Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato versus prodigy

Climbhard

Is the Staccato worth the premium over a Prodigy. The only thing that matters to me is out of the box reliability and accuracy. I’ll make everything else, trigger, grip, overall weight  the way I want.  Just can’t see how the Staccato is worth an extra grand. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A local shooter on the front range here has purchased a Prodigy, put EGW guts in it and couldn't be happier.  He says it runs 100%.  Message me if you are interested to find out who this is if you feel the need to ask him questions.  He is not on this forum to my knowledge.  

He is currently using it in LO, and 2 Gun matches.

Edited by Boomstick303

I have a prodigy four and a quarter, stock other than a trigger job on factory components and other than one malfunction after I change the guts in a mag it has worked 100% over about 1800 rounds. I don't blame the one malfunction on the gun, I just had to do a little tuning on the follower and it's been fine ever since. All the rest of my mags are factory prodigy mags. 17, 20, and 26 rounders have all worked fine.

The gun seems plenty accurate, enough so I can't blame any of my misses on it LOL

So basically reliability's been 100%  and accuracy has been fine. For me it's not worth the extra money for a stacatto, as The prodigy has done everything that I've needed.

I might buy a 5-in if I was doing it again though but, I don't know

I have a 4.25 Prodigy.  It works great.   You can upgrade alot for the $1k difference of a Staccato.    I would buy Master Piece Arms over Staccato if I was not wanting to upgrade and do work on the Prodigy. At the end of the day they are all great  guns 

Having owned a Staccato and rented a Prodigy (so fully admit I don't have that time or rounds thru it to be entirely fair to it) my answer is the DWX hands down better than both of them...but that's just because I love the CZ 75 grip, and adding a 1911 trigger to it makes it incredibly easy to shoot.

Now if your want a dot, then that might change the math, no idea how CZ/DW released the DWX without adding an optic plate, they had 4 years to see where things are going. 

If you forced me to make a choice between the two listed, I'd go Prodigy, but that's just me.

I shot a friends Staccato and loved it.  It was had a smooth trigger and recoil was great.  Will I buy one, no.  The price is outside my budget.  I purchased a 4.25 Prodigy and love it.  I believe I can get it to same performance as my friends Staccato and save money for mags and ammo.  

Out of the box the Stacatto is going to be better (which it ought to be, given the cost delta), If you like tinkering and sourcing parts, you can put a Prodigy setup together for less $.

I don't think the current product Stacato  pushes out the door are worth the price. I was saving for a Stacato, but I help a friend out part time in his gun store and he got a 4.25 prodigy in, so I got it at cost. I've shot a friends older Stacato and loved it, but another friend got one 4 months ago, and to be honest it is not fit as well, has a trigger no where near as good as the my stock prodigy. I'm no saying the prodigy dose not have room or need to improve, cause it dose. We've had three more Stacato P's come through the shop for transfer and all of them have the same amount of disco drag the gun tuber experts are in a rage about with the prodigy. That said, my prodigy has been 100% so far after around 1200 rounds. The thumb safety is not fit well, notchy feel, the tigger shoe is a bit sloppy, but the frame to slide fit is great.  Just put in a new sear, disco and hammer, and tweaked the leaf spring, big improvement,nice crisp brake, was a bit mushy, hope to test fire sometime today.

13 minutes ago, glock24 said:

So what's the consensus on the Prodigy's original issues?  Magazine related?

I can only speak for me, but I have had no issues. And we used my prodigy mags in a staccato and in a custom gun and they worked fine in both of those. The guy with the custom guy went bought him a prodigy mag specifically for his drop mag so he wasn't dropping his high dollar mags in a match. In other words I think they're fine

everyone who starts on this road eventually gets a custom 2011. you can tinker and spend a lot of hours and a lot of dollars putting lipstick on a pig or you can just spend four or $5000 on a proper gun that runs. Or you can do both like most noobs do.🍺🍺😇

5 hours ago, glock24 said:

I think some of the early ones had tight chambers which lead to feeding issues.  I ran a finish reamer through mine and was surprised how much material it removed.  But that was probably from the first batch they shipped out.  Pretty sure the later ones don't have that problem.  Also, even with the tight chamber, mine ran 100% out of the box with everything I fed it.

Edited by ltdmstr

19 hours ago, glock24 said:

I think it's more complicated than just the magazines. I have both the 4.25 and 5 inchers and neither worked out of the box, the 4.25 worked with STI mags but the 5 didn't. After a while the 4.25 started working with the factory mags.

The 4.25 had a decent trigger so I didn't mess with it except to fix the thumb safety, it actually shoots pretty nice and pretty accurate. The 5 on the other hand was a basket case, I ended up replacing the internals, thumb safety, reaming the chamber and cleaning the frame/rails. Although it functions now it just doesn't feel right, like slide heavy and slow.

But back to the magazines, I think a lot of the original problems was the Cerakote slowing the slide down and causing feeding issues. I say that because although the 4.25 worked after a short time the 5 didn't even after I changed everything, and only started working after I worked the Cerakote off the frame/rails. 

But to the Prodigy/Staccato question, I guess I could answer it this way, I have seven Staccato's and two Prodigy's and now that I have them both working they stay home.

Oh and another thing, I hate Cerakote and love DLC.

7 hours ago, shred said:

The 5" Prodigy had some issues at launch too IIRC.  They lightened the slide internally quite a bit on succeeding production runs.

When did it go into effect and how do you make old from new?

On 8/6/2023 at 5:23 PM, motosapiens said:

everyone who starts on this road eventually gets a custom 2011. you can tinker and spend a lot of hours and a lot of dollars putting lipstick on a pig or you can just spend four or $5000 on a proper gun that runs. Or you can do both like most noobs do.🍺🍺😇

This. Been there.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:23 PM, motosapiens said:

I've went up and down the cost/custom scale and back to Staccato because they are affordable compared to an Atlas and the Atlas doesn't make me 2.5 times better as the cost might imply.  In 2008 I shot my first couple matches with a Wilson Combat .38 super single stack.  Next stop was a 2011 built by Virgil Tripp.  The addiction took off from there.

11 hours ago, YVK said:

When did it go into effect and how do you make old from new?

Current lightened slide on the right. I bought mine back in May SN 38XXX and it’s the lightened version.

IMG_0808.thumb.webp.aacaecc9cb56f856036adea28a247ac0.webp

Great, somebody went back to 1950 and lightened a 9mm slide without all the external flutes and portholes of the current styling fad.  I wish other companies would do the same.

A friend put one of those Nighthawk package lockwork kits in his Prodigy and is quite pleased with it.

Edited by Jim Watson