a bunch of other powders that I now know suck a$s compared to Clays in the .45 ACP, Last night I poured the Last pound of Clays into the powder measure, the can was already open so it just barely filled it, this is going to be used up at the Northeast Sectional, this weekend and Area 7 Next weekend. Sad.

On a certain Video Podcast, they had an interview with Chris Hodgdon, and said that 700x was almost identical to Clays, well that may be true in a 12ga but in a pistol, it is not even a good substitute, I am down to 1/4 pound from 2 pounds that I was able to find at the LGS. Dirty, smokey, flashy, snappy, un burnt powder everywhere, I have tried lighter and heavier charges, coated and uncoated bullets. more/less crimp, Longer/shorter OAL. I have some PB, Tight Wad, and 7625 to try next. I bought the 7625 for a planned open gun.

Edited by Jamiethesquid

I don't feel desparate but for the powders I use, I will continue to buy every pound that I can get someone to sell me at a reasonable price. This has been my philosophy for that last 2 years. I don't intend to change any time soon.

These disruptions in supply are clearly going to continue. I intend to do everything possible to ensure that when these disruptions occur they do not impact my ability to shoot. The only one that I have not avoided so far is the 22LR and that was only because I ran out of cash before I could get stocked up.