Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What length barrel is your 3gun rifle?

amac

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22" Barnett medium weight profile

You and Pat are shooting Barnett barrels? Mine is a SAK 67, also 22".

The ones I used to shoot were whatever Springfield put on them. Std weight for some, Medium weight. and heavy for fun at the RM3G Maker???

Pat, I built mine from a GI parts kit, and a Springfield receiver. John Miller from the Ohio National Guard taught me how to accurize them. SAK barrels were made in Saco, Maine by Maremont.

I don't know who made the barrels for Springfield, I think some of the match versions could have been Douglas, which is what Gene Barnett was using.

I use an 18" JP upper but I'm planning on building a 16" JP upper so I have the choice for matches where the long range is not that long.

I think I would hose a lot faster with a 16". less weight means faster transitions and better handling in my mind. its not about having less weight to carry, its about speed.

• 2 weeks later...

14.5, super light. You guys must be much stronger than me to manhandle a heavy rifle all day.

Well for starters your only shooting the rifle for maybe 10 minutes total at a big match spread out over 2 to 3 days and an 18 inch medium or light weight contour barrel is not that heavy.

Pat

I'm not concerned about when you're actually shooting, although 18" may be a little unnecessary for small local club matches. What I run into is that when walking around with it on a sling, my back can tell a huge difference with only a little extra weight. We have a large family farm and carrying different rifles will show a big difference in my back pain. I guess that's what range carts and golf carts are for though.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters