Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best affordable 1911

So a friend of mine REALLY wants to purchase a 1911. He plans to use it for home defense and as a sidearm while hunting. I tried to talk him into a M&P or Glock but he is pretty set on a 1911. I've owned two Kimbers and I had reliability problems with both. That experience drove me away from the platform. So my question is this: what are the best/most reliable brands to look at in the $1000-$1500 range? I've been told Colt and Springfield are a good place to start. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

I would talk with him again and point out he could have 2 glocks, XDs, CZs or M&Ps for the same money, one for home defense and one for hunting. Not only are they far more reliable for an "intense" situation but if he isn't single....one will still be at home for defense while he is off hunting. After he has those he can splurge on a 1911 for fun and torture :devil:

I have an incredibly reliable 1911 and it would still be the last handgun I would grab for a home defense or hunting situation.

ETA: If he still insists on being bullheaded have him look at the Dan Wessons. Very good value and don't let him get an entry level STI if he is going to actually shoot it a lot.

Edited by carbon9

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Sprinfield Range Officer and a STI Trojan 9mm. The RO runs all the reloads and hollow points I feed it. The Trojan won't feed hollow points or 147gr flat nosed bullets. They all dive into the feed ramp and stop.

Should I send the Trojan back to STI? I love the Trojan and think its a great gun but I think of it as a range/competition gun only. All my guns are in the safe with an empty chamber but full mag of hollow points in case I have to grab them in a hurry, except the Trojan. It just sits there with no mag.

As for the orginial question, looking for seld defense and hunting sidearm. I would go with the Springfield MC Operator. It has a fixed night sights and a light rail so you can attach a flashlight. It has a good coating on it and front cocking serrations.

Springpictures_9_40.jpg

I would look at a sig sauer 1911 for the above reasons.

My Springfield is a 45. I shot it today, ran flawless. The Trojan had a couple hickups but it was moly lead reloads so that could have been it.

I would go for a Glock or M&P before a 1911 for self defense, but if a 1911 is a must have, get a 45. Its the original design and seems to be the most reliable. Plus if you can only load 8-10 rounds, get the biggest bullets possible.

I currently carry a Rock Island Armory Tactical. It's as good as any other 1911 I've ever fired. With 1000 rounds through it, I have yet to have a single malfunction and it only cost me $400 at a gunshow. Some snobs don't like the Phillipine 1911's, but they've been making the 1911 since General MacArthur was there in the 30's so people need to read history. They are true 1911's and are of the series 70 design

I have to agree 100% with this. A friend of mine bought one from buds and had it shipped for $409.00 we were all very impressed it was fit and shot as well as any $1000.00 1911 any of us had seen. And it already had custom features bevertail etc, this by far is the best least expensive 1911 on the market bar none...

Edited by Rick88

• 3 weeks later...

I've had Colts, Taurus and Paras and shot STI's and Kimbers and Springfields. I currently carry a Rock Island Armory Tactical. It's as good as any other 1911 I've ever fired. With 1000 rounds through it, I have yet to have a single malfunction and it only cost me $400 at a gunshow. Some snobs don't like the Phillipine 1911's, but they've been making the 1911 since General MacArthur was there in the 30's so people need to read history. They are true 1911's and are of the series 70 design so there are lees concerns to my mind. Hope it helps...

I agree I carry one and it has functioned flawlessly with any ammunition ive been reloading or from the box.. great shooting and extremely accurate with the 3.5 inch barrel not light, but nice to have the weight at your hip

I bought a low end Kimber when I started shooting and won league within a year shooting factory loads. I hate cleaning. I spray it out and dump oil on it around 1500 rounds.

Never a hiccup from it. I laugh at the guys with expensive guns who suck. Spend money on practicing that's what makes the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

From an affordable POV I think you can't go wrong with a Springfield MilSpec 1911 in 45acp. It is a great platform to start with and as you determine what you really need you can have it modified and still not break the bank.

Just Sayin

I've been collecting 1911's for several years and have many. I just love the platform, the engineering, the beauty of a fine 1911....

You will hear all kinds of arguments about MIM vs forged, one brand vs another, and so on. But with the amazing advancements in technology, the recent production 1911's coming out of Springfield, Sig, Ruger, Colt, Kimber, Magnum Research (Desert Eagle), STI, RIA and several others I haven't mentioned are all of excellent quality.

