Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec or normal extractor

jimbullet

This may have been a topic somewhere but just wanted to know if aftec is a drop in part for an sti 40 edge? Is it really that better or will an ordinary single piece extractor do ?

In planning to get a spare extractor for matches and was thinking if I get an aftec or just a standard one.

If the normal one will work then I wouldn't really want to spend much on an aftec and use the money for ammo instead.

The AFTEC is not a drop in part, the firing pin stop has to be fit to it. The AFTEC also needs spare parts, not so much because they ware out, but because you might lose them. Spare springs and a cap.

The easy move is another standard extractor, but the process is to put it in and make sure it runs then it can be a spare, not just buy it throw it in the range bag.

Since my oldest AFTEC is only about 5 years old and it only does between 6 and 8 matches a month and a few practice sessions I don't know how long it will last but suspect darn near forever. My limited gun has a standard sti extractor never had any trouble with it either but then it don't get shot much.

It wasn't a drop in for me, either. Had to tinker with it to get it to run. However, once running it seems to work well and with the exception of replacing the springs should last a long time.

If yours is running, I say leave it alone and fit/tune a standard extractor as a spare if you want to save a few bucks. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a fitted/tuned standard extractor as an spare in your bag even if you go with an AFTEC as your primary extractor.

Check out this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=174094&hl=

Aftec , fit the stop and stock a few springs in your bag and forget it. All factory type extractors will fail eventually. My limited gun has an Aftec circa 1998 no failures. My Trojan the factory extractor failed in > 12000 rounds . I vote to spend the money and never have to learn to fit or tune a conventional extractor.

So an aftec would not break apart? I'm mindful that it has so many parts and the more parts I thought its more susceptible just like what the para did with their power extractor which I had to replace with a single EGW one.

I feared that this being not a one piece metal might fail. Anyone experience failure?

Aftec and forget it.

If I buy a pistol without an aftec, I'll test fire it and make sure the conventional extractor works 100%. Then I'll replace the original with an aftec. The original goes in the spare parts bag just in case.

I've also never had to replace an aftec spring.

Edited by al503

I've seen quite a few shooters (mostly Open) have problems with Aftecs failing. Either the little springs go soft and lose tension or the hook breaks off because of a stuck case or metal fatigue, or crud/ brass shavings builds up inside he tunnel containing it and it can't move enough. I don't think they are any more or less likely to have issues than a properly fit and tuned traditional extractor. I've used Aftecs in both my Limited and Open guns and my main complaint is the little springs getting lost or trying to find one or both of the springs with the "right" amount of tension. Sometimes this required using only 1 of the springs instead of both as well as fiddling with a bag of them to see which little spring was harder or softer. Also, part of tuning/fitting the aftec is to alter/radius the right edge of the firing pin stop to allow the Aftec to move with the case rim. My experience with doing that is that you may no longer be able to get a standard extractor to fit and function properly after this change. Thus you'd need a spare Aftec or additional fitted firing pin stop in addition.

I think they are good parts but have long since gone back to traditional extractors and learned to fit and tune them. The cost of one Aftec is as much as 2-3 extractors depending on brand. Most extractor problems arise from poor fitting or lack of tuning that then come to light when using poor quality ammo that's not properly case gauged or beat up brass rims, poor maintenance, chamber issues.etc. etc. Either design will have trouble curing those issues. By the way...a spare fitted firing pin stop is a good thing to have in the range bag regardless of the type of extractor you choose.

Hope my $.02 is at least helpful,

Cheers623

DVC

Aftec is the only thing ill ever run again. I've had zero issues with an aftec and fitting couldn't be easier. Save the factory firing pin stop an extractor as a spare and fit up an aftec and firing pin stop. You'll probably never even use the factory spare and forget its in your bag.

I shoot Open. My Aftec has failed twice. First, one of the small springs actually broke in half, second the piece called the spring cup had an ear break off.

Admittedly I am terrible at gun maintenance, so this may be related to simply never taking the Aftec out and cleaning it, but who knows.

With that said, I wouldn't run anything else, ever. I've seen too many extraction problems cured with an Aftec, Including the one that caused me to switch about 8 years ago.

Edited by Chris iliff

I've got 5000 rounds on an Aftec in my open gun and no complaints here. I do have a regular extractor in my Edge limited gun that has over 10 thousand rounds on it with no problems either. But if I have problems with the Edge I may put an Aftec in it as well.

I had an Aftec fail at a match yesterday. The cap that goes over the springs broke after about 22000 rounds. I need to be more diligent about inspecting & replacing that part!

Except for this issue, the Aftec has worked very well in my open guns, but it is important to carry spare parts!

It's a wash.

Most of the issues with an aftec can be solved with new springs, or learning which springs require less tension.

Alot of complaints about aftec extractors are actually problems with the ejector.

If you know how to properly fit a standard extractor, buy two and tune them. A little vice love every so often goes a long way.

I'm with Tim. Used them when they first came out, but now all I use in my builds are the old technology kind. Much more adjustable and about a third of the price.

I bought my .40 used with an Aftec. Never had any issues and never replaced the springs.

My SA 1911 .45 stock extractor has run perfectly for probably 15k rounds. Getting ready for Single Stack Nationals I figured I'd better have a spare handy, so I got a new Wilson stop and extractor. Both plugged right in with no fitting or tuning, and worked perfectly. I left them in and now have several thousand more rounds on them with zero issues.

I find the Aftec to be more difficult to remove and replace, and doesn't seem to work any better.