Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

After moving three times and building 3 reloading rooms this is my latest. It is a far cry from the bench I had in the bedroom to the full blown Man Cave I have now. The pictures don't really do it justice. For the first time I have a sink in my reloading room and that is truly a handy addition. I tried to steal as many ideas from this thread as I could. My wife ended up having one of the best ones of having the shelves with the laundry baskets on them under the loaders for brass and bullets. She also put the cool border around the ceiling. :wub:

What do ya'll think?

The sign on the front door

post-108-1247419057_thumb.jpg

The real reason for the room

post-108-1247419074_thumb.jpg post-108-1247419089_thumb.jpg

The place for the dremel work and clean up

post-108-1247419111_thumb.jpg

The place for my wife to hang out

post-108-1247419128_thumb.jpg

Just another angle

post-108-1247419139_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a nest freak but here's mine about a year ago. I've added a few things but you wouldn't notice it. I have another SD that replaces the Lee, small air compressor, and a cleaning bench off to the side.

CRBPic005.jpg

It's been about 4 years since I posted to this thread last. Figured that I'd post some "in-progress" images/comments on my attempts to merge Renee's loading stuff with my loading stuff... and make it all fit into a single room. NOT an easy challenge. :) Posting a 5 image "panorama" from the door of the room progressing around the room to the right.

LR1.jpg

1) Future location of utility bench/cabinets: Work top under which will be drawers on one side, and a slide out on the other for tool boxes et al. Wall will have peg board-like organization for certain tools/hardware bins, et al. Above that will be a set of shelves/cabinets up to the ceiling to hold reference material, etc. Additional lighting will be affixed to bottom of cabinet to light bench top.

LR2.jpg

2) Back wall: Contains my original NRMA bench with my 550 (load development) under cover, our MEC 9000H (12GA), and Renee's old 550 (probably will be dedicated to .223 at some point). Sorry for the mess... I was getting ready to load some shells for skeet/sporting practice.

LR3.jpg

3) Corner Shot: I built another modified NRMA plan bench to add to the original. This one is longer (8'). I added a fill in cabinet on the far end so the cabinets would look more seamless. I made all cabinets the same, deleting the drop down scale door/compartment, which makes the storage more flexible.

LR4.jpg

4) Long Bench: The long bench (walk up space is about the same as the old bench) has Renee's 650 (predominantly 38 Super), and my 1050 (40 S&W). I shortened the case feeder mount and case tube so the 650 would fit on the walk up height bench AND still allow you to put cases in the feeder with the 54" ceiling fan running (without pain). ;) Great thought was put into the placement of the reloading presses to maximize flexibility when needing to run two presses at once. It's close quarters, but you can run any two-press combination except the 550/650 adjacent to each other.

LR5.jpg

5) Safe to closet: There's the safe.... not nearly big enough. Looking at replacing that one with the largest one we can get into this room (approx. 30" x 30" x 68-72" max). The closet door will be replaced with a pocket door to maintain full access to the closet with a 30" safe. Additionally, I will be adding additional cabinets above both loading benches to the ceiling all the way around to 30" beyond the long bench (flush with new safe right side). The bare wall on the right with shotguns leaning on it will have a bin rack unit of some sort bolted to it from floor to ceiling to organize all the hardware, parts,et al. for easy access.

Both benches are wired with 110VDC bus bars. Probably the very next thing I will do is built a pull-out, L-R rotating shelf for the MEC 9000H's hydraulic pump, so that I can adjust it for seated shotgun reloading.... OR, engineer a remote foot pedal. Once the pump is in its final "home", I will replace most of the flex hyd hose, with hard piping to get back some addt'l storage room.

:D Thanks! Nope, those are the pull chains for the 4x150Watt compact fluorescent lights and the 4-blade 54" ceiling fan (no suspension rod, mounted directly to ceiling).

Compressed air IS coming though. I just brought my air compressor over a week or so ago.

