Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does your club report DQ's to your states police?

I'm just finding out about this and I'm having a hard time believing it. 

One of my local clubs (I'm a member at almost all of them) asked the uspsa match director for a list of everyone that has been DQed from every match. He asked them what they wanted that for because he would have had to figure it all out. They replied that they would give the list to the state police so if anyone ever had to use a firearm for non sporting reasons they would be labeled unsafe to use/own firearms. 

When I first hard of this I didn't believe it but was told that another club in PA was doing the same thing. Then proceeds to tell me of a story of a guy that got into a lot of legal trouble because of it. I don't think I should post those details here. 

I've had clubs mention they keep track if you send one over the berm. Then if anyone comes asking about a round at a certain time they can point them at you. PS pretty much logs this anyway. 

If what you're saying is true, I'd say who ever asked doesn't want uspsa at your club. Might just be a scare tactic. Your club have a lot of skeet and trap shooters?

38 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I’m not directing this at you but this sounds made up.

Normally I'd agree with you but the MD quit because of it. 

14 minutes ago, louu said:

Normally I'd agree with you but the MD quit because of it. 

Wait...what? 

While not really  rules thing, DQ info would have no impact on purchasing a firearm in Texas, anyway. Thats not an NCIS item in any way. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

If what you're saying is true, I'd say who ever asked doesn't want uspsa at your club. Might just be a scare tactic. Your club have a lot of skeet and trap shooters?

I would have the same speculation... 

I like trap and skeet, do it almost weekly in the summer, but the membership sure varies. 

8 minutes ago, mmc45414 said:

I would have the same speculation... 

I like trap and skeet, do it almost weekly in the summer, but the membership sure varies. 

I like skeet and trap too, but some of the older gentlemen at our club do not like pistol guys at all. 

8 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I like skeet and trap too, but some of the older gentlemen at our club do not like pistol guys at all. 

Hell, in a lotta cases the Trap guys don't like the Skeet guys and the Skeet guys don't like the Trap guys.

31 minutes ago, mmc45414 said:

Hell, in a lotta cases the Trap guys don't like the Skeet guys and the Skeet guys don't like the Trap guys.

Our club skeet is kind of dying off anyway. It's mostly trap, and 5 stand, soon to be a full sporting clays range. Pistol guys get one 25 yard deep pit maybe 15 yards wide. That's it for a 750 member club. 

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I've had clubs mention they keep track if you send one over the berm. Then if anyone comes asking about a round at a certain time they can point them at you. ...

Our club (northern Europe) will report it to the police if a round goes over the berm. I haven't heard of it happening, though. There's busy roads and some residential areas within reach. Our IPSC match WSBs state that pointing over the berm with finger on the trigger is a DQ (which IPSC rules allow).

3 minutes ago, perttime said:

Our club (northern Europe) will report it to the police if a round goes over the berm. I haven't heard of it happening, though. There's busy roads and some residential areas within reach. Our IPSC match WSBs state that pointing over the berm with finger on the trigger is a DQ (which IPSC rules allow).

A few IDPA clubs will DQ for that, as their rules allow it. USPSA rules don't allow for that as far as I know. 

I probably wouldn't report a round over the berm unless the law requires it. Solid chance in most places you'll find ranges in this country it doesn't damage anything when it comes down. But, it is your round and you're responsible for what ever it does hit. 

I've seen a few go over since I started doing this. 

19 hours ago, louu said:

I'm just finding out about this and I'm having a hard time believing it. 

One of my local clubs (I'm a member at almost all of them) asked the uspsa match director for a list of everyone that has been DQed from every match. He asked them what they wanted that for because he would have had to figure it all out. They replied that they would give the list to the state police so if anyone ever had to use a firearm for non sporting reasons they would be labeled unsafe to use/own firearms. 

When I first hard of this I didn't believe it but was told that another club in PA was doing the same thing. Then proceeds to tell me of a story of a guy that got into a lot of legal trouble because of it. I don't think I should post those details here. 

One has nothing to do with the other.  If it's true, it's ridiculous.

I would say this sounds a bit too far fetched, but in this day and age, it might be a possibility. I’m a MD that runs a monthly local. Were someone to make this request of me, without insulting their intelligence, cursing at them, and mocking their pedigree information, the polite answer would be no. They would not get the polite answer!

Best thing to do is follow the lead of our BoD. Explain that info is the intellectual property of USPSA and is not to be made public! Tell them to contact the board and await an answer. Problem solved!

Seems like a really easy argument to make in court-- "so Mr Police Training Officer, how many of your cadets have rule violations during training and qualifications?"  "and you still let them carry guns on the street?" 

Sounds more like some do-gooder at the club has a thing against 'unsafe' USPSA shooters and thinks throwing them under the bus will help, but the whole point of the rules is to try and stop things from getting truly unsafe well before they do.

Some dude is a serial DQ-er, sure tell them they can't come back to the range if that makes them feel better, but reporting ???

He's in NJ...and really anywhere in the North East I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. Even gun people are anti 2A here.

Example, I know a local training company that makes most of it's money on state mandated CCW training. They typically do 25-50 students a week at 300+ each.

I've heard the owner say he's talked to his contacts at the state police (he's retired trooper) about increasing the qualifications required to become a instructor. Why? The two other local trainers just meet that minimum and this would put them out of business. This would likely put lots of trainers across the state out of business reducing the supply of the mandated CCW classes and likely lead to a sharp increase in the cost of classes from who ever remains. Supply and demand after all. 

In the NE this is the thinking of Pro 2A people, imagine what the other side thinks. 

I'm wating to talk to the MD directly and I'll post what he said if it's okay with him. 

I got this info from a close friend that the MD told.