Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI EDGE, is this what $2200 pays for?

Finbox

Everybody knows that STIs don't run out of the box or with stock mags so off they go to the local "smith" where they're fixed until they don't run.

It's a small sample but my 2 STIs have been flawless and run fine with stock or tuned mags. Wonder if it has anything to do with running loads appropriate for the gun and not "fixing" them.

You would have to be an idiot to pay almost 2K, or more, for a pistol while KNOWING that it isn't going to run. Mine would probably have run until it broke because it was locking up on the link and slide stop instead of the lugs. Inferior critical parts with improper dimensions would lead to early failure. A slid stop pin wallowing around in the frame with every shot isn't going to last long and "appropriate" ammo won't fix that.

As for the mags I haven't touched them and they worked even with the STI followers that I don't like.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about all the problems.

On my Edge, my slide broke at the extractor/firing pin stop area. Very strange and have never seen any other slide ever break there.

I had 38,000+ rounds through the gun at the time, and the gun had always shot well and been very reliable.

I sent to STI (April, 2016), followed up by email a month later and they mentioned that it would be covered by warranty, but they were very busy and would get to it. At the end of the process, they were not able to fit a new slide to my old frame, so they gave me a brand new gun (July 5th, 2016).

A new gun sounds like a good deal, and it was. What made it outstanding to me, was that they made the gun EXACTLY like the one I sent in. The only part they reused was my Red grip. They put a new Brazos Manny sight on the gun, EGW ignition parts, bought and fit a new Swenson Ambi Safety to the gun. It even had a pretty decent trigger job on it.

In my mind, they really "Made it right". Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, and perhaps I was just lucky. Or, perhaps they have heard the complaints and are making customer satisfaction a higher priority.

I hope others start to experience the same level of customer service.

• 4 weeks later...
I have been wanting and saving for this pistol for a long time.

I have a Sig 1911 tacops that cost $950 and a bunch of Glocks and the fit and finish look 100 times better than this "hand fitted" pistol.

The Sig and Glocks look like they where made with the best CNC machines on earth and this STI looks like... it was made by a drunk guy by hand.

The gun has not been shot.

frame rattles on the slide

nicks in the slide

very rough chamber (you can feel the rings with a WOOD TOOTHPICK!)

ring groves in the slide and one on the frame end.

Its hard to take pictures of, but all the groves you can feel with your fingernail

Click on First picture it is a video, turn the sound up.

th_IMG_0197_zps2db3d139.jpg

017_zps16a94626.jpg

019_zps7ca7806b.jpg

024_zps46364d3e.jpg

032_zps2db05478.jpg

034_zps38641f16.jpg

[/url]

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/finbox/Crappy%20New%20STI%20EDGE/035_zpsf5f04c34.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/finbox/th_IMG_0197_zps2db3d139.jpg

I pay more than 6 K for this
IMG_2609.thumb.JPG.34cd746702e0395205c74

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This is really wild! When you are paying for a custom gun, quality control should be at its top, and that definitely does not seem to be the case with STI. Needless to say, I definitely will NOT be purchasing guns from them. 

7 hours ago, abb1 said:

This is really wild! When you are paying for a custom gun, quality control should be at its top, and that definitely does not seem to be the case with STI. Needless to say, I definitely will NOT be purchasing guns from them. 

STI are not custom guns.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2013 at 2:59 PM, kneelingatlas said:

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

Same thing happens to me. I spent the same amount on CZ 75 TS plus all the gear and was still less than an STI.

27 minutes ago, Bunsen said:

Same thing happens to me. I spent the same amount on CZ 75 TS plus all the gear and was still less than an STI.

This is exactly the point. 

You bought a stock gun, then put a bunch of money and time into it.  I know of many people that have almost as much into their CZ to be "Competitive" in Production as i have in my STI Edge.

Sarge nailed it, these are not Custom guns, just off the shelf.