Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best affordable 1911

So a friend of mine REALLY wants to purchase a 1911. He plans to use it for home defense and as a sidearm while hunting. I tried to talk him into a M&P or a Glock but he is pretty set on a 1911. I've owned two Kimbers and I had reliability problems with both. That experience drove me away from the platform. So my question is this: what are the best/most reliable brands to look at in the $1000-$1500 range? I've been told Colt and Springfield are a good place to start. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Edited by triggerman300

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Taurus 1911. It has upgrades as standard that would cost probably at least $1000 to have done to a stock 1911. The gun cost me about $650 brand new a few years ago.

It has functioned perfectly with whatever reloads I have fed it. It has never had a failure of any kind. It's accuracy is very good also.

I don't think you could beat this 1911, especially if you consider the price.

Jim

I have a Taurus 1911. It has upgrades as standard that would cost probably at least $1000 to have done to a stock 1911. The gun cost me about $650 brand new a few years ago.

It has functioned perfectly with whatever reloads I have fed it. It has never had a failure of any kind. It's accuracy is very good also.

I don't think you could beat this 1911, especially if you consider the price.

Jim

I have the STI Spartan and love it. It was $650 and has run great as my USPSA gun.

I have had no issues with my Springfield, stock out of box it digests anything I put in it. (Store bought stuff, not into reloading).

Agree on the Kimbers, nice weapon if you keep it spotless, but for every day carry had reliability issues.

I have had no issues with my Springfield, stock out of box it digests anything I put in it. (Store bought stuff, not into reloading).

Agree on the Kimbers, nice weapon if you keep it spotless, but for every day carry had reliability issues.

What model Springfield do you own?

All depends what he wants to spend! If he really wants the best bang for the buck, I'd go with an STI Spartan, with a fixed rear (if carrying, if not leave the adjustable). You should also be looking at an STI Trojan, SA TRP, SA RO, used Les Bear's, Colt 70 series if that's his thing.

You should really give the 1911 another try...basing your whole experience from Kimber is well...kind of like basing your opinion of F1 racing by driving a Hyundai.

Edited by polizei1

You should really give the 1911 another try...basing your whole experience from Kimber is well...kind of like basing your opinion of F1 racing by driving a Hyundai.

Maybe not to that extreme, but +1.

$1500 buys a pretty nice 1911. STI Spartan or Springfield (RO or Loaded), and spend an extra couple of bucks having a good smith do a trigger job would be a fine place to start. Even better yet, check the classified ads here to find 1911s that someone has already tweaked and tuned. I'll send a PM on a gun I have for sale.

BB

I've had Colts, Taurus and Paras and shot STI's and Kimbers and Springfields. I currently carry a Rock Island Armory Tactical. It's as good as any other 1911 I've ever fired. With 1000 rounds through it, I have yet to have a single malfunction and it only cost me $400 at a gunshow. Some snobs don't like the Phillipine 1911's, but they've been making the 1911 since General MacArthur was there in the 30's so people need to read history. They are true 1911's and are of the series 70 design so there are lees concerns to my mind. Hope it helps...

I just recently bought my first Trojan, and while I have had other 1911's in the past I keep saying to myself why didn't you buy an STI earlier. I am sad to say I have wasted a lot of money on other types of guns, when I should of bought this first years ago.

I was fortuante enough to find one with everything that I wanted on it to begin with...except the grips which I hope to have tonight. The fit and quality of workmanship is great. And you know you are getting excellent warranty/customer service from the folks at STI.

It's been said, so again, STI makes some affordable, quality 1911s. If he could find a used Baer or Brown in his price range and move fast (because it won't last long), that would be a nice choice.

Avoid Taurus like the plague.

The STI Spartan is the best value 1911 in my book. The sights and trigger components make up for the difference in price between its sister gun, the RIA Tactical.

I have one Spartan already and wouldn't mind having a few more.

An important question would be do you have a good smith in the area? With a good smith you can get a low cost used gun for $300 to $500 and for a couple of hundred more have the important parts replaced/tweaked/fitted so that you have an excellent gun for both accuracy and reliability. There are a lot of good guns out there straight out of the box. There are even more that are created by a quality gunsmith.

Avoid Taurus like the plague.

The STI Spartan is the best value 1911 in my book. The sights and trigger components make up for the difference in price between its sister gun, the RIA Tactical.

I have one Spartan already and wouldn't mind having a few more.

I have seen several Taurus 1911's lock up at my local range. However I am not sure of why they locked up...it could just be the end user failed to keep it lubricated.

I have both RIA Tac and STI spartan. Both are excellent shooters and have been trouble free since I bought them. If your budget is REALLY tight, go for the RIA. If you can afford to spend at least 700 bucks, get the Spartan. All the added features make it a better value.

So a friend of mine REALLY wants to purchase a 1911. He plans to use it for home defense and as a sidearm while hunting. I tried to talk him into a M&P or a Glock but he is pretty set on a 1911. I've owned two Kimbers and I had reliability problems with both. That experience drove me away from the platform. So my question is this: what are the best/most reliable brands to look at in the $1000-$1500 range? I've been told Colt and Springfield are a good place to start. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

What caliber? Single or double stack?

This is the one I just bought a couple of weeks ago...but mine had the magwell on it. Love it. I am just waiting on a pair of VZ Operator grips to show up to put on it.

I have the Sprinfield Range Officer and a STI Trojan 9mm. The RO runs all the reloads and hollow points I feed it. The Trojan won't feed hollow points or 147gr flat nosed bullets. They all dive into the feed ramp and stop.

Should I send the Trojan back to STI? I love the Trojan and think its a great gun but I think of it as a range/competition gun only. All my guns are in the safe with an empty chamber but full mag of hollow points in case I have to grab them in a hurry, except the Trojan. It just sits there with no mag.

As for the orginial question, looking for seld defense and hunting sidearm. I would go with the Springfield MC Operator. It has a fixed night sights and a light rail so you can attach a flashlight. It has a good coating on it and front cocking serrations.

Springpictures_9_40.jpg