Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter-Voted Best Nationals Location


yekcoh

Shooter Voted Nationals Location  

256 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

If the people shooting Nat's don't mind traveling why can't it move around? You've just repeated my point, but you're trying to say the opposite. Those who will travel, will travel, so move it around for the majority who can't. 

 

why shoot a Nationals if you don't care to travel? I'm confused between being able to shoot and being able to travel. Those who are able to shoot should be able to travel...?

If traveling to Nationals is too much for one's schedule, he should stick to area matches. No one should show up to nationals without dedicating large amounