Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best single malt

I have not tried to many single malts but Glenlevit 12 and 18 are both pretty good.

And for something really good but easy on the wallet McClellands Highland, Lowland and Islay are all 3 very good. I can't go for the Speyside stuff. Sorry Sooner, not for me.

Now I can't say for myself because I have never tried it but a couple of friends of mine really love the Macallan.

Have the following in the cabinet. Most were bought trying to find what I liked.

Auchentoshan

Balvenie--Doublewood--12

Bowmore

Dalmore--12--This is one I like.

Glenfiddich--Like this one.

Glen Garioch--8 and 10

Glenlivet--12 and 18--I like the 12 better than the 18.

Glenmorangie--12

Laphroaig--10--My favorite. Seems I like a smoky, peaty flavor.

Oban

Talisker--10

I've tried others that I bought for my brother for Christmas and his birthday. Trouble is I don't remember what they were. He also is looking for what he really likes. So far he is like me and prefers a smoky, peaty taste.

Absolutely Laphroaig! Especially if you like it smokey! I got the 10 year 1st, liked it so I sprung for the 15. WOW what a difference in 5 short years!! I really wanna try some Lagavulin someday as well.

Aside from those, I like the Dalmore 12 and The Balvenie.

Trodrig

reading this reminded me I'm not on call and can have a drink.

I'm sipping a glass of Glenfiddich which is a good scotch for not too much money

Oban is also very good

but my all time favorite is Macallans the 12 and 18. smooth with a slight sweet sherry flavor.

the next time I go to Costco, I gotta convince the wife to let me buy a bottle of the Kirkland brand scotch, I know it doesn't sound very Scottish to me ether, but on the label below the Kirkland heading is Macallans 18, for 60 buck a bottle it's a bargain.

I haven't tried a Scotch that I didn't like. Some are more notable than others. Lagavulin is awesome. Highland Park is one of my favorites.

Bob- As long as your in Baltimore, you should stop in to Birds of a Feather. 1712 Aliceanna in Fells Point. They had 70 or so bottles of Scotch behind the bar last time I was there. There food is excellent as well. Lots of wild game that you wouldn't see any where else.

I have been bitten by the single malt bug this year...didn't know what I had been missing!

I'll echo the praise for The Macallan.

The Glenlivet is a good all around dram and no too hard on the wallet.

I wonder if anyone out in the Benoverse has tried Bruichladdich Islay malt? I am not sure that it's available around these parts, with our state monopolized distribution and draconian liquor laws. :(

AikiDale - what is that hahahahaha.

Doug speak on this Longmorn, I have never tried it.

Longmorn is a small distillary in the Speyside region. Not many places stock it, I got a few bottles last time coming through the duty free store in Toronto.

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/distilleries/longmorn.htm

A good number of liqour stores in Ottawa carries Longmorn, hell even the liqour store in the pissant town I used to live in carried it. I haven't seen it where I'm at now but it doesn't matter because I can get it anytime.