Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does your club report DQ's to your states police?

I really just wanted to know if anyone else has ever heard of anything like this. I'm still in shock that they even though of this 

In the case that the club provided the information and someone was stripped of their 2A rights, I could see the lawsuits coming all the way down to the USPSA club level.  The state, the club, the USPSA club .....

whaaaaaat, that is friggin ridiculous.  certainly some if not most, of the dq-able events in uspsa (180, handling ammo at the safe table, removing holster with gun in it not at a safe table, handling your gun outside a safe area, etc) have no bearing on actually being safe outside of a match.

on a more practical matter, are the cops really going to keep a list somewhere of all this?  public or private, where is it posted or saved, who is responsible for updating and checking accuracy?  does this list include issues outside of competitive shooting - guy puts one thru the floorboard or a wall in his house, etc?

perhaps this is just an April 1 thing a few days early...

On 3/27/2024 at 2:13 PM, Racinready300ex said:

Our club skeet is kind of dying off anyway. It's mostly trap, and 5 stand, soon to be a full sporting clays range. Pistol guys get one 25 yard deep pit maybe 15 yards wide. That's it for a 750 member club. 

I am fortunate to live near WPAFB, and the club there has done a great job of supporting trap and skeet.  Six of the seven active ranges are configured to shoot either, and for registered shoots they leave one practice range for the other discipline for that weekend (with only a few exceptions).  But it is (now, since after 9/11) just a shotgun club.

WPAFB R-G.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 10:20 AM, Racinready300ex said:

He's in NJ...and really anywhere in the North East I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. Even gun people are anti 2A here.

Example, I know a local training company that makes most of it's money on state mandated CCW training. They typically do 25-50 students a week at 300+ each.

I've heard the owner say he's talked to his contacts at the state police (he's retired trooper) about increasing the qualifications required to become a instructor. Why? The two other local trainers just meet that minimum and this would put them out of business. This would likely put lots of trainers across the state out of business reducing the supply of the mandated CCW classes and likely lead to a sharp increase in the cost of classes from who ever remains. Supply and demand after all. 

In the NE this is the thinking of Pro 2A people, imagine what the other side thinks. 

Retired trooper is part of the problem,

I live in the NE and travel in very big circles shooting IDPA, USPSA and Steel Challenge

since 1993. This includes many matches out of state.

I have never heard of or talked to anyone that is like the people you describe!

Do we have anti gun people, absolutely but they are not included with the people I have shot with.

Period!

On 3/28/2024 at 12:40 PM, davsco said:

whaaaaaat, that is friggin ridiculous.  certainly some if not most, of the dq-able events in uspsa (180, handling ammo at the safe table, removing holster with gun in it not at a safe table, handling your gun outside a safe area, etc) have no bearing on actually being safe outside of a match.

on a more practical matter, are the cops really going to keep a list somewhere of all this?  public or private, where is it posted or saved, who is responsible for updating and checking accuracy?  does this list include issues outside of competitive shooting - guy puts one thru the floorboard or a wall in his house, etc?

perhaps this is just an April 1 thing a few days early...

that was my thoughts as well. COps dont even do anything about actual crimes when you call. Somehow I dont see this being recorded anywhere, past whoever answers the phone saying ,,"thanks"

2 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Retired trooper is part of the problem,

I live in the NE and travel in very big circles shooting IDPA, USPSA and Steel Challenge

since 1993. This includes many matches out of state.

I have never heard of or talked to anyone that is like the people you describe!

Do we have anti gun people, absolutely but they are not included with the people I have shot with.

Period!

The training company I mentioned reported local ranges to zoning when they were building a new berm to try to get them shut down. Why? Because they didn't let them do classes on that range. I just found this out over the weekend. They consider themselves to be the biggest and the best in the area and they will do anything to hold onto that. I imagine I'm on their hit list now too, as I worked with them some then told them I was going to do my own thing. 

9 hours ago, Joe4d said:

that was my thoughts as well. COps dont even do anything about actual crimes when you call. Somehow I dont see this being recorded anywhere, past whoever answers the phone saying ,,"thanks"

You're right.  We don't do anything but get a paycheck.

It's not .gov's business if someone DQ's.   Those clubs who are sharing this info should be boycotted.   

I still have a hard time believing this is actually true. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 8:07 PM, RangerTrace said:

You're right.  We don't do anything but get a paycheck.

My apologies that you had to read that. Thank you for your service. 

I don't find this hard to believe considering the part of the country it's at. The thing is, nobody in that club (or the entire USPSA organization for that matter) are under any obligation to release any information about the shooters at their matches without a warrant. If they do so, it is either because they were bullied into it, a tactic not uncommon in law enforcement, or they just don't care about the privacy of their shooters. If law enforcement did go to the trouble of getting a warrant it would most likely be for a single individual and they would have to show probable cause to get that warrant.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night either, but I WAS a cop for 23 years.😉

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This sounds hella made up, you can get DQ'd for MANY things that aren't necessarily anything to do with safe firearm ownership and more to do with sport technicalities.

We had to DQ a new shooter that other day cause he unzipped his bag while the RO was chatting with me (keeping score) and he just stood in the box and didn't understand the commands. He didn't touch the firearm or anything, but he def didn't understand that he had to wait for someone to say "Make Ready" as all the people before him were very experienced and knew the RO who would casually say "k, hey *so-and-so*, Make Ready" quietly.

CLEARLY HE'S UNSAFE AND SHOULDN'T OWN FIREARMS /s

• 1 month later...