Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI EDGE, is this what $2200 pays for?

Finbox

I wonder which companies will end up on top, now that the patent has expired, I expect there will be some serious compettion.

That may be true but I wonder how many of the new up and coming companies will give as much back to the sport as STI does.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They all give.. STI is a large employee owned company, I'm sure the have more expendable moneys than most. But they all support us and our spots. STI does have the contengency program that is very nice.

Edited by a matt

I hadn't considered the part about giving back to the sport or who would be the biggest company in a few years. STI's quality control problems (mentioned above in detail) got me thinking about which company would be building the best mass production 2011 for the price in the next few years. It seems that STI has the inside track now even though the patent has expired, but I guess we will see how it plays out.

I read a book on how Japan took a large chunk of the US car market away from Detroit by concentrating on the best quality product they could build and accepting lower profits in the beginning until they had a good chunk of the market. Maybe if someone with deep pockets will get together with a good engineer and make it happen. Isn't that how the original SVI/STI company got started?

I read a book on how Japan took a large chunk of the US car market away from Detroit by concentrating on the best quality product they could build and accepting lower profits in the beginning until they had a good chunk of the market.

It worked so well for Japan partially because Detroit was arrogant & lazy, I'm not sure that describes STI.

I read a book on how Japan took a large chunk of the US car market away from Detroit by concentrating on the best quality product they could build and accepting lower profits in the beginning until they had a good chunk of the market.

It worked so well for Japan partially because Detroit was arrogant & lazy, I'm not sure that describes STI.

and because union labor costs 10X what japanese labor does...

STI won't lose the market to any of the niche builders any time soon. The STI aluminum grip is less than $300.00 everyone elses is more. The STI frames are right about the same price as any of the alternatives. You buy an Edge or Eagle or Trojan and have issues you send it back and they fix it. Your slide cracks after a couple years and the fix it, then they re-finish the gun and tune it up. You get an almost new gun out of the deal for FREE... These new start up type guys probably have not even thought about building up warranty reserves. STI has had a fe QC problems lately but they are standing behind everything they have ever sold. Having to deal with very picky customers will be fun for the start up guys... My gun rattles... did you shoot it? No, it rattles... Is it broken? No, it rattles... OK, send it back... we will pay the freight both ways and take a look at it...

This is what I get with my money when buying an STI. The original slide had 50,000 or so rounds and was cut down to 10.3 ounces, STI didn't even bat an eye when it developed a hairline crack.

51E8A60E-E8AA-4F28-989E-CAFA3C134C7B-550

It took 2 months but I got a brand new slide.

Now let me ask, what other company, making anything, still warrants their products after the customer cuts them all up?

STI is badass IMHO.

Edited by Chris iliff

STI won't lose the market to any of the niche builders any time soon. The STI aluminum grip is less than $300.00 everyone elses is more. The STI frames are right about the same price as any of the alternatives. You buy an Edge or Eagle or Trojan and have issues you send it back and they fix it. Your slide cracks after a couple years and the fix it, then they re-finish the gun and tune it up. You get an almost new gun out of the deal for FREE... These new start up type guys probably have not even thought about building up warranty reserves. STI has had a fe QC problems lately but they are standing behind everything they have ever sold. Having to deal with very picky customers will be fun for the start up guys... My gun rattles... did you shoot it? No, it rattles... Is it broken? No, it rattles... OK, send it back... we will pay the freight both ways and take a look at it...

Sorry for being so picky. I should just lower my expectations ... :wacko:

The chamber is what conserned THEM the most, and they ask me to send it back. I did not want to shoot it with that chamber.

So a rattly slide, mechining marks all over, groves in the chamber on a $2200 gun and I can't complain. When can I start bitching good Sir...$3500...$4500. please tell me.

Edited by Finbox

WHAT? I thought they had to send guns 2nd day ? If not where are you living South America. Really call them and get you a shipping # ASAP. Good luck and I hope all this works out for you.

So a rattly slide, mechining marks all over, groves in the chamber on a $2200 gun and I can't complain. When can I start bitching good Sir...$3500...$4500. please tell me.

I know it is a rhetorical question, but I think you hit the right ballpark. Somewhere in the 3-4k range you get the best of both form and function.

I know it is a rhetorical question, but I think you hit the right ballpark. Somewhere in the 3-4k range you get the best of both form and function.

If my $500 gun looked like that I would send it in........Not acceptable

Edited by 3djedi

Are you being serious? So you need to spend that much to get form and function I call B.S!

Are you being serious? So you need to spend that much to get form and function I call B.S!

I think "best of" was key in my post. If you look at the pictures on the original post there are marks that can be seen when the gun is dissasembled and the slide to frame fit is on the 'make er run' side instead of the make it showy side.

STI is basically a competition based company and silly customers like me don't care greatly about stuff you can't see or showy stuff, as long as the gun runs hard and well and the manufacturer keeps it that way.

If you can find everything that anybody might care about for 2k, great!

I think "best of" was key in my post. If you look at the pictures on the original post there are marks that can be seen when the gun is dissasembled and the slide to frame fit is on the 'make er run' side instead of the make it showy side.

STI is basically a competition based company and silly customers like me don't care greatly about stuff you can't see or showy stuff, as long as the gun runs hard and well and the manufacturer keeps it that way.

Yeah, I have a new Jeep I paid a lot for. The back door rattles, the roof leaks, it has a lot of wind noise, under the carpet it looks like 4 year old put down some sound deadening stuff but it will go pretty much anywhere. If I just wanted it to look pretty I would have bought a Hummer... Some people choose performance over cosmetics and some don't. I like a good balance, your gun looks fine on the outside and had you chose to shoot it it may very well have run fine. It is your choice to send it back and I am sure they will make it more to your liking. Good luck with it. You should have it back by now let us all know how it turned out.

Add a $300.00 hardchrome job to your pistol and you have a $2500.00 pistol built the way they want. Add $500.00 and get a full custom one that is near perfect for $3000.00 from several great smith's on this forum. It is a little more but only cry once.

Yeah, I have a new Jeep I paid a lot for. The back door rattles, the roof leaks, it has a lot of wind noise, under the carpet it looks like 4 year old put down some sound deadening stuff but it will go pretty much anywhere. If I just wanted it to look pretty I would have bought a Hummer... Some people choose performance over cosmetics and some don't. I like a good balance, your gun looks fine on the outside and had you chose to shoot it it may very well have run fine. It is your choice to send it back and I am sure they will make it more to your liking. Good luck with it. You should have it back by now let us all know how it turned out.

I got a good laugh out of this one, paid alot for a vehicle that leaks ect you must have very low standards and I would take that pos back because you can pay alot and have something nice Next time buy a Chevy lol Edited by G34 CORDY

So let's see, say you don't take your wife to the most expensive 5 star restaurant this Saturday night and decide to go with Longhorns or something similar. You order big steak medium with a baked potato and salad. After waiting what seems like an eternity, you get a child sized sirlion that looks like a piece of charcoal and some french fries.

Since you didn't go to the most expensive place, you have no reasonable expectation of getting what you ordered. Or would you say something to the waiter?

I have to disagree with you here. Let's bring things into perspective. $2200 is NOT a drop in the bucket. It's an investment. You are opting into a high end product with the reputation that places it above the rest. The reason shooters agree to pay an exorbitant price is to gain a product that is placed above the typical $800-$1500 mass produced 1911.

It is NOT unreasonable, selfish, or picky to expect what you pay for. Personally - If i wanted something with tool marks and loose slide fit - I would go with a lower priced option.

OP is very just in his frustration, STI markets their pistols in a manner that puts their products on par with custom built guns.

Have we forgotten that the $3-$8k price range pays for 1 semester of tuition for college? Granted it's not Harvard - but it's definitely not something the average US worker earns easily.

I got a good laugh out of this one, paid alot for a vehicle that leaks ect you must have very low standards and I would take that pos back because you can pay alot and have something nice Next time buy a Chevy lol

That is what I bought. A CHEVY CORVETTE ya!

So let's see, say you don't take your wife to the most expensive 5 star restaurant this Saturday night and decide to go with Longhorns or something similar. You order big steak medium with a baked potato and salad. After waiting what seems like an eternity, you get a child sized sirlion that looks like a piece of charcoal and some french fries.

Since you didn't go to the most expensive place, you have no reasonable expectation of getting what you ordered. Or would you say something to the waiter?

Seems like the dead horse has been kicked long enough on each side.