Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI EDGE, is this what $2200 pays for?

Finbox

They should not have "removed a lot of metal from the chamber." They should have given you a new barrel with a properly cut chamber.

This thread is starting to piss me off.

STI is not equivalent to a Mazda 6. STI is equivalent to an Audi. SVI is equivalent to a Bentley. Why is STI ok with this man having a $2200 lemon? Everyone who looks at the first pic of the barrel knows it's screwed up. You don't loosen the chamber further to fix it.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys sorry for the late reply.

STI sent the gun back and I talked to them on the phone, they said they " removed alot of metal from the chamber" and tightened the slide, all of the machining marks are still there. The trigger seems lighter as well.

After around 500 rounds there is play in the barrel to slide fit.

Gun shoots terrible with my 147gr load thats one ragged hole with my glock 35 with 9mm barrel. It shoots 2 1/2" 10 rpund groups with stock Federal 115g

I have never had to develop a load for a pistol before, I will try to get a tight shooting load when I have time.

I will run it for one year to see if I improve...if not it will be up for sale.

It was a lot of money and if I had to do it agian I would not.

Great mews, now we can just sit back for twelve months and see how this all goes. Best of luck to you.

I have been shooting Glocks since 2001, I have 10k+ on many of them and they shoot well. I'm giving it a year to see if I can master the 1911 style pistol.

The trigger is much better than my Glocks, and so far I have not had any jams of any kind. Many shooters told me to get "tuned" mags for the 9mm becouse they run like crap. But my 3 140mm mags have been 100%

As for the 1911 accuracy clam this pistol is not that great, but as with all things new i will give it some time/load development to see if I can get it to where it needs to be....but the hard part is, I keep asking myself why am I doing all of this.

I've never been a "glock guy" but lately they've been growing on me. If that's what works for you and if that's what you like, then you might be just as well of to stick with it. Of course, it is always fun to try out different things to. Like you said, give yourself some time to see how you get along.

Thanks for updating all of us.

STI is not equivalent to a Mazda 6. STI is equivalent to an Audi. SVI is equivalent to a Bentley. Why is STI ok with this man having a $2200 lemon? Everyone who looks at the first pic of the barrel knows it's screwed up. You don't loosen the chamber further to fix it.

I was not saying that an STi is the equivalent to a Mazda 6. I was simply saying that STI pistols are as different from SVI pistols as Mazdas are from Mercedes.

My mistake, it doesn't really matter, I was just ranting. It's the principle. Don't get me wrong, I like Mazda 6's, especially the new redesign.

Edited by Whoops!

You sir are one patient man, I would at least contact STI again and see what they have to say. If you contact them now you will have a better chance of getting fixed than in a year.
At what range did you shoot the 2 1/2 " groups? It should do better than that at 25 yards with factory ammunition.

If you are not confident about your skill with a 1911/2011 let someone else try or shoot from a rest to see if the group tightens up.

Id be aggravated too spending that kind of money for something that looks like a high school metal shop had built. Although I don't look for perfection in cosmetics when it comes to a competition pistol, I would expect a certain level of quality that will make me confident in the gun.Mercedes Benz isn't known for lemons but they are known for quality and good cust svc. I would think STI is the same. I'd shoot the hell out of it and if you can't bond with it quickly dump it and get something else. Guys keep saying this isn't tactical it's a game and you need every edge possible. Shooting a match w a pistol your aggravated with probably won't help as you're looking for something to fail. Sounds like the STI guys wanna make it right by embracing solutions not excuses. Use it to your advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I bought a brand new STI Matchmaster 9mm major open gun two years ago that ran fine for a month. Then it wouldn't go into battery on every other round and I would have to thumb it into battery to get it to fire. Finally got so frustrated that I sent it to Dan Bedell, who within 3 minutes of getting it out of the box named 3 or 4 things wrong with it including the wrong barrel linkage. STI told me at Double Tap right after that to send it back and they would "get it back to factory specs" to which I responded "wasn't it factory spec's when I bought it from you". Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired now that they outsourced a lot of the manufacturing to the Philippines (I think that is what they said).

I have an Edge too but it seems to run fine, other than the fact that the rear dovetail was cut into the slide at an angle so the sight sits an a noticeable angle too. It has some rattle to the slide too.

I am buying an SV and selling my Edge.

• 5 months later...

If you ever have any issue with STI , just give them a call . They do stand behind their product. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience , but I'm sure STI will make it right.

They sent me back my 9mm Spartan with such a huge gap forward and above the extractor that my gun is no longer safe to fire. I used to think that STI was a decent company that stood behind their products, but now that I learned that they don't, I will only be buying Springfield Armory or custom products from now on. If a company won't stand behind their products, they're worthless to me.

• 1 year later...

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

I'm with you kneelingatlas. I just had a friend buy an STI Edge at the beginning of November and it doesn't run worth a crap. He had the ejection tuned by a local guy who knows 2011's and bought $400 in mags that supposedly don't require "tuning". Ran better, but not 100%. So he called STI and they (according to my friend) casually asked if it was a .40, and when he confirmed it was, they told him "Oh yeah, we'll need to do some more CNC work to it. Just follow the warranty stuff online and send it in, should have it back to you in a couple months." My buddy is understandably furious. This just re-affirms everything I've heard and witnessed about STI's. For $2200 or more, a gun better run like a sewing machine out of the box in my opinion. I've heard that even buying a Trubor open gun requires a lot of fussing to get to run correctly. How is this possibly acceptable to comsumers?! Nevermind the quality control issues seen in this thread! I just don't get it.

