Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato versus prodigy

Climbhard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Great, somebody went back to 1950 and lightened a 9mm slide without all the external flutes and portholes of the current styling fad.  I wish other companies would do the same.

A friend put one of those Nighthawk package lockwork kits in his Prodigy and is quite pleased with it.

This is how SV lightens their slides.

14 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

This is how SV lightens their slides.

Great, I cherish a picture of an SVI in plain flat and square blue without superfluous cuts.

But looking on their website, such plain guns are a small minority among the outright gaudy stuff that people buy.  

56 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Great, I cherish a picture of an SVI in plain flat and square blue without superfluous cuts.

But looking on their website, such plain guns are a small minority among the outright gaudy stuff that people buy.  

This is about as plain as you can get.  It's probably 5-6 yrs old and 100k rounds so far.  Just put a new top end on it and had it refinished in DLC.

IMG_4064.jpeg

I have both Staccato and 4.25 Prodigy (in addition to some Limcats) and have to say the Prodigy is IMO a better buy at being $1k less. Out of the box, it was very accurate and reliable (save for the mags - I would swap out the mags. I had trouble with 1 mag but the other was fine, but it's run like a champ with my other mags (mix of MBX and STI))

I also bought my Prodigy as a project gun (same as you're thinking OP) - after about 1k rounds to make sure it functions, with the $1k savings I replaced the internal parts, swapped out to MPA grip, and had Monsoon Tactical do a Genghis comp and black MC finish on it, and it is sweettttt.

With the work done, it does comes about same price as stock Staccato but it's been upgraded to how I wanted it.

I agree that a custom gun isn't that big of a performance advantage over a good factory gun like a staccato as long as they all run reliably.

That being said, I also can't seem to get away from the emotional appeal of a custom gun. I've been spending a lot of time daydreaming about my perfect LO build while waiting for my turn at Venom Custom with Don... All that I've decided for certain right now is that it will be a 5" non-railed traditional two-tone (silver grip/frame, black slide) 2011 with some sort of stirrup cut

Edited by whan

I think if I was starting from zero today I would buy a 5 inch prodigy, leave the plastic grip on (it I like it), put a brass magwell of some sort on it (hopefully somebody makes these soon), tlr1 and done. I think the weight and balance would be about perfect 

Had a chance yesterday to compare the DWX to a 4.25 prodigy and Staccato C2.

DWX > Prodigy > C2

prodigy grip felt much better than the C2, the trigger was quite a bit heavier but reset felt very good. I almost bought it. Not sure there’s a reason to buy the 5” shooting LO. The prodigy would mostly be a carry gun that doubles as a backup to my DWX. Some places around here are charging stupid prices for the prodigy- $1500-1600.

Edited by ColoradoNick

7 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Had a chance yesterday to compare the DWX to a 4.25 prodigy and Staccato C2.

DWX > Prodigy > C2

prodigy grip felt much better than the C2, the trigger was quite a bit heavier but reset felt very good. I almost bought it. Not sure there’s a reason to buy the 5” shooting LO. The prodigy would mostly be a carry gun that doubles as a backup to my DWX. Some places around here are charging stupid prices for the prodigy- $1500-1600.

Keep in mind the C2 is a lightweight, aluminum framed carry gun.

5 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Keep in mind the C2 is a lightweight, aluminum framed carry gun.

yea I was trying to compare apples to apples for my intended use which would primarily be a concealed carry gun as well as a backup to my DWX in LO. The P just seems too big for that. Honestly I wish they made the C2 in steel. I didn't fire either one (this time) so it was more a comparison of size, trigger, and how it felt in hand. I've fired both in the past and the staccato is definitely nicer but that's a cheap fix on the prodigy. 

On 8/9/2023 at 7:19 PM, whan said:

I agree that a custom gun isn't that big of a performance advantage over a good factory gun like a staccato as long as they all run reliably.

That being said, I also can't seem to get away from the emotional appeal of a custom gun. I've been spending a lot of time daydreaming about my perfect LO build while waiting for my turn at Venom Custom with Don... All that I've decided for certain right now is that it will be a 5" non-railed traditional two-tone (silver grip/frame, black slide) 2011 with some sort of stirrup cut

This is exactly what I'm dealing with. My head knows a DWX will suit my needs, but my heart yearns for a DS9 Hybrid

On 8/9/2023 at 6:19 PM, whan said:

Maybe not for the casual user.  But a production gun with MIM and cast parts is never going to hold up as long as a custom gun with all high quality parts machined from bar stock with proper metallurgy, heat treat, etc. and fit properly.  Like most everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I have an early release 5” prodigy. At purchase, it had a phenomenal trigger but had the chronic feeding issues everyone seemed to be experiencing. I also noticed that my slide was hanging up on the disconnector. Original advice was magazine related so I sent my magazines in and they were replaced. Got the new ones and had same issue so sent gun back for warranty service. 2 weeks later it was returned and ran very reliably. However, my trigger felt nothing like what it previously had, and the disconnector issue was still present. The slide also always felt lethargic with the factory recoil spring. Several people commented on feeling the slide creep forward during recoil and it felt like it was killing splits.

I purchased an EGW lightened hammer ignition kit with a titanium hammer strut, 11lb recoil spring, red dirt ST prodigy trigger and installed them myself, as my first foray into 2011 modification. There was a little bit of a learning curve on a few things but nothing I couldn’t figure out. I purchased a wheeler trigger scale prior to installing, the post-warranty trigger was breaking at around 6.75-7lbs. Unacceptable in a 2011 trigger. Post-installation of all of the above items, trigger is breaking at 2-2.25lbs and has significantly less pre and post travel. Total cost of the components was $215 and the gun feels arguably the same if not better than my best friends XC. It also feels better than the Dan Wesson Elite Havok I just sold. At a purchase price if $1165, I’m sitting at $1380 on a gun that I think offers the same return as the staccato offerings with plenty of room for magazines, ammo and holsters without touching the price of a factory staccato. 

14 hours ago, Kevrend said:

I have an early release 5” prodigy. At purchase, it had a phenomenal trigger but had the chronic feeding issues everyone seemed to be experiencing. I also noticed that my slide was hanging up on the disconnector. Original advice was magazine related so I sent my magazines in and they were replaced. Got the new ones and had same issue so sent gun back for warranty service. 2 weeks later it was returned and ran very reliably. However, my trigger felt nothing like what it previously had, and the disconnector issue was still present. The slide also always felt lethargic with the factory recoil spring. Several people commented on feeling the slide creep forward during recoil and it felt like it was killing splits.

I purchased an EGW lightened hammer ignition kit with a titanium hammer strut, 11lb recoil spring, red dirt ST prodigy trigger and installed them myself, as my first foray into 2011 modification. There was a little bit of a learning curve on a few things but nothing I couldn’t figure out. I purchased a wheeler trigger scale prior to installing, the post-warranty trigger was breaking at around 6.75-7lbs. Unacceptable in a 2011 trigger. Post-installation of all of the above items, trigger is breaking at 2-2.25lbs and has significantly less pre and post travel. Total cost of the components was $215 and the gun feels arguably the same if not better than my best friends XC. It also feels better than the Dan Wesson Elite Havok I just sold. At a purchase price if $1165, I’m sitting at $1380 on a gun that I think offers the same return as the staccato offerings with plenty of room for magazines, ammo and holsters without touching the price of a factory staccato. 

What does a titanium hammer strut provide?

1 hour ago, tt350z said:

Lighter than steel so faster lock time

Seriously?  It's a marketing gimmick.  And it adds flex where you don't want it.  Standard steel strut, like factory Colt part, is a better choice.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Seriously?  It's a marketing gimmick.  And it adds flex where you don't want it.  Standard steel strut, like factory Colt part, is a better choice.

That’s like saying titanium engine valves is a waste of money and steel valves are better for the above reasons.

Don’t like it or agree with the marketing. Don’t buy it.