But, if you are willing to go up to $1500, I'd look for a used but great condition Les Baer or a new or used Dan Wesson depending on the model. If you get one of these you will have a gun you will never want to trade or sell. Just my opinion.

If your friend is looking for a sub $800 1911, I would add another vote for the RIA tactical ($450), Spartan ($640) or RIA Match in 5" ($580) or 6" ($700). Obviously you get more 'features' with the increase in price, but if those features aren't important to you, then it is just an unnecessary additional cost.

Not that I shoot a lot of Single Stack, but I picked up a used Springfield Loaded for less that $550. I shot it for a few weeks as I adapted to its function as I waited for my local gun smith to have an opening is his schedule. For an additional $250 I got back a beautiful 1911 with a glass breaking 3 lb trigger after the important parts were replaced. So for $800 I got a 1911 that would have cost me well over $1,200 if purchased straight from the factory, and $1,600+ if purchased from a custom gunsmith.

It helped a lot that the salesman from the gun-store was the brother to my gunsmith. He knew what his brother wanted for a base gun and knew what parts were likely to be replaced, so he did not waste his time on trying to sell me a new gun.

Travis Tomasi has a signature Para as does Max with Sig.

You might look to them for a good value.

I own a Trojan and would not buy another one. Nice gun, accurate but I had to replace almost every part.

There are so many different 1911s at all kinds of prices. It will become a matter of personal preference but since your friend has no experience, buy the best gun possible for the money.

I don't own a LB but would buy one in a New York minute. They are very well made, accurate, reliable and a great price. SA makes some nice models.

Don't rule out Limbers. I bought the low end Kimber Custom II and it has run perfect for me. Look up Clark Custom on the web and see what he says about them you will need to stick with a steel frame gun. Have u looked at a CZ 97 in 45. Check that platform out as well.

Several are in the price range. Kimber's, Trojans, Springer's all well built and may require some tuning or a few part's to get them to suit the owner. Expect to spend a little on any that you purchase. STI's Trojan would be a very good choice. Series 70 Trigger system is easer to tune along with quality parts already there. Draw back factory finish won't hold well. I've had excellent service with mine in 9mm. Once it was tuned had it hard chromed four years ago and it's holding up very well. Prefer the Trojan over the Kimber and the Kimber over a Springer. I like the feel of the high under cut on the frame. Pistol just feels better and points better for me.

Taurus is pretty much a good paper weight. Les Baer may be a little over the price range but should be considered. Add a few hundred to one of the other choices and your close in money spent. Best buy in a top end pistol.

Suggest adjustable sights on any that you pick, only way to go in a competition pistol.

Good luck with your choice.

I have the Sprinfield Range Officer and a STI Trojan 9mm. The RO runs all the reloads and hollow points I feed it. The Trojan won't feed hollow points or 147gr flat nosed bullets. They all dive into the feed ramp and stop.

Should I send the Trojan back to STI? I love the Trojan and think its a great gun but I think of it as a range/competition gun only. All my guns are in the safe with an empty chamber but full mag of hollow points in case I have to grab them in a hurry, except the Trojan. It just sits there with no mag.

As for the orginial question, looking for seld defense and hunting sidearm. I would go with the Springfield MC Operator. It has a fixed night sights and a light rail so you can attach a flashlight. It has a good coating on it and front cocking serrations.

Springpictures_9_40.jpg

It's good to see a rail gun with an actual light.

Springpictures_9_40.jpg

It's good to see a rail gun with an actual light.

If it were me I would steer clear of anything with MIM parts and Series 80 parts. Your milage may vary.

i have 5k pluss through my taurus pt1911 with no problems yet. my dad has a couple thousand through his pt1911 with no problems. buy what you think is right for you. after all its a 1911 and it depends on the name on the side of it as to what it cost. some definately have better parts than others but think about it. if you buy a $600 1911 and after a couple thousand rounds you need to replace something then replace it with good parts. by the time you are at 10k rounds it has all good parts because what did not hold up has been replaced. oh by the way you started with a $600 gun. just my .02

I would give a thumbs up for the RIA. I've had one a short time and so far it has operated perfectly. For the price it's a great gun. The finish isn't as nice as some of the others but I'm guessing it won't be used to win any beauty contest.