Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Gohuskers - very nice workmanship. I wish we lived closer together!

Do you brace your benches to the wall?

No I don't brace them at all. The one with the SDB loader on it probably weighs a good 250 pounds and doesn't budge an inch when loading since the legs are spread 25" in width and are 3 inch wide oak. The top is solid hardwood - ash - so there's no flex at all. These are really great tables and they're not difficult to make. I may document the process next time and post it.

I made a deal with my wife that if I paint the living room she and I would go clean up the basement so I can get my bench in the house. It's going to be a lot of work but it will be worth it to get my little "Man Cave". It will take a week or so do get started but I'm going to get it done some time this year if it kills me.

My First Bench:

Note - the Craftsman label was put on upside down by the mfg. not mecool.gif

This bench works well if you want a high bench but does need to be anchored to the wall.

post-15282-127834204449_thumb.jpg

Edited by TonyG35

Why do you guys always say things like "man cave" or "hideout" when your are talking about where you do your reloading/gun room .... Come on you need to go on the offensive and retake your castle !!!!!!!! Baskets and figurines need to be tucked away in odd corners. I leave to you charlie mike on

I wish I knew how to make my picture file smaller I got pics from when I was at home depot picking up the 2x4's and bolts very solid & sturdy I don't even have it bolted down so when I move and install it in my new Mans room AKA "THE LAB" lol..

• 2 weeks later...

I need to relocate my reloading station to another place other than front and center in the family room. It has become obvious that this is not the place to entertain friends and family. I think the time has come for the design of a portable reloading station, enclosed in a nice wood cabinet that can accommodate the needs of all. I have seen sewing cabinets that revert to fine pieces of furniture by lowering the machine into the cabinet and out of view. The technology already exists. Is anyone interested in developing this concept? Please email me at esolomon113@att.net. I may have ready financing and a possible distribution network available.

I need to relocate my reloading station to another place other than front and center in the family room. It has become obvious that this is not the place to entertain friends and family. I think the time has come for the design of a portable reloading station, enclosed in a nice wood cabinet that can accommodate the needs of all. I have seen sewing cabinets that revert to fine pieces of furniture by lowering the machine into the cabinet and out of view. The technology already exists. Is anyone interested in developing this concept? Please email me at esolomon113@att.net. I may have ready financing and a possible distribution network available.

funny, we were exactly on the same page: my mother bought one of those sewing tables (it was half price and still close to $1,000)and it is made of mdf/ melamine. I got to thinking I could get out the table saw and produce something out of real wood for that much. a problem as I see it comes down to clearance of the handle: only a dillon on a strong mount could be able to clear the lip of the table (which thins out the market a little bit). I would love to see someone work out the details... If only I had AutoCAD...

• 2 weeks later...

Going from this: Pre-fab from Home Depot and about $50-$60. 6 ft long by 2 ft deep.

To this: 10 ft long by 33" deep. Legs are 4" boiler tubes with angle iron for bracing. Top is 2 x 12 x 10 foot boards that were "tongue and grooved" and glued together. Bottom shelf is two pieces of OSB that are glued and screwed together. I still have to apply polyurethane to the top and then transfer the press. This thing is a beast.

Here is my bench that I built last week. My lighting sucked since I only had one incandescent light bulb in my work area. I took that light out and wired in two dual bulb T8 fluorescent lights. Added an extra outlet to the basement, and then wired my bench with two outlets which are run via extension cord. Gives me the ability to move the bench around (if I ever need to) without being tied to the wall, I'm happy with it so far. I'll bet that I'm going to wish that I built the bench even bigger but this works for now and I don't have a ton of space since I live in a townhouse.

The bench is 5 feet by 2 1/2 feet. 2x4 framework, 3/4 inch OSB shelf and the top is 3/4 inch plywood. The table is then braced with five 2x6's and seems really solid. I used the 2x4 basics kit thinking it would be easier and save time...really wasn't worth the money and ended up replacing all of the screws b/c they were too short and weak.

I didn't have any overhang in the top so the press wouldn't mount to the edge like I wanted. Decided to use another piece of 2x6 as a mounting plate. So the press mounts through 2 2x6s and the 3/4 plywood and doesn't flex at all!

Now for a few pics.

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well after about a month and a little frustration I have my room as ready as I think it will be...

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/xdfanphotos/Reloadingroom007.jpg

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/xdfanphotos/Reloadingroom001.jpg

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/xdfanphotos/Reloadingroom006.jpg

Give me some ideas if it looks like I need to add something. I know a press would be good. lol

I just ordered some case cleaning supplies today to get started.

Finally got the press :D Have to wait until I get some supplies to finish up.

And my son made me this stool top in woods class...

post-23880-048015700 1283461894_thumb.jp

post-23880-073064500 1283461929_thumb.jp