Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quit a stage?

cali shot doc

Last Week I shot a couple stages @ my uncle's local club and the guy before me quit in the middle of the stage. He was shooting at a texas star and just had a hard time making the shots. Seeing this made me nervous since I was next and I didn't want to have the same issue. It took me 9 shots to complete it (took me 3 shots on the last plate), but as I was shooting it I could see how the guy before me gave up after emptying two mags and still not completing it

I'm just wondering how many people have given up durring a stage or had really considered it when things weren't going their way?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at some point you must leave some standing,

and go engage whats left. FTE get expensive.

its hard because because you think the next shot will bring it down.

dont run out of bullets before all the targets are engaged.

I have considered throwing in the towel on a few times, but I've never actually quit a stage. I'm not wired like that. I'm sure that a bunch of people have thought about doing it. I have seen other people quit shooting a stage before, but it was due to them being physically out of ammo. I haven't been there (yet), but if you have expended all 61 rounds that you went to the line with, I'm thinking that shit has gone seriously sideways. :lol:

Last weekend at the Michigan Sectional, Sarge and I had a brand new lady shooter who was at the match because of the "Babes with Bullets" class. On about the second shot of the stage she had a jam that completely screwed up her mind. Kevin was cool and tried to "coach" her thru the problem while listening to her saying "I don't know what to do!" Kay and Lisa stepped up and finally helped her clear the jam and she finished the stage. Afterward she was relieved to have finished instead of quitting. She should have started her competition career at some local matches, but it felt good to see her complete a difficult task. I'm sure every shooter has been frustrated at some point during a COF, but finishing will feel better than quitting.

I've been tempted to leave a piece of steel up after 3 or 4 shots and move on but have never had to. that 5th one seems to work. :)

I don't think I would ever quit. I may run out of bullets or time but not quit.

In August at a local match I hit an 8" plate that turned sideways. The range was about 12 yards or so, and and all I could see of the plate was the edge. This stage was off hand only, and sometime during this CF My grip lossened and I began to experience FTF's. I hit the edge of the plate five or six times according to my friend that was the RO. I fianally went on and got all of the other targets, and then went back and shot four more times, before knocking the sideways plate down. After the stage the consensus was that I should have gone on because the penalty would have hurt way sorse than the extra time. I'm not sure that I amcapable of quitting in the middle as long as I had bullets and the pistol still worked. It may have been smarter, but in my mind I still had a "bad guy" up in front of me, so I continued until it was down.

I once shot a popper to slide lock that didn't go down.

It was the first target.

I asked for a calibration and it went down. :roflol:

Moral of the story - take the mike, finish the stage.

Edited by DyNo!

I have quit stages twice. The first time was a few years ago when I had to get on a bridge that swung underneath me while shooting a Texas Star through a portal. I just couldn't get my balance so it swung a bit and I was a newer shooter and just felt totally unsafe. So I told the RO I was done, the scorekeeper steadied the bridge and I unloaded and holstered and called it a day. The second time was at Area 3 this year. I was running up a set of stairs and fell. I twisted my wrist and shoulder to control the gun on the way down and technically could have continued the stage but I was shook and in pain. I ended up with a shoulder injury was over a month in healing. So I guess I have accepted the stages I didn't finish and hopefully won't have to quit again.

By the way, I was in the Babes squad at the Michigan sectional and commend the patience and understanding of the ROs with our newer shooters. You guys were top notch! THANKS!

In August at a local match I hit an 8" plate that turned sideways. The range was about 12 yards or so, and and all I could see of the plate was the edge. This stage was off hand only, and sometime during this CF My grip lossened and I began to experience FTF's. I hit the edge of the plate five or six times according to my friend that was the RO. I fianally went on and got all of the other targets, and then went back and shot four more times, before knocking the sideways plate down. After the stage the consensus was that I should have gone on because the penalty would have hurt way sorse than the extra time. I'm not sure that I amcapable of quitting in the middle as long as I had bullets and the pistol still worked. It may have been smarter, but in my mind I still had a "bad guy" up in front of me, so I continued until it was down.

Unlike Poppers, metal plates are not subject to calibration or calibration

challenges. If a scoring metal plate has been hit but fails

to fall or overturn, the Range Officer shall declare range equipment

failure and order the competitor to reshoot the course of

fire, after the faulty plate has been rectified.

Should have had a reshoot due to REF.

I have never quit, but I have seen several stop because they ran out of bullets. One was because he forgot to top off all of his mags after the previous COF. Went to slide lock with a couple of targets left. RELOAD, bang bang, RELOAD, Bang, RELOAD ???? Last mag was totally empty. 3 Mags, 3 shots

Edited by Poppa Bear

At the NC sectional a few years ago I had a guy in my squad who turned his head to the side, lost his breakfast, and then continued on with the course of fire. He didn't quit, but the next shooter up, who stepped in it did.

