Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition 9mm Ammo

ES13Raven

Say you couldn't reload anymore...

What competition-specific ammo (130-ish PF) would you buy?

Anyone have good luck with these?

1. Freedom ProMatch 9mm
  2. ELEY Minor 9mm
  3. Atlanta Arms 9mm
  4. Federal Syntech 9mm
  5. Sig Sauer 9MM, 147GR, Match Elite Competition JHP
  6. Stand 1 Armory 9mm
  7. Fenix 9mm 147gr NAS3 Match Grade
  8. Peak Performance 9mm
  9. Minuteman 9mm Blue Bullet competition loads
  10. Any others?

I'd stay away from freedom and probably syntech. 

I'd probably get the absolute cheapest thing I could for practice, then maybe splurge a little for majors. Maybe consider something that's "official match ammo" so chrono doesn't matter. Eley seems like good stuff

Edited by Racinready300ex

5 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/9mm-147gr-fmj-remanufactured-ammunition-250-pack/

Long tenured relationship with USPSA and it's competitors (and is a USPSA certified ammo). 

True made-in-house FMJ projectile. 

PD takes care of their customers like no other. 

Hard to go wrong. 

Totally agree!  

👍

I was shooting with a guy a while back who was shooting AA ammo.  His pistol sounded like a pop corn machine with all the various reports.  Sounded like a mixed back of sub and super sonic ammo.  It was horrible.  Not the kind of quality I expect from AA.

I had great luck with Blazer Brass 115s before I converted  my press to 9mm.  

i've used atlanta .40 major and minor (both their reloads) and 38 super major (new) with no issues.  well, one case was somehow loaded a little long and they replaced it no issues.  haven't tried any of the others listed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 1:09 PM, ES13Raven said:

Say you couldn't reload anymore...

What competition-specific ammo (130-ish PF) would you buy?

Anyone have good luck with these?

1. Freedom ProMatch 9mm
  2. ELEY Minor 9mm
  3. Atlanta Arms 9mm
  4. Federal Syntech 9mm
  5. Sig Sauer 9MM, 147GR, Match Elite Competition JHP
  6. Stand 1 Armory 9mm
  7. Fenix 9mm 147gr NAS3 Match Grade
  8. Peak Performance 9mm
  9. Minuteman 9mm Blue Bullet competition loads
  10. Any others?

Blazer Brass 9mm 124 grain has a power factor of 135.

• 2 weeks later...

Syntech likes to tumble and keyhole out of one of my Beretta 92 barrels. Both 150gr and 115gr varieties. It occurs intermittently, but frequently enough that I can't trust that barrel/ammo combo for match use. The last indoor match I used them at I had maybe 4 or 5 tumble (that landed on paper) out of 75 rounds total. At other times I've had close shots completely miss that I'm fairly sure that I called properly. The tumbling seems to have started after the barrel in question reached a higher (but not excessively so) round count of between 15-20K. Testing it out in a couple new 92 barrels to see if the same issue develops over time. I otherwise like Syntech for how clean it shoots - no lead primers and spent brass is so clean that you could almost reload them without tumbling.

Edited by sk8242

2 hours ago, sk8242 said:

Syntech likes to tumble and keyhole out of one of my Beretta 92 barrels. Both 150gr and 115gr varieties. It occurs intermittently, but frequently enough that I can't trust that barrel/ammo combo for match use. The last indoor match I used them at I had maybe 4 or 5 tumble (that landed on paper) out of 75 rounds total. At other times I've had close shots completely miss that I'm fairly sure that I called properly. The tumbling seems to have started after the barrel in question reached a higher (but not excessively so) round count of between 15-20K. Testing it out in a couple new 92 barrels to see if the same issue develops over time. I otherwise like Syntech for how clean it shoots - no lead primers and spent brass is so clean that you could almost reload them without tumbling.

IF you can get your hands on some Federal American Eagle, try them as a comparison to the Syntech.  Their clean also; but a bit faster.  IMO, if the Syntech is tumbling, they need chrono'd to check for weak/low PF.........

https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/american-eagle/american-eagle-handgun/11-AE9FP.html

;)

Yup, I've had good luck with the 147gr AE load. A bit more PF that needed but nothing excessive. Not always easy to find like you mention.

When I run the Syntech 150 through my chrono using the barrel it currently tends to tumble out of, I get about around 128-130 PF (about 850-875fps) . Ran the same 150s through two new 92 barrels a few days ago and got 135PF (about 900fps). Federal rates it at 890fps out of a 4" test barrel. I think this particular barrel just doesn't care for Syntech, because it seems to shoot 147gr Blues and run of the mill FMJ without any problems.

Precision Delta match packs were my go to for a long time. Also used a lot of NC Shooters ammo. I still do if I'm shooting 40 major. Also used Federal syntech a bunch and know a few fellow shooters who use it exclusively. Black Dot ammo is also good to go. Used some of it and know a couple shooters who use it. 

Atlanta Arms is great ammo, but expensive AF.

Everglades also makes ammo, havent shot any of their minor loads but their 9 major is good. 

I didn't have good luck with fenix.

I shot freedom for a long time. Mainly because of price. But recently I’ve have three total failures out of one batch of 1,000. This steered me towards 2A ammo. So far so good. I’ll be doing a side by side with 2A, outdoor dynamics, stand 1, and AA. It’s just to dang cold right now. I also have to link up with someone with a chrono

3 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I shot freedom for a long time. Mainly because of price. But recently I’ve have three total failures out of one batch of 1,000. This steered me towards 2A ammo. So far so good. I’ll be doing a side by side with 2A, outdoor dynamics, stand 1, and AA. It’s just to dang cold right now. I also have to link up with someone with a chrono

I shot freedom for many thousand rounds as they had a retail location here in Houston. Most of what I shot were remand. I stopped because they never or intermittently resized their brass. I was getting “glock bulged” brass that would not fully chamber in my 2011’s. 

I shoot Winchester White Box for most things now. 

• 4 weeks later...