Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI EDGE, is this what $2200 pays for?

Finbox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I groused about the slide to frame fit on my 3 - 4 month old Eagle 40. I've now put about 3000 rounds through it and it just runs well and shoots straight and keeps running when fairly dirty (ran it for 400 rounds without cleaning with no issues, more than that would make me crazy), so I'm now really wondering if a tighter fit would make for a less reliable gun. In other words I'm wondering if for a competition gun the folks that fit things new what they were doing.

The factory trigger was way bad and I don't think there is any excuse for that though, weight was not that bad but creep was very bad and inconsistent, this was fixed quick and for a very reasonable price by my local gun smith but it is something that should not be required on any decent 1911 - 2011.

My back up gun is a Fusion (or it will be if they ever send it back from repair). It is more cosmetically appealing than the STI and fit tighter, but it breaks (or broke, assuming it comes home fixed) barrel link pins every 1500 rounds or so (just enough so you never could trust it at a match) and Fusion didn't know to do things like dimple around the rear sight pin pivot hole, so parts tend to come out while shooting (STI, Les Baer, etc all know to do this). After a certain amount of use the cosmetics are what they are for a competition gun for many of us.

My Les Baer seems to have everything (form and function out of the box). It started life a lot tighter but it is a 45 (less persnickety than 9's or 40's in my limited experience) and it took a few hundred rounds before it seemed free of the infrequent ftf. I'm not sure that comparing a well built 45 to a well built 9 or 40 is apples and apples, I do know that LB does not seem anxious to go away from 45 and my friend with an LB 9 seems to only have about average reliability.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Did a last minute tour at STI's factory after the Tx MG this year.

They do hand fit their slide to frames(watched them do it). I had them look at an eagle that had hammer follow , and they fixed it in about 10 minutes. If you ever have any issue with STI , just give them a call . They do stand behind their product. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience , but I'm sure STI will make it right.

I feel your pain bro, sorry to hear this. You paid way more than enough money to get a gun that runs perfect and looks great, you just didn't get what you paid for. You paid all that money (2-3weeks pay for most of us) to have some confidence and that didn't get fulfilled. I love STI framed guns too, but after getting hosed on a .40 Trojan years ago, I'll never buy another factory STI gun.

To me the whole "things slip by sometimes" or "looks shouldn't matter" or "as long as it shoots" comments are all ridiculous. You bought the Ferrari of the gun world, nothing less than fantastic is acceptable. Sorry to hear your story, hopefully STI makes it as right as possible at this point.

I feel your pain bro, sorry to hear this. You paid way more than enough money to get a gun that runs perfect and looks great, you just didn't get what you paid for. You paid all that money (2-3weeks pay for most of us) to have some confidence and that didn't get fulfilled. I love STI framed guns too, but after getting hosed on a .40 Trojan years ago, I'll never buy another factory STI gun.

To me the whole "things slip by sometimes" or "looks shouldn't matter" or "as long as it shoots" comments are all ridiculous. You bought the Ferrari of the gun world, nothing less than fantastic is acceptable. Sorry to hear your story, hopefully STI makes it as right as possible at this point.

To be clear, the OP does not know if it shoots well or not, he sent it back for mostly cosmetic issues.

I'm sure STI will make it right.

Also, I'd say STI is more like the Camaro ZL1 or Mustang Shelby of the gun world. If you want exotic and hand fit, there are much more expensive finely tuned guns than STI.

Having said that, my STI Tactical 5" runs like a top. Is it the prettiest gun in the world? No. But it works. I've had custom STI/SVs, factory SVs, factory STIs, etc.

They pretty much all run well if the barrel is fit correctly, you have good ammo, a good extractor, and your mags are set up properly. What you are paying for is 1) a name and 2) cosmetics and final fit and finish.

My favorite limited gun of all time I bought used with over 60K rounds on it, rattled when you shook it, look like it had been built with a hacksaw and file, and drug behind a truck and then spray painted (badly). But it fit me, RAN and made tight groups out to 50. Sold it for $ for a "pretty" gun and regreted it ever since.

Edited by sfinney

My point was that he paid for all facets of the gun to be premium and they aren't. I know there are more expensive guns out there, and that in no way affects the point. $2000 is plenty of money, he should have gotten performance and appearance. If someone else wants to pay top dollar for performance and poor appearance then that is their choice, but why have 1 aspect when it's fair to expect both. Would you pay the same price for a Shelby with paint chips and a broken turn signal as you would for a showroom gem?

My point was that he paid for all facets of the gun to be premium and they aren't. I know there are more expensive guns out there, and that in no way affects the point. $2000 is plenty of money, he should have gotten performance and appearance. If someone else wants to pay top dollar for performance and poor appearance then that is their choice, but why have 1 aspect when it's fair to expect both. Would you pay the same price for a Shelby with paint chips and a broken turn signal as you would for a showroom gem?

It is interesting to ponder.

The appearance issues can not be seen unless the gun is disassembled, & many of us would rather pay STI pricing & get the gun as is than to pay another 50 - 150% and get something like an SV or a Wilson, assuming that the gun runs like it should. I guess this makes the case for your local brick and mortar store so you can inspect to your hearts content & then make your own decision based on your own priorities. Last year I bought a S&W 625 over the counter with similar build cosmetics issues, the cosmetics were very irritating but the gun works well (and they look like crap once you bob hammers & etc anyway) so it was a buy decision for me.

With so many quality gunsmiths out there now building great stuff, I'm surprised STI is selling any guns at all. 3 different smiths (all forum members) quoted me the $2500 ballpark for a Limited gun less than 6 months ago. That to me is an extra $300 very well spent.

