Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Message from Linda Chico

In a few days, I expect to post under "Last Shot Fired," but in the meantime, I am getting so many phone and email messages, I wanted to post some information here. I am caring for my husband Tim at home, so I am too busy to attempt replies to individual emails or PM's at this point.

All of his friends in the shooting community are aware that Tim Daugherty has been fighting a diagnosis of Leukemia for the last 7 years. We were originally told that there was no known cure for his type of leukemia, and that there was a possibility of prolonging his life only with experimental treatment through medical clinical trials. Over the last 7 years, he has participated in 6 research studies with experimental medications. Some were better than others at slowing down his disease. All took a toll on him, sapping his strength and energy, and some seriously made him very ill.

The leukemia has progressed to the point where he had only a few months left, and we made an effort to slow the process down with the last two clinical trials he entered (one in late January and a second in late June after the first failed to work). Unfortunately, the last two sessions of chemotherapy did not interrupt the course of his leukemia, and had some very devastating side effects which injured his lungs.

People who were aware of his cancer always said Tim “looked good.” That was a blessing but it hid how weak and tired he was. In late July, after chemotherapy, he became very ill and had a high fever. He was hospitalized by his doctors. We spent 11 days in the hospital while he underwent many tests to discover the source of the fever. All tests came back negative. He lost his appetite, lost weight and energy, and decided he had had enough. He told me he wanted to go home to die in his own bed. So we left the hospital and were set up with hospice care at home. He is very ill and may only have a few days left.

By his request, the ONLY people he wanted to come visit were his brother, sister and children. I called them so that they could make arrangements to come to South Carolina. I intend to honor any request he makes.

Please understand that this is not meant to slight anyone. He had 7 years to see the people he wanted to visit. He was able to walk his daughter down the aisle and play with his grandchildren. He shot in competition when he was able, and took some hunting trips out west. He wants to be remembered as an active person: a father, brother, uncle, grandpa, shooter and friend. He does not want to be remembered as an invalid. He specifically invited his children and siblings, but did not include their spouse/significant others or children. He did not want them to remember him this way. And, again, I intend to honor this request.

Tim and I have had many years to talk about how he wanted to spend his final days, and the plans for final arrangements. He very specifically does NOT want a public funeral, memorial service or visitation. Everyone will grieve and mourn in their own way. He welcomes the prayers offered by family and friends in his name. He just does not want an organized effort. He has asked to be cremated and wants his ashes scattered in Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park. I plan to honor these wishes, also.

Many thanks to those of you who sent long, detailed messages with memories of happier times or emailed pictures. Tim is very hoarse, and not up to talking. But he has enjoyed the messages I have read to him. With Katie, Chuck, (his children) Pat and Mick (sister & brother) here, we are going through old photo albums and looking at digital photos, so that we are sharing many memories. Thank you for your concern, love and prayers. If you would like to call me, please contact me only on my cell phone. I have muted the ringer on the home phone because it disturbs Tim.

Linda Chico

Linda, I never met Tim, but just knowing you and seeing how much you love and care for him lets me know the top-notch guy he is. I'd probably be far down the list you'd call but if there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Love and prayers to you both.

...Mark

Both you and Tim are in my prayers Linda... be strong for him.

Jim

Something from Emerson that touched me when I read it.

"It is the secret of the world that all things subsist and do not

die, but only retire a little from sight and afterwards return again.

Nothing is dead; men feign themselves dead, and endure mock funerals

and mournful obituaries, and there they stand looking out of the

window, sound and well, in some new strange disguise. Jesus is not

dead; he is very well alive; nor John, nor Paul, nor Mahomet, nor

Aristotle; at times we believe we have seen them all, and could

easily tell the names under which they go."

Edited by JThompson

When I lost someone close, a friend told me this and I found it comforting.

"It's not love and attachment that hurt, it's the detachment and goodbyes. Learn to say a good "goodbye" and then let go because your memories of the good times never leave you. God gave us memories so that in the dead of winter we can remember the sweet warmth of summer."

A prayer of peace to help settle and strengthen your spirit in this most trying of times.

Carina