Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a IDPA Carry Optics Gun

MisfitGeek

Hi All, 

I'm hoping some of you can share some experience based opinions. I'm an experienced shooter but an IDPA novice.

I'm in the process of building a CZ SP-01 for Carry optics but lead times for the work put completion well into the fall. 

I'm considering a Sig Sauer P226 SAO Legion RDS for this summer. 

I know the general complaint about the P226 is that is has greater bore axis than other choices (like the CZ), but does that really mater in Carry Optics?

The Sig P320 seems to be the most popular CO choice in my area right now and the bore access of the 320 seems to be about the same as the 226.

The single action only trigger (with a little polishing) is near perfect and I like the Romeo Pro Optics.

So, popularity aside, can you share your thoughts, pro and con, on using the Sig Sauer P226 SAO Legion RDS for Carry Optics ?

Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, MisfitGeek said:

Hi All, 

I'm hoping some of you can share some experience based opinions. I'm an experienced shooter but an IDPA novice.

I'm in the process of building a CZ SP-01 for Carry optics but lead times for the work put completion well into the fall. 

I know the general complaint about the P226 is that is has greater bore axis than other choices (like the CZ), but does that really mater in Carry Optics?

The Sig P320 seems to be the most popular CO choice in my area right now and the bore access of the 320 seems to be about the same as the 226.

The single action only trigger (with a little polishing) is near perfect and I like the Romeo Pro Optics.

So, popularity aside, can you share your thoughts, pro and con, on using the Sig Sauer P226 SAO Legion RDS for Carry Optics ?

Thanks in advance.

Shoot what ever gun you shoot well. I carry a 365XL and M&P so I switch between those guns.

Edited by dtuns

The bore axis for the P320 and P226 is about the same and it actually does a nice job of putting the optic in the right spot for me.  The gun you like will be perfectly legal for IDPA.  The safety levers on those guns have kept me from ever buying one.......

I prefer the CZ SP-01 Shadow.  If you are in a hurry for one set up for Carry Optics, check with CZ Custom in Mesa, AZ.  I am pretty certain they wouldn't have a wait time as you described.

21 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Are there getting to be a lot of low light matches?

Everybody has a spotlight.

For me it's more to do with holster selection. One holster allows me to use every pistol I compete with. Also doesn't hurt it adds a few ounces to the pistol.

22 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Are there getting to be a lot of low light matches?

Everybody has a spotlight.

Around here there are a couple majors every year that will have low light. That's enough reason for me to put a WML on my gun and run it in USPSA and IDPA so I'm always running the same setup. 

Interesting.  

A nearby club is running evening matches during DST, I hope to check it out.

But I suspect most of them are for either kewl factor or just ballast.

Edited by Jim Watson

• 4 weeks later...

You either wait for your CZ, or you can shoot one of the many CO ready guns out there. Canik makes good CO ready guns that you could buy used, shoot while you wait, and probably sell for what you have into it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 9:07 AM, MisfitGeek said:

Hi All, 

Thanks in advance.

I have both guns and it’s a reasonable plan you have. 

Really for the SP01 you’re just waiting on the optic cut, the other stuff: RRK, bushing, sear, hammer etc is easy to do yourself with the help of YouTube and some basic tools. 

2 hours ago, stick said:

CZ has a new CO gun out and the MSRP dropped $250 on it.  The CZ P10 F Competition Ready.  I picked one up for CO and I really like it.

Where you finding them for sale that low?

17 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

Where you finding them for sale that low?

Almost anywhere.  The MSRP dropped to $749.  So, You can find them for that price.  Some companies have stock in them before the price drop and they won't discount them.  I bought mine locally from https://www.pjammo.com/Default.asp  Give PJ a call!

Here's CZ's Website with the MSRP listed. https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-10-f-competition-ready/

Edited by stick

On 7/10/2023 at 1:35 PM, stick said:

Almost anywhere.  The MSRP dropped to $749.  So, You can find them for that price.  Some companies have stock in them before the price drop and they won't discount them.  I bought mine locally from https://www.pjammo.com/Default.asp  Give PJ a call!

Here's CZ's Website with the MSRP listed. https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-10-f-competition-ready/

gun.deals is your friend. Type in whatever your flavor, and there is a listing. Short of going used, there is a ton of guns on there.

So, I saw a video of Matt Little shooting his Staccato XC at a local IDPA match last weekend.  I know IDPA changes their rules every other day, but when did we start allowing compensators?  I read something about screw on comps are ok, but pinned are not?  What sense does that make??  I love the XC, but never bought one since it wasn't IDPA legal nor competitive in USPSA.  Today, I'd consider one.  Only for them to make it illegal next month........

A.2.3.2 Compensated and ported barrels that are incorporated into the firearm.

What does this mean exactly?  Sound like any comp would be legal as long as it fits the box and makes weight!!

16 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

A.2.3.2 Compensated and ported barrels that are incorporated into the firearm.

What does this mean exactly?  Sound like any comp would be legal as long as it fits the box and makes weight!!

There seems to have been some back and forth on this since the new rule came out.

I have not followed this issue for a while but my last understanding was as you state: If it fits it is good to go.

On 7/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, ddc said:

There seems to have been some back and forth on this since the new rule came out.

I have not followed this issue for a while but my last understanding was as you state: If it fits it is good to go.

Yep, I bought a XC for this reason. It will be my go to IDPA gun for now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I wouldn't invest in a 226 Legion because it's not going to be any good in USPSA. Even if you aren't doing USPSA now, you may want to in the future and having one gun for both is nice. 

• 1 month later...

I have a p320 for CO. It's very popular in IDPA and even USPSA. Just so modular.

But can't go wrong with the SP01. Less ker-chunk with slide reciprocating. Although, the pro cut slide and TXG grip doesn't seem to move in my hands. The balance is also pretty nice.