Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NORMA 9MM BRASS

scottinohio

4 hours ago, RudyVey said:

Have no problems with Norma brass on my 550 either. I have checked quite a few cases, but never thought that the lil hole is smaller than any other brand.

Probably depends on your decap die. 

The Dillon die feels it for sure… but it can make its way through. 

Well apparently it depends on the lot of brass. Just measured the flash hole on 2 once fired Norma brass I had in my range pickup bucket. One is .067 and one is .052. Therein lies the problem, for me anyway. 

I pitch it since it trips the load sensor on the Mark 7 / 1050.  I don't hate it quite as much as stepped brass, but  I asked a guy that went to SHOT to go punch someone in the Norma booth straight in the yarbles for making such an annoying thing, but apparently that sort of behavior is not acceptable there :D

19 hours ago, shred said:

I pitch it since it trips the load sensor on the Mark 7 / 1050.  I don't hate it quite as much as stepped brass, but  I asked a guy that went to SHOT to go punch someone in the Norma booth straight in the yarbles for making such an annoying thing, but apparently that sort of behavior is not acceptable there :D

15 hours ago, 36873687 said:

It all depends on WHOSE YARBLES!

Fixed it for you.

Nolan

They were pulling out my decapping pins all the time and I had to knurl the top of the pin so it would stay in. Not at bad as Speer 357Sig flash holes that were breaking pins all the time before Dillon sent me some smaller pins.

Reloading I don't know as that's not one of the headstamps I sort for.

Apparently the Norma brass I find tends to have the small flash hole, so I throw them away. The thicker decap pin I have will open up the flash hole and resize it but I don’t want to chance breaking or bending the decap pin, so I throw those head stamps away.

On 3/11/2023 at 6:28 PM, shred said:

I fully support this. Fully fully support this.  It’s awful when I hit a Norma case on the press 

No problem in my Hornady AP; like others have said, use a smaller diameter decapping pin or a shouldered decapping pin (what I do).  I can tell when I hit a piece of Norma brass but it goes through fine and primes fine.  Saves the trouble of sorting them out.

• 4 weeks later...

After sticking a couple decapping pins, I also toss the Norma brass.  With all the 9mm brass available, it's not worth the hassle of dealing with it or modifying my decapping pin.  By the way, it's not the only brand that I toss.

• 1 month later...