I am in the process of installing a electric sub-panel near it that will have a 40AMP 220 supply. The 220 will pass through the box to a 40AMP 220VDC plug. The sub-panel will split the two legs into 2 each 40 AMP 110VDC supplies to 2 each twin 20AMP breakers. Each circuit will be wired to a single outlet of a 2-gang, duplex housing... (4 each, true 20AMP circuits... well, three actually). One of the 4 circuits will be robbed of a little juice to supply the overhead lighting for the garage ( 4 x 8' 2-bulb fluorescents, and 1 x 4' 4 bulb flourescent), front security light, and garage door opener)

Have to do all this extra electrical to get reliable power in garage... for the compressor, power tools, et al. The compressor has a simple air drying/regulation/drain system made from black pipe/regulator, and a drier unit. It's sufficiently dry air for most air powered tools, but I am adding a 2-stage desiccant system to provide air dry enough for paint guns et al....

Then I'll hard pipe from the garage, through the attic to the loading room to supply air as needed. Compressed air is a gift from God. ;)

Cautery,

Are those air compressor hoses hanging from the ceiling? Awesome!

LOL!!! Nah, they look similar to some I saw/used in the service, but not as nice. These are baseline commercial shop stools from Global... I bought them as a "temporary" fix for my shop space over in Texas, but they'll have to do fro a while longer. What I really want are the kind that have casters that you can disable by hitting a foot pedal ring inside the foot rest ring... (mucho dinero).

Clay,

Nice set up and write up. You covered most everything. All I can ask is...are those grey stools gov't issue? They look familiar.

Thanks a lot hitman!!! I had just gotten to the point that I could grit my teeth and not covet the better chairs.... ;)

Mine was worth every cent I paid for it.

Not sure I could go back to a non-wheeled or even a wheeled without quicklock.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great deal with a buddy of mine. I bought all of our reloading supplies and he did all of the reloading. It worked out fairly well until he gave up shooting. :(

He sold me the press last weekend and I built the workbench, worktable, hung lights, etc.. and setup the press. Now, I'm back in business :)

Garage.jpg

CRW_8006.jpg

The table is like batmobile, it has so many gadgets bolted into it. Rifle case trimmer, fire extinguisher, vacuum cleaner...and it will probably fall apart if I try to move it! A bit too heavy for the original $1 table. The legs are already crushed into the lowest drawers, I pretty much can't open them anymore. :P

Looks like it's time to look back in this thread and learn how to make a new bench. :lol:

A new home, and a new kingdom:

koppi2.jpg

I took off the crushed cabinets and installed legs to the table. Small and cozy. The mess from the table moved to shelves, tools jumped to the wall. Much easier to have both mess and one square foot of free working area at the same time!

We have to thank all the ideas and pictures we found on brian's forums for reloading workbenches, so we are posting the solution that we installed.

In our spare bedroom we used the closet so that we could close the doors and the workbench would be hidden. The room is used as a workout room and a tv room. Guest have no idea what is in the closet. When we move, we just remove the bench and the closet is back to normal.

We installed an unfinished kitchen cabinet and a 3 drawer unit with a counter top. All available from the local hardware store. We bolted it to the wall for stability.

then we installed a light under the upper shelf for more visibility.

the use of the original closet shelf plus the cabinet and the drawers provides lots of storage space.

Because we have two 550s we mounted the 550s to 3/4 inch plywood; drilled holes into the counter top and used t-bolts to hold the unit in place. this way we can also take the units on their plywood to the range to chrono the ammo as we reload.

The solution cost just under $300.

TnJ

post-16460-1250949932_thumb.jpg

post-16460-1250950063_thumb.jpg

post-16460-1250950079_thumb.jpg

post-16460-1250950095_thumb.jpg

Edited by TnJ

• 2 weeks later...
post-18427-1250287612_thumb.jpg

post-18427-1250287627_thumb.jpg

post-18427-1250287642_thumb.jpg

post-18427-1250287653_thumb.jpg

post-18427-1250287668_thumb.jpg

post-18427-1250287678_thumb.jpg

post-18427-1250287688_thumb.jpg

Yea, Nice setup, but what about the Harley that is missing it's saddle bags and what looks like a fender in the first picture> :surprise:

Dustdevil21,

LOL....while I own several motorcycles, those are parts I removed off of a Harley Trike I have built for my wife to ride on.

post-18427-1251746466_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...