Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what point do you release the safety?

Sandbagger123

i just got my first 1911 style gun, a 2011 STI. This will be used for USPSA limited. i have be practicing on taking the safety off, as its new to me after shooting all Glocks and MP's. Playing with my draw, need to figure out when to take the safety off.

I have ask a few people and i get mixed answered. the majority say that they take it off when they are pressing out, but i had a few tell me they take it off as soon as it leaves the holster. they say its not an issue as their trigger finger does not go into the trigger guard till the gun it horizontal.

So what do you think of the 2 answers? which would be the correct one to practice?

Thanks

I also make sure my thumb goes back over the safety during a reload. That way, I know I'm not going to bump the mag release with it, and I also start to re-establish my grip before I drive the gun back out.

Answers depends on how you were taught the 1911. I went thru the Gunsite method of a 5 step presentation.

Step 1. is grip the gun

Step 2: lift gun to retention position, gun is at chest level pointing to target-at which point safety is disengaged.

For me, the safety comes off as I'm establishing my grip, which means it's pretty much off right after it clears the holster.

This^^ Its how i was taught and it is what works for me.

Ultimately it will come down to what works for YOU and what feels the best.

I think the biggest thing to practice is where your off/reaction/support hand is when you take off the safety. As a former plastic pistol guy, you probably have a good feel for this already, since the safety is essentially off when you grab the gun anyway.

I push the safety off when the pistol is in front of me while driving it out, it is also about the time my weak hand acquires the gun. When I first started shooting competition, I pushed the safety off as I cleared the holster, I never had an issue, but felt like waiting until the gun was downrange was probably safer. Bottom line is as long as your finger is off of the trigger, the gun shouldn't go off.

Hurley

As soon as I get my grip with both hands which is very soon after it clears the holster. There is no pressing out, come right up to target. You don't need 5 or 6 steps to draw, either.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the five-step draw, either. If you think about it, the five-step draw turns into the natural index IF it's practiced enough. But I see a lot of guys go thru each of the five steps and it just wastes time--either in competition or in real life.

+another for "once it's in a safe direction" as well as for learning to ride the thumb safety on the 1911/2011 platform.

Coming from the striker-fired camp for carry and competition, this is a question I and many others have had and I expect more folks to ask the same question as they gravitate toward dedicated race guns.

I've found the 5/6-step method good for training new shooters to NOT shortcut safety for the sake of speed. Given the potential hazards during the draw, I'm a big of advocate of getting it right before you do it fast. I encourage those who argue to Google "Tex Grebner" :-)

Like everything else in our sport, once you get the basics down safely without worrying about the clock, look into consolidating the draw steps. It's my humble opinion that an extra 1 second on the draw (in a match) isn't going to overcome the other areas a new shooter will save time safely.

I flip off the safety as I begin the press out toward the target.

Just can't see any advantage to flipping off the safety as it leaves the holster - with the gun pointed in the general direction of my leg/foot. But I can easily envision something really bad happening if you happen to hit the trigger a little too quickly with that method.

I flip off the safety as I begin the press out toward the target.

Just can't see any advantage to flipping off the safety as it leaves the holster - with the gun pointed in the general direction of my leg/foot. But I can easily envision something really bad happening if you happen to hit the trigger a little too quickly with that method.

+1

And for what it's worth a 5 step draw becomes a 3 step draw that then becomes one fluid motion...... But the elements are still there if looked at in Slo-mo. Do not compromise safety chasing an elusive .1 of a second. You can do a 5 step draw under a second with repetition and practice. Anything under 1.2 is pretty good in a match unless you are doing Steel Challenge.

Since the hammer is back, and my 2011 is a hairtrigger compared my Glock, I keep the safety on until the gun is pointed in a safe direction. I too was very conscientious of this new platform going from a plastic gun, and I saw way too many videos of people trying to quick draw with a 2011 and shooting themselves in the leg. So I error on the side of of caution in this regard. I can make up that millisecond with footwork.

As soon as I get my grip with both hands which is very soon after it clears the holster. There is no pressing out, come right up to target. You don't need 5 or 6 steps to draw, either.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the five-step draw, either. If you think about it, the five-step draw turns into the natural index IF it's practiced enough. But I see a lot of guys go thru each of the five steps and it just wastes time--either in competition or in real life.