I would really be interested in the outcome with your pistol. I feel they will satisfy you completely, except for the fact you should have been shooting already and this should not have made it past quality checks.

same problem with my sti edge that i bought brand new. loose slide to frame fit and a lot of jams! sti should do something about it bec it is obviously mass producing these pistols. i changed the barrel to KKM and the rattle went away plus the hardchrome

Edited by bonglee0507

They truly are getting worse and worse I think it may be because they are expanding and doing more business so the quality may be suffering, But they are still a great company and have an outstanding product!.

I am not trying to sling mud on a Great company, that by the way has probably done more for our sport then any other company will ever be able to match!, I am going by what I have experienced personally with them.

I was doing a lot of trading about 2 months ago and handled several NEW guns on the shelf at a local dealer and I honestly only found one frame to slide that was tight and they all had tool marks all over them! I even had a gun shipped to me from Texas that was brand new and it was loose!? Now before all of the die hard fans jump all over me you should know I am a die hard fan to, I do believe that if I would have had the time to ship them back STI would have bent over backwards to fix them but I was lucky and got to choose a tight one at the shop I buy from. Now to the guy that started this thread I say Hell no don't accept that gun! Don't shoot it and live with the fact that it is loose because it functions You paid real money for your gun and Sti has a great reputation for producing an out standing product therefore you have every right to only except an outstanding product!!!!...........................Just my two cents!

My 8 year old Trojan has tool marks. This is not a recent development within STI. I will say, STI serviced the gun several times at no charge, including a barrel whose lugs broke off.

STI guns are massed produced. They make a decent foundation upon which several well know gunsmiths have built great guns.

I feel your pain.

As you probably guess my picture, I am a big SV fan. Their quality is superior, the service is great. True the cost is significant-but as one example I have had the same trigger job for over 80,000 rounds. IT is still outstanding.

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

I have both a CZ and several STIs, while I like my CZ75 I would never put it on the same level as any STI or 2011. There is a reason everyone shoots an STI/2011, its because its the best!

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

I have both a CZ and several STIs, while I like my CZ75 I would never put it on the same level as any STI or 2011. There is a reason everyone shoots an STI/2011, its because its the best!

Cz's are not that durable. When my friend bought a tactical sport, the slide stop always breaks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs? My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is. Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.
Cz's are not that durable. When my friend bought a tactical sport, the slide stop always breaks! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I only shot about 50K rounds thru my Tactical Sport, but it never broke the slide stop! The only thing I've seen on more than one it trouble with the trigger and in all cases they dinked with it!

The STI is the Ford the SVI is the Cadillac, and the CZ is your Audi. To put it bluntly you the consumer want an affordable gun, so STI yields to the market forces and makes it at a price you will buy it, SVI does not cater to the general market, each gun is built by one craftsman, much the same as having a gun built.

Having owned and shot all 3 the SVI is superior in fit finish and appearance, but when it comes to function they are all 3 very good. CZ needs to wake up and smell the coffee, the mags don't allow the OAL we need to run fast powder with heavy bullets. yeahyeahyeah I ditched the CZ because of split cases and blown off tops, the longer S_I cured that issue amazing going from 1.140 to 1.185.

CZ needs to wake up and smell the coffee, the mags don't allow the OAL we need to run fast powder with heavy bullets. yeahyeahyeah I ditched the CZ because of split cases and blown off tops, the longer S_I cured that issue amazing going from 1.140 to 1.185.

I'll agree .40 load options for the TS are limited, but I've really enjoyed shooting 9Major out of my Open TS. I load 1.165" without any problems; I've recently started playing with a large frame Gold Team upper on my Hunter, but loads over 1.140 hit the rifling!?! It's strange because my old small frame Tanfo will shoot the same 1.165" loads as the TS. It might be time for a chamber ream on the GT...

For roughly the cost of some of the "tuned" Edge's you can get a hand built gun like this from FGW.

http://i.imgur.com/Xhvt8E2.jpg

That one actually has some upgraded internals from EGW and slide lightening that you don't get with a factory gun. With gunsmiths able to hand-build guns for the same cost, STI is going to have to step up their game.

For roughly the cost of some of the "tuned" Edge's you can get a hand built gun like this from FGW.

http://i.imgur.com/Xhvt8E2.jpg

That one actually has some upgraded internals from EGW and slide lightening that you don't get with a factory gun. With gunsmiths able to hand-build guns for the same cost, STI is going to have to step up their game.

If I can't find the right used 6" 2011 in .40 I might have to give FGW a call.

My question is simple. Have you sent your STI back yet, and if so what did they say..

yes, see post #48 I sent it back on July 12th, have not heard from them yet.

Cosmetics are one thing...but did you see that chamber? I have looked at 13 Edges at matches sence, and all have no rings like mine.

My question is simple. Have you sent your STI back yet, and if so what did they say..

yes, see post #48 I sent it back on July 12th, have not heard from them yet.

Cosmetics are one thing...but did you see that chamber? I have looked at 13 Edges at matches sence, and all have no rings like mine.

Tell them to ream the chamber

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like this pistol needs a lot of work. Maybe STI hasn't responded to you yet because they've got other pistols that need a lot of work too.

Also, I wonder which companies will end up on top, now that the patent has expired, I expect there will be some serious compettion. I'm tempted to postpone a purchase and see which company can come up with the best product at the best price.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I'm sure STI will still produce the most guns, frames, slides & parts. They are the largest pistol company that builds 2011. CK Arms and others are making frames and working on grip sure. But I think STI has a good hold with the EDGE & EAGLE. I'm not saying other cant build a better gun they do, but most still use STI frames and slides. SV has been building its own guns for years, but STI in still going to be on top. IMHO. But I, like you would wait and see. I'm sure the future is good for limited and open as far gun selection and great builders.

Edited by a matt

That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile.... Completely untrue, but funny!

Edited by CDPMatt