Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best affordable 1911

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing all of this bad talk about Taurus 1911's. I bought a used one 4 years ago for around $300. I knew it wasn't going to be great but thought it would be a good start into 1911s. I started shooting USPSA in the fall of 2011 and have been shooting Single Stack almost exclusively (I own a Glock 17 but hate it with a passion). The Taurus was a good gun to grow with because the bad trigger taught me better control, the failures to feed and eject taught me malfunction clearing, and the low price made it not unthinkable to work on it myself when I wanted to change parts. I am an engineer and knew that I would want to tinker with whatever 1911 I purchased and the low price of the Taurus was appealing because I knew that even if I screwed it up I wouldn't be ruining a new Nighthawk or Wilson. So far I have fit Dawson Sights, a magwell, an extractor and firing pin stop, a trigger, hammer, disconnector, and sear, and I am in the process of undercutting the trigger guard and duracoating (and I removed the series 80 parts). As long as you know what you are getting into a Taurus can be a good purchase, just don't expect it to be great out of the box and enjoy the ride.

I got an RIA .45 for ~$450 to try out single stack, and it worked well except FMJRN loads kept hitting the slide stop and causing the slide to lock back with rounds left in the mag. 5 min with a dremel cured that and haven't had any malfunctions since.

Upgraded to an STI Trojan (.45) a few of months ago and love it. Ran great out of the box, though I did follow this http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0705.htm Not a single malfunction in the first 2500+ rounds. Trigger is much nicer than RIA, fit is a lot tighter, etc. If he can afford it, Trojan is definitely the way to go IMO.