A post I wish I'd skipped...........:sick:

Earlier this summer i went to the range to practice and saw a newer shooter practicing shooting steel. He and a more experienced shooter spent a number of hours and a few hundred rounds practicing. A few days later at the weekly league match this guy was on my squad and the first stage had 4 mini poppers to shoot right after the draw. He used every mag on his belt and only got two of them. We were yelling to him to move on but he said no and kept getting madder. After his last mag he packed his bag and left the range and has never been back. This sport and his temperment weren't compatable.

A couple of years ago, I realized on the first stage that

my sights were off (shooting a C-More on a TruBor Open

gun), and when I got to a stage where there was a small

steel plate about 30-40 yards away, I debated taking one

fast shot at it and taking the mike, or trying to figure

out where to aim to hit it and take multiple shots. Wasn't

sure which would end up with a higher score.

I reviewed the previous stage and figured the sight was

shooting low right, so I took the shot by aiming hi left,

and it worked after three shots.

But, you do have to consider the seconds wasted, and if

you feel that You, with Your gun, don't have a reasonable

chance of hitting a small distant target, I believe it

will be in your best interest to fire one quick shot at

the target and move on. Depends on what you think you

can reasonably hit in a reasonable amount of time.

we all have had plan A-Z turn to crap at some point, and you will fell a sense of OMG what next??? but i have never quit a stage, never, be it the equipment???(had several toys go single shot on me) hell, ive had a cylinder fall to the ground on me,and i finished the stage, quit??? not as long as i have bullets on the belt/in the gun

What game were you playing ? In USPSA thats a range equipment failure and The RO was supposed to stop you and make you reshoot. Plates that dont fall when hit are REF.

I must confess I quit on a stage at the Indiana sectional this summer. As one shooter already said FTE's get expensive. Basically I ran past one target and finished the stage. I knew I did it but for whatever reason(pride maybe) I left it standing. I thought I was shooting pretty poorly in the match anyway so it was no big deal until I saw the results of the match. I ended up 4th in my class in production. And if I recall(I try not to) I was only a few points out of first. The FTE on top of the Mikes cost me everything.

Chris K said to me 5 times that day, "whatever happens in a match don't ever quit". I should have listened.

Quit a stage you kidding me. I was on the 3rd shot of a 32 round COF, the barrel link on my open gun broke, I had to switch hands and hit it to eject each round, at the end of the COF there was a port you had to hold open and shoot strong hand. I finished it in 1:43:25 for a whopping 1.06% but I finished it. Stars can give you a fit at times but if you are going to quit then get some crotchet hooks and stay home and make a sweater.

I must confess I quit on a stage at the Indiana sectional this summer. As one shooter already said FTE's get expensive. Basically I ran past one target and finished the stage. I knew I did it but for whatever reason(pride maybe) I left it standing. I thought I was shooting pretty poorly in the match anyway so it was no big deal until I saw the results of the match. I ended up 4th in my class in production. And if I recall(I try not to) I was only a few points out of first. The FTE on top of the Mikes cost me everything.

Chris K said to me 5 times that day, "whatever happens in a match don't ever quit". I should have listened.

Sarge, you should know better than that! Winners never quit, and quitters never win.

Of course, I've also heard that, if at first you don't succeed, then failure may be your style.... :roflol:

Quitting and running out of ammo is two different things. I have never quit, no matter how bad things got, but I have been forced to retire from matches due to lack of ammo...

I've also seen the wheels fall off and guys just give up in a match, literally just emptying their mags down range just about as fast as they could pull the trigger, and while technically, that isn't quitting, it is the same to me.

I haven't quit a stage but had a few I should have. Area 3 in 2005, dislocated my knee sideways in the middle of a stage. Gimped up, shaking like a leaf from the pain and on the verge of tears I finished the stage. HORRIFIC time and points but I finished.

Joe W.

We had a shooter once at a local falling steel fun shoot who should have quit. There were 72 required hits scored time only. The low match time was 49 seconds. His time for the match was over 1400 seconds. His buddies must have been making Walmart runs to buy him more ammo. He should have quit to go to a public range to learn how to shoot before he went bankrupt. Normally, I abhor quitters, especially people who trash a stage and quit the match so they won't look bad in the results. If there's a good reason to quit, injury, unsafe conditions, that's another story.

Edited by Steve J

• 3 weeks later...

I have, but only because my gun wouldn't chamber any of my reloads.

Weird issue that I have since resolved.

Ran the whole first stage, no issues.

Second stage I got about 5 shots off, then jam. Cleared it, then jam. Then the next round jammed have way into the chamber and had to be ripped out. Eventually I called it quits.

Note to self: Different bullet profiles require different OALs.

i never quit a stage good or bad. in my opinion if i finish and its going bad i have a chance to learn something cause obviously i did something wrong. if you cant learn from your own mistakes then you cant learn from someone elses.