Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Elections

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

No one really knows, Yee-min won the election but that doesn't mean he'll be president. As of right now he's not even eligible to be president. 

If the BOD doesn't give him back his RO certification he can't take office. So if that happen he'll likely resign from the position on day 1. Then, does Ted stay president? Or does the current VP/A2D Leighton become president and then the BOD will appoint a new VP. I'd assume VP becomes president, then special election for new A2D? Plus another election for president maybe?

How much do the elections cost us? 

That was my suspicion of why they let him run again… it’s a vote for status quo because they’ll just rinse and repeat. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

you have to remember, the board gave all the power to the board.  the prez is nothing but a bit player.  

This is true, the prez isn't nearly what it used to be. It'll certainly be interesting to see how the next couple months play out. I'd assume the next meeting they'll decide on YML's RO creds. 

Simplest description ...

Earlier this year YML was working a major match and engaged in what, to use a military term, was conduct unbecoming.  A complaint was filed and investigated.  Several meetings were held by the board and YML.  The end result was YML lost his RO status and, as such, was no longer eligible to be President.  Officially, he resigned.  A subsequent election has been held and he has won reelection.  However, per the current bylaws he must be a certified RO before he can again assume office.  There are several NROI RO classes between now and the end of December whereby he can, in theory, accomplish this.

With all of the special elections over the past 3 years, I’ve lost track of all the current terms and what positions are up next.  I’ve scoured the USPSA website and am unable to find the current AD terms and when they are up for reelection.  Does anyone have a pointer are can you refresh me?

35 minutes ago, Unibrain said:

With all of the special elections over the past 3 years, I’ve lost track of all the current terms and what positions are up next.  I’ve scoured the USPSA website and am unable to find the current AD terms and when they are up for reelection.  Does anyone have a pointer are can you refresh me?

Go to this page on the USPSA website and scroll to the bottom:

Contact Us - USPSA.ORG

It lists all the positions and the next election for each one.

Edited by Schutzenmeister
typo

What's sad is the low vote count.  Seems to me most shooters couldn't care less who runs the USPSA

YML with 2762 votes and Luigi with 2650.  Only 5442 votes out of 26,007 eligible voters.

A6 Director was close too

Ben Berry with 668 and Kyle Stephens with 609

5 hours ago, stick said:

What's sad is the low vote count.  Seems to me most shooters couldn't care less who runs the USPSA

The President has zero power to do anything.  The board has full control.  And given the election cycle for ADs, it's multiple years to make any meaningful change there.  Most members that might otherwise vote realise this, so they don't bother.

Quoted from the USPS(A?) email

Results are in for the Presidential and Area 6 Elections

The results are in for the Presidential and Area 6 Elections.
Congratulations to Yee-min Lin for winning the Presidential election and Ben Berry for winning the Area 6 Director election.

The start date for each will be January 1,  2024 unless the Board of Directors decides otherwise.

Nolan

53 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Quoted from the USPS(A?) email

Results are in for the Presidential and Area 6 Elections

The results are in for the Presidential and Area 6 Elections.
Congratulations to Yee-min Lin for winning the Presidential election and Ben Berry for winning the Area 6 Director election.

The start date for each will be January 1,  2024 unless the Board of Directors decides otherwise.

Nolan

What's your point?  Unless I'm mistaken the board has always had this authority.

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

What's your point?  Unless I'm mistaken the board has always had this authority.

The Board has always had the authority to NOT seat a DULY elected candidate???

Somehow that doesn't seem right.

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

the board has always had this authority

Bylaws are pretty clear. Terms start January 1st for regular elections. Article 6.1.iii for President and 6.2.iii for Area Directors.

For special elections (electing someone to fill a prematurely vacated seat), the Board votes on when the winner will start (6.6, last paragraph). But for regular elections there's no such language.

I'm not an expert here, but I would think the following from the Bylaws 6.5 covers the situation, and has been there for a very long time:

In the event of any unanticipated election issue not covered by the bylaws, the USPSA Board shall determine the appropriate solution via a special board meeting. Individuals who are up for re-election shall abstain from any election-related vote at such a special meeting.

I suspect the situation with YML could very easily fall under this provision.

• 1 month later...

Well ... The BoD has come up with an unusual solution: 

- YML will be reinstated as an RO effective 31 Dec.

- Then in, separate vote, they decided (apparently for legal/liability reasons) he's reinstated BUT cannot work as an RO in any capacity while he is the President. 

Not personally commenting ... Just reporting what the November 27 board meeting minutes said ... Assuming I understood them correctly. 

Apparently YML will take office on 1 January. 

40 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Well ... The BoD has come up with an unusual solution: 

- YML will be reinstated as an RO effective 31 Dec.

- Then in, separate vote, they decided (apparently for legal/liability reasons) he's reinstated BUT cannot work as an RO in any capacity while he is the President. 

Not personally commenting ... Just reporting what the November 27 board meeting minutes said ... Assuming I understood them correctly. 

Apparently YML will take office on 1 January. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