When I was shopping for a new limited gun last April, I was able to try a CZ Tactical Sport. It blew my mind, and in comparison to the STI's I had shot (that ran fine, after much tinkering) I still liked the CZ. For $1300 retail you get a comparably good gun to a 2011 except for one major fundamental difference.... it runs as reliably as any "duty" pistol without any tuning (nevermind the better value, 3 mags, etc). I'm over 8k rounds through mine and the only issues I ever had were due to tyring to use a frame buffer for a short time (learned my lesson there) and when the lighter-than-stock 13lb main spring I installed when I first got the gun (it didn't need it, not sure why I thought it was a good idea at the time when the gun has a sub 2lb trigger stock) started to wear out around 7k rounds and I had a couple light strikes. Replaced with a new main spring and back to 100% reliability. With performance like that, I simply don't get why more people don't try Tanfo's or CZ's. From what I understand the CZ 75 platform is to Europe as the 1911 style is to the Americas. Well, I'm not opposed to going with a "euro style" gun when it seems to work so much better.

I bought an Eagle 2 years ago because it was a "deal" at $1720 shipped. A Tri-topped slide, 6" 9MM. I took it apart to clean it before I ever shot it. The slide stop pin was egg shapped and .003 to .007" undersized. After a conversation with STI they said they would send me a new slide stop. I explained that if install a real .200" diameter slide stop the slide would no longer go into battery. (Barrel lugs would need to be re-cut.) I sent it back. It came back with an invoice that said,"Installed a new Wilson slide stop. No Charge." That slide stop was also undersized and it too was not round.

My gunsmith fixed it. But he couldn't fix the crappy slide to frame fit.

The chamber throat was cut so deep I can load a 147gr Xtreme bullet out to 1.3" before it would touch the lands.

It wasn't that good a "deal" after all.

I was on the verge of buying a new Edge TODAY.......

This is really disappointing ... I'm going to reconsider..

Just get it from Dawson or Brazos and talk to them your questions and concerns. Plus if you get it from Brazos they will sell you tuned mags for lots less than just ordering on the web.. Only need two tuned mags start with 22 and reload to a regular untuned mag. Good luck..

This is so weird. I bought a brand new Edge and brought it to my local gunsmith for a trigger job. I replaced the recoil master with a one piece guide rod and a 12b spring. It worked flawlessly.

I got STI 140mm tubes, TTI base pads, and grams followers with 11 coil springs. Again, perfect.

In a nutshell, I've had trouble free Edge and STI mags (no tuning).

I have only ever bought used sti. I guess my models predate all this shitty quality control nonsense. At some point I'll either have one made or switch to tango, but lets be honest being part of the 2011 boys club is fun in its own regard lol

Everybody knows that STIs don't run out of the box or with stock mags so off they go to the local "smith" where they're fixed until they don't run.

It's a small sample but my 2 STIs have been flawless and run fine with stock or tuned mags. Wonder if it has anything to do with running loads appropriate for the gun and not "fixing" them.

I was on the verge of buying a new Edge TODAY.......

This is really disappointing ... I'm going to reconsider..

Just remember most of what's described here is over 2 years old, and until the thread got necro'd back up, the last post was about 18 months ago. You do have some bad experiences, but I think if you look around, you'll find an awful lot more recent feedback available.

I'm not saying that STI's are 100% perfect, they aren't, but they are a fairly popular manufacturer for a reason. I suspect when they share the gear survey from Limited Nationals, STI will show quite well again. I've seen people with issues, and I have my own questions about quality control, and when I got my own, I believe the dealer went thru a few in order to find the one with the tightest fit for me. That said, if they run, they just run, I had absolutely zero issues with mine, and would not hesitate to buy another if I was in the market again.

I shot CZ in Production, and loved it, and I think the Tac-Sport is a nice gun, but I don't think it's much of a blip on the radar (unfortunately) of many other shooters. Go to a match, have a problem with your 2011, and odds are someone there will have a part, or the knowledge to get you going, good luck with that same proposition on the CZ.

Edited by sundevil827

They should not have "removed a lot of metal from the chamber." They should have given you a new barrel with a properly cut chamber.

This thread is starting to piss me off.

I've had many STI's and even more Audi's, I can say without a doubt STI is not equal to Audi in quality. I can even say more confidently an STI from Brazos, Barsto, or Dawson is better than what you get from the STI factory with the exception of the new DVC as it is pretty good out of the box (I've had a few of each of these).

A better analogy is an STI is like a corvette Z06/7, it is a good value and performs well but it has some stupid things going on from a fit and finish perspective.

It sucks the op dropped a bit of cash and got a lemon and unfortunately this happens no matter what you buy. Hell I've seen folks have issues with new SVI's.

If STI is not taking care of you, take your cash and go some place else as there are some great options out there.

What about the old used gun you bought and had the slide crack or something happen to the barrel. What do we do call STI and most of the time they fix or replace the part,no cost..

I bought a well used open gun 40,50,000 rounds on it ,the slide cracked they sent me new one. Yes I had to have it fit but that gun was over 10 years old.

So all is not so bad,,

Merry Christmas!