Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I am REALLY luvin all these pristine, methodical, well-laid out benches. -It helps keep my dream alive to relocate one day to IPSC-friendlier shores ;)

Better come quick and help us fight the good fight to insure all these pristine benches stay intact.

Edited by eastcoastcal

This is mine :-)

Nice, I see the angle iron. Was this a kit or did you find the table and add the angle iron to come up with the height?

Thank you! I built it myself from scratch. It consists of 50x50mm iron section tubes, welded together in cubic shape. This forms the upper part. To facilitate adjustment of height, the four legs have a series of holes each. Depending on which set of holes is used, the bench can be set to a certain height, with a minimum increment of 15mm.

There is an additional tube in the top/middle to add stability to the wooden plate (27mm, spruce, 3-layer-plywood, clear varnish). Another plate was fitted in the bottom to put in things for storage. I added a metal drawer cabinet for tools, small accessory parts, etc.

The whole construction was finally zinc coated.

I don't know the total weight of the construction. However, I can't move it all alone. Initially I intended to bolt it to the wall and floor, but it seems to provide sufficient stability without that.

(Boy! This technical english is a real challenge :-) Any corrections welcome)

• 2 weeks later...
Ha ha, thanks. The only hard part was air brushing all the tourists out of the room.

After seeing Nolan and Jeepers' actual setups, posting my real reloading bench would have been like submitting pictures of a camper trailer to architectural digest. Maybe we need a separate thread for "worst setups" where the less fortunates like myself will feel more comfortable sharing their pics. My personal library/computer lab/office/trophy hall/storage/reloading/dark room is pretty good but I'm sure there are some really nice ones out there. Anyone loading on a fold up table? Walking into a non-walkin closet maybe? Does getting your bench ready involve first lowering a tail gate? Come on, I know you're out there.

I've got my 550 mounted to an oak coffee table top that I have tightened down inthe vise top of a Black & Decker Workmate 400. (Got it at a yard sale!) Easy to move over to my desk chair when re-loading.

This is mine :-)

Nice, I see the angle iron. Was this a kit or did you find the table and add the angle iron to come up with the height?

Thank you! I built it myself from scratch. It consists of 50x50mm iron section tubes, welded together in cubic shape. This forms the upper part. To facilitate adjustment of height, the four legs have a series of holes each. Depending on which set of holes is used, the bench can be set to a certain height, with a minimum increment of 15mm.

There is an additional tube in the top/middle to add stability to the wooden plate (27mm, spruce, 3-layer-plywood, clear varnish). Another plate was fitted in the bottom to put in things for storage. I added a metal drawer cabinet for tools, small accessory parts, etc.

The whole construction was finally zinc coated.

I don't know the total weight of the construction. However, I can't move it all alone. Initially I intended to bolt it to the wall and floor, but it seems to provide sufficient stability without that.

(Boy! This technical english is a real challenge :-) Any corrections welcome)

OK, I detect an engineering or metal fabricator type. You obviously have a lot of experience in that arena.

I changed up my reloading room so I thought I would add some new pics to this thread. I built a pair of walls and extended the area back a bit and bought a new bench system. I've also added a 550 to the mix as well.

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

DSCN1523.jpg

THE FAMILY:

DSCN1528.jpg

Gun Cleaning Area:

DSCN1530.jpg

Enjoy,

Pete

Very nice reloading rooms, I'm always trolling for new ideas!

Not completed yet, need to finish the walls (ceramic tile). Combination reloading/gun cleaning/and man cave. Like things neat and organized, plenty of storage allows bench to be cleared off when not in use. Benches and roll cabinets were from Sams Club....two additional large roll cabs not pictured. Loaders are quick detach that are stored away. Quick detach mounts were made with rails of 80/20 recessed into the bench top. Mounting plates are high density plastic. Very solid bench yet entire room contents can be moved or rearranged, nothing permanently attached except gun rack and upper cabinets. Also features central vacuum, compressed air, cable TV/DVD/Radio, computer.

rifle-pistolreloading2.jpg

Wwwwwhat! I'm crying here! :roflol:

Going for the messiest title:

Start:

desk.jpg

Reality:

CRW_8006.jpg

The table is like batmobile, it has so many gadgets bolted into it. Rifle case trimmer, fire extinguisher, vacuum cleaner...and it will probably fall apart if I try to move it! A bit too heavy for the original $1 table. The legs are already crushed into the lowest drawers, I pretty much can't open them anymore. :P

Edited by askomiko

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your ideas, pictures and thoughts. Here is what I came up with:

All steel design for sturdyness, durability and table can be drilled and tapped for presses and such.

Legs and framed peg board can be removed to reduce weight and to get through stairwells and doorways.

43" table height is perfect for my 6"1' frame to comfortably work standing up or sitting at a high bar stool without bending over.

I also added lots of lighting so my old eyeballs can see whats going on.

The legs have adjustable levelers to keep all things round from rolling around!

Special thanks to Gene for the top notch welding!

post-18714-1246336179_thumb.jpg

The house we bought last year had a shop in back. About 1/4 of it was finished, insulated and had an AC. I claimed it as my Reloading/Gunsmithing room.

First I installed a bench and some countertops:

1224.JPG

1252.JPG

Then, I added some shelving and a peg board:

002113.JPG

Finally, I added some more cabinets and shelving, another press or 2, and some under cabinet lighting:

00570.JPG

002106.JPG

Hey yall, Im new here but thought I would post a pic of my new set up.

Dillon 650

100_1968.jpg

Is that the Husky Steel Workbench from Home Depot? Is it sturdy? Do you have it bolted to the wall or is it freestanding. I want to start reloading and need a sturdy bench. Thanks.

The house we bought last year had a shop in back. About 1/4 of it was finished, insulated and had an AC. I claimed it as my Reloading/Gunsmithing room.

First I installed a bench and some countertops:

1224.JPG

1252.JPG

Then, I added some shelving and a peg board:

002113.JPG

Finally, I added some more cabinets and shelving, another press or 2, and some under cabinet lighting:

00570.JPG

002106.JPG

Very nice! And the wooden bench looks like a very sturdy construction

Here is my humble setup. I've been using the Square Deal since day 1 with no real plans to upgrade (eagerly waiting for a casefeeder). I've simplified my life by shooting nothing but 40 cal until recently when I've been dabbling with 9mm. I did make the empty brass bin bracket which aids in that economy-of-motion thing. I recently bolted the bench to the concrete wall and added an Akro-bin hanger and some new bins today. I may have posted this before, but here it is today.

BenchR2009.jpg

BenchL2009.jpg

Edited by splashdown