Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI EDGE, is this what $2200 pays for?

Finbox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have several STI pistols, the few times I've had issues they have always helped. I'm sure they will do something with the barrel.

It's not uncommon to spend a little on the base product to get it to suit you, even magazines may require a little fitting. Picture look like the pistol is plated there again a little polishing with 1000 sandpaper with a little light oil may help. Put the paper on something flat an old piece of glass works fine I use my drill press table.

Give STI a call.

STI is sending me a RMA.

With 4 mags, holster, exd. Floor plates, ice mag well, mag release button etc. I got a lot of money tied up in this gun. I hope it turns out great.

Video, you can SEE the movement and hear it.

th_IMG_0197_zps2db3d139.jpg

The one and only STI gun every purchased was from Shooter's Connection when Chuck was still showing up at big matches in the vendor's tent (that will tell you how long ago that was....). When it arrived, it went directly to my gunsmith for a set of rails and a new comp. Doug finally got it running after about 3 or 4 visits.

To put things in perspective, what you paid for your new STI was about what was laid out for a used SVI open gun and a couple of magazines.

Nice to see that STI customer service responded with a Return Material Authorization. Now the wait begins.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

Put some slide glide on it and shoot it. A Brazos basic limited gun is $3000.00 an SVI is way more an Akai is also right around 3k so for about 35% more or $800.00 you can get a more custom built gun and better fit and finish....

SVI's start at around $3400...

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

Reason being is that not a lot gunsmiths know Tanfoglios and CZ's. It's that simple...

Edited by Yagi

In the morning call STI, ask for David Cupp, he has been with STI for several years and is in charge of their warranty and customer service. Tell him your issue and I am sure he will want it back. David is also a very good STI smith. AND he is a very nice guy.

With stories like this and the insane costs of 2011 pistols/components, why don't more people try Tanfoglios and CZs?

My Tactical Sport is tight, runs like a sewing machine and costs half what an Edge does. I even have 2011 guys telling me how great the trigger is.

Other shooters come us to me at matches and ask what that is on my hip?!? I just don't get it.

Reason being is that not a lot gunsmiths know Tanfoglios and CZ's. It's that simple...

They don't need that much gunsmithing I had mine since 2009 and never needed anything done to it. And there is enough smiths to mod or fix what you need, you don't need 100 gunsmiths to work on a gun.

Edited by G34 CORDY

I shoot them and I have been very pleased with them but I believe the problem is that, at least in the case of the Tanfoglios, EAA is not importing as many of them as they could.

I have two Elite Limited and I would like to pick another one up as a backup but I haven't had any luck finding a new one in .40S&W

How did you buy it? Direct, or through Dawson?

Just curious, and I agree with the others about returning it and getting them to fix it.

I have two STIs (Trojan and Sentry) and they were both pretty close to perfect out of the box. From your photos, it would be hard to believe that the Edge (a 2011) came out of the same shop as the Sentry (a 1911).

Chris

I bought it from Oak Hill.

Sucks to send a gun back without even shooting it...

How did you buy it? Direct, or through Dawson?

Just curious, and I agree with the others about returning it and getting them to fix it.

I have two STIs (Trojan and Sentry) and they were both pretty close to perfect out of the box. From your photos, it would be hard to believe that the Edge (a 2011) came out of the same shop as the Sentry (a 1911).

Chris

I bought it from Oak Hill.

Sucks to send a gun back without even shooting it...

So shoot it... it's not like it is going to blow up or break in half. I bought a Contender super 14 barrel in .223 that would make 100 yard 5 shot groups the size of a dime but it had some slight pitting in it. I sent it back and they replaced it, the new one wouldn't put 5 in a half dollar... I should have kept the "defective" barrel

They don't need that much gunsmithing I had mine since 2009 and never needed anything done to it. And there is enough smiths to mod or fix what you need, you don't need 100 gunsmiths to work on a gun.

My Tanfo limited just did not last. They were the only guns I would bring a back up to a local match. And I need them often. They may seem cheaper to start then a STI, but once you start adding up all the henning parts need. It gets expensive very quickly.

To the OP. STI will take care of you. Their customer service has gone out of their way to help me

I had mag issues with my Tanfo before there was mecgar mags so sold it bought a STI Edge and it wouldn't run out of the box worse than my Tanfo, then bought a CZ TS and never had a hiccup. Now I have my old Edge back and it needed work but i still bring a backup for the Edge also. There seems to be a pattern with high dollar guns that won't run from the factory and to me is B.S. it's like buying a sports car from the factory and having to keep taking it in for service so it will idle correctly but some people think that's ok because it's mass produced.

Edited by G34 CORDY

Its time to smell the coffee, clones of STI are starting to show up! If the clones get their act together and I've heard some good reports, somebody going to be looking for a new occupation. The pricing on the Metro Arms Pantera varies but @ $1600 its a 3rd less.

pix424765252.jpg

Aren't there any American companies making that style of modular frames? personally I wouldn't drop that much coin for the metro version. I know freedom gun works is working on one but other than him anyone elsebesides svi?

Do we know what the story is with the original STI/SVI patent(s)? If you look at the STI wikipedia page (and the links back to the original sources are all dead so I have zero idea if what is written on the page is accurate), it's mentioning at least one design patent by the SVI/STI folks. At some point, patents run out and others can then get into the area that that patents cover.

Now just because you could potentially use technology that has become lawful to use, doesn't mean you're any good at executing on that technology. I'm still learning about the world of 1911s and one thing I have figured out is that it's a very skilled craft to be able to design, build, and modify these pistols properly. It's an functional art form in many ways.

Gun is on its way to STI, (they sent a prepaid label) I will keep you guys updated.

Yes I agree if the clones come out and their good...it will be a hard deal for STI.

When Glock came out they had the polymer frames on lock...but their getting hurt big time by all the others, M&P, XD ect.

It was so bad they went to the gen 4 to try to offer the same options as the others.

i am trying to decide on which way to go with a 2011, and the edge had been looking good. I am VERY interested in how STI deals with this.

There is a lot of STI love at my home club. I see people using Edge pistols with great success and they all seem to dig them.

I'm shooting USPSA Production now and I'm saving my pennies to go the Single Stack 1911 route next. The STI Trojan from a known gunsmith is a strong contender for my money once i horde enough of it. Good price-to-value ratio and there's also a lot of love for them at the home club also. I was able to actually fire my first 1911 there which was a 9mm Trojan. Great pistol. Never knew you could have a trigger like that on a gun. I'm just very used to "production" style guns from my law enforcement days.

I'm not sure I'd buy a semi-custom 1911 (or 2011) "off the rack". I'd rather just spend a little extra money to have a gunsmith go over it and do whatever value-add they think makes sense (mag wells, trigger work, etc).

Now if I had money just laying around staring at me, I'd go the custom 1911 route since there are plenty of people who do very fine work in that area.