Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI EDGE, is this what $2200 pays for?

Finbox

I have been wanting and saving for this pistol for a long time.

I have a Sig 1911 tacops that cost $950 and a bunch of Glocks and the fit and finish look 100 times better than this "hand fitted" pistol.

The Sig and Glocks look like they where made with the best CNC machines on earth and this STI looks like... it was made by a drunk guy by hand.

The gun has not been shot.

frame rattles on the slide

nicks in the slide

very rough chamber (you can feel the rings with a WOOD TOOTHPICK!)

ring groves in the slide and one on the frame end.

Its hard to take pictures of, but all the groves you can feel with your fingernail

Click on First picture it is a video, turn the sound up.

th_IMG_0197_zps2db3d139.jpg

017_zps16a94626.jpg

019_zps7ca7806b.jpg

024_zps46364d3e.jpg

032_zps2db05478.jpg

034_zps38641f16.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/finbox/Crappy%20New%20STI%20EDGE/035_zpsf5f04c34.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/finbox/th_IMG_0197_zps2db3d139.jpg

Edited by Finbox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Contact STI and send it back. My understanding is they have a good customer service program. I'd also let them know about what you've posted on any forums or such and that they should be embarrassed to have you shoot their gun in any matches if its that bad.

I think STI is going down hill. I bought an STI SS grip safety and went through hours of work trying to polish it to look half way presentable. I will never buy a factory STI pistol again. I bought a SteeleMaster and went through hell trying to make it work.

SR

I've had 4 STI edge's, and they have all been spectacular. Just send it back. I am not big on some of their internals, but the slide to frame fit is always smooth as butter.

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

How did you buy it? Direct, or through Dawson?

Just curious, and I agree with the others about returning it and getting them to fix it.

I have two STIs (Trojan and Sentry) and they were both pretty close to perfect out of the box. From your photos, it would be hard to believe that the Edge (a 2011) came out of the same shop as the Sentry (a 1911).

Chris

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

I have had the same conversation with people one asked me what kind of 1911 is that lol. But I did have to send back a Tanfoglio because it looked worse than this.

Which Tanfo was it? I just got a Hunter and when it came into the shop my FFL was blown away by how little I paid for it. The fit and finish was as good as a Les Baer he had behind the counter (although the trigger is horrible out of the box).

My Edge is ugly. The finish is Worn, its dirty, the slide/frame fit is getting a "little" sloppy, but it still shoots much better than I do after 5k rounds.

The barrel on yours is concerning though.

I agree on sending it back and let them know everyone on Enos is waiting for updates.

Good Luck!

I have a total of 3 STI's one is a custom build (9Major open gun), one from Shooters Connection (USPSA Single Stack), and one from Brazos (HP Edge) and all 3 are great. Maybe not the same fit & finish as my Bare's, Brown's, or Wilson's but didn't cost near as much either. As far as a competition gun they are the best bang for the buck. If you aren't satisfied contact them first and see what they will do to make it right.

I bought one from sti,a blue gun fit was as expected with a custom gun.It shoots great,have 3 or 4000 rounds thru it with no problems.Bought the second one used,it was a Dawson built gun,did not see any of the finish issues you have.Both of mine run great.

If you decide to shoot it, run 4-500 rounds through it before deciding if there are any malfunctions. For me, once I got past 500 rounds it runs like a raped ape.

My opinion in, but as long as my competition or carry gun goes bang, every single. Time without exception it is a POS and unacceptable to me. Looks at the range are secondary.

I kinda bought it for looks...my Glock 34 goes bang every time x8000 no failures....and has a nicer machined parts.

Just kind let down guys.

Like saving up and buying a new car with dents all over it and people telling me "it still drives don't it?"

I only own one STI built gun the rest are custom builds on STI frames. I purchased an STI USPSA 1911 from Shooters Connection. The fit and finish are excellent and the gun has run 100% since day one. I had an SV IMM 38 super comp Open gun that went back to SV 4 times. Things slip by on occasion.

I feel your pain... U spend couple thousand dollars u want quality and looks, granted its a match gun that I'm sure will get its fair share of nicks and dings, but I would want to put them in there not the factory lol

Sorry to hear about your luck. I would talk to sti. They helped me out when my recoil master broke in my ranger ii. i am very impressed and happy with my edge and ranger II, and sti's customer service.

Does your chambers look as bad as mine? I've had some that had a couple rings that I could feel with a super small dental pick...but not with a toothpick like this one.

I just never had a pistol with such glaring file marks. Is this what hand fitting looks like?

Keep in mind I'm not a 1911 guy. But this pistol and its magazines, looks kinda like a kit car in build quality.

Also the slide stop has what looks like a mold flashing on it? Are these MIM parts?

The outside looks great buy the way. Trigger is sweet. Im going to shoot it Thursday, and run the 3 140mm mags i got with it.

Thanks for all your help.

The rings in the chamber look like they are from a worn reamer or from not cleaning chips away when reaming. The marks in the slide look like machining marks as well. If the slide to frame fit is loose on a new unfired gun, you should really contact STI and send it back. It's nice to vent online but you should talk to STI, I'm sure they will want to make things right.