Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter-Voted Best Nationals Location

yekcoh

Shooter Voted Nationals Location  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like Nationals to be in?

• Talladega, AL
    • Palisade, CO
    • Frostproof, FL
    • Barry, IL
    • De Soto, KS
    • Las Vegas, NV (Assuming the range is willing to accommodate and host)
    • Columbia, SC
    • Murfreesboro, TN
    • St. George, UT
    • Other

Would be nice to know what everyone thinks on this. I've listed several previous national match locations.

Please consider with numerous factors in mind:

1. Weather
  2. Airport and flight availability
  3. Vehicle rental availability
  4. Hotel availability
  5. State law
  6. Overall travel expense cost
  7. Range capacity

Aside from law, I personally think #1-4 should take precedence when determining the match location.

In the end, we pay thousands to travel per match. In other words, typically 85% of the money spent on a major match goes to travel expenses. 

Match location should be economical and financially friendly...

Edited by yekcoh

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

None of this is economically friendly lol. Give me the best site and tourism I'll spend the money

hahaha! I can't disagree with that! Like IPSC World Shoot in Thailand?

Edited by yekcoh

The one way to fix the location issue is to run matches regionally with a format like the go fast don’t suckb but at the same time. The technology is there for it and the use of video conferencing could be used to sync key personnel if needed. But then it loses its luster as all the big names aren’t in one place and overhead is higher. Does the additional intake of shooters cover it?  I don’t know that answer either. 

that’s not to mention the differences in equipment and props etc that make it hard to dummy proof. 

is it worth it?  Who knows but it would give shooters soemtbing else to bitch about instead of how far they gotta go

Edited by Nathanb

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

The one way to fix the location issue is to run matches regionally with a format like the go fast don’t suckb but at the same time. The technology is there for it and the use of video conferencing could be used to sync key personnel if needed. But then it loses its luster as all the big names aren’t in one place and overhead is higher. Does the additional intake of shooters cover it?  I don’t know that answer either. 

that’s not to mention the differences in equipment and props etc that make it hard to dummy proof. 

is it worth it?  Who knows but it would give shooters soemtbing else to bitch about instead of how far they gotta go

No way. Things like low sun angle and even type of surface for movement matter a ton when you’re talking about championships with fractions of seconds. 

I’ve shot movement classifiers at different ranges and the shooting times are the same but the big differences are in the ability to start and stop. 

Loose gravel versus grass is a huge difference. 

20 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

No way. Things like low sun angle and even type of surface for movement matter a ton when you’re talking about championships with fractions of seconds. 

I’ve shot movement classifiers at different ranges and the shooting times are the same but the big differences are in the ability to start and stop. 

Loose gravel versus grass is a huge difference. 

See I wasn’t even getting into the competitive equity aspect of it. Good points

Just now, Nathanb said:

See I wasn’t even getting into the competitive equity aspect of it. Good points

Yeah I really like the idea of the postal match and Id shoot it in a heartbeat if my local club hosted it. 

but stages will inevitably have variations and inconsistencies that make it difficult for the scores to be legit. 

There is no perfect place to have Nationals.  No matter where, people that are further away will complain that it's too far.  Have it anywhere 4 years in a row and people will bitch that it's boring for being in the same place all the time.  Put it somewhere scenic and people will bitch that "there's nothing to do".  Put it near a big city and people will beef about that too.  Put it somewhere it rains and people whine about mud.  Put it somewhere dry and people crap on the dust and heat.

Moving it around isn't great, but it's better than the alternatives.

Looks like the winner is St. George. I personally did not vote for St. George but I think it certainly is one of the best ranges out there and one of few that can host  22+ stage matches.

Biggest advantage is that the city is capable of handling high influx of people. This is something that Talladega and Frostproof lack...

Edited by yekcoh

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

Looks like the winner is St. George. I personally did not vote for St. George but I think it certainly is one of the best ranges out there and one of few that can host  22+ stage matches.

Biggest advantage is that the city is capable of handling high influx of people. This is something that Talladega and Frostproof lack...

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of hotel rooms in the area surrounding the talladega range (within 20-25 mins). Seems like a bit further drive to/from frostproof.

I'm pretty agnostic tho. If nationals are held somewhere I can get to, at a time I can get to, I'll go. If not, I won't.

15 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of hotel rooms in the area surrounding the talladega range (within 20-25 mins). Seems like a bit further drive to/from frostproof.

I'm pretty agnostic tho. If nationals are held somewhere I can get to, at a time I can get to, I'll go. If not, I won't.

Hotels around Talladega are ok. But as mentioned previously, the range doesn't have enough bays for majors like nats.

I drive further and stay nicer. I'd much rather drive an hour to and from the range and have way more amenities than stay in a lesser place and be 15 or 20 mins from the range. Why for cmp I stay in actual Birmingham. Why for frostproof I stay in lake Wales and such for every range I can. 

On 6/25/2022 at 1:17 PM, warpspeed said:

The USAA  in Tulsa has hosted in the past. 

This is my pick!  Shot production Nats in 2013 and it was fantastic!

15 hours ago, yekcoh said:

Really like(d) the St. George range.  Cheap airfare into Las Vegas,  Zion Park and Bryce Canyon, doable driving distance.  Have

not shot there since they re-did the range, but the bays look really skinny.  Is SUPS still a Nationals capable range?  

St George is great.  

And I see Las Vegas came in second.  

I think the St George is likely the best range, but ya certainly cannot discount the draw, hotels, amenities of Vegas!  

Edited by varminter22

Anyone else do what I did? …"Wow, there is a place that close? That would be amazing"

I think the best thing they could do is just move it to different parts of the country so more of the members have the opportunity to attend. Some people will go no mater where it is, others will never go because it's to far to travel. 

2 hours ago, open17 said:

Really like(d) the St. George range.  Cheap airfare into Las Vegas,  Zion Park and Bryce Canyon, doable driving distance.  Have

not shot there since they re-did the range, but the bays look really skinny.  Is SUPS still a Nationals capable range?  

I've shot the local and major there a few times since the upgrade. It's undoubtedly the best range and the highest capacity I've seen to date. Once in a while they flood but other than that, nothing compares to this range.

And again, this is exactly what I'm saying. Cheap and available airfare and stays should take precedence because shooters 85% of major match expense go to just that. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Anyone else do what I did? …"Wow, there is a place that close? That would be amazing"

I think the best thing they could do is just move it to different parts of the country so more of the members have the opportunity to attend. Some people will go no mater where it is, others will never go because it's to far to travel. 

I personally disagree with moving it around. I think USPSA should designate a range and keep it there for consistency's sake. I'm pretty sure people shooting nationals won't mind traveling...

1 hour ago, varminter22 said:

St George is great.  

And I see Las Vegas came in second.  

I think the St George is likely the best range, but ya certainly cannot discount the draw, hotels, amenities of Vegas!  

Vegas should theoretically be THE SPOT for nats or any major events. The Desert sportsman range by red rock really crippled themselves over the last few years. I should get in touch with them...

Edited by yekcoh

1 minute ago, yekcoh said:

I personally disagree with moving it around. I think USPSA should designate a range and keep it there for consistency's sake. I'm pretty sure people shooting nationals won't mind traveling...

If the people shooting Nat's don't mind traveling why can't it move around? You've just repeated my point, but you're trying to say the opposite. Those who will travel, will travel, so move it around for the majority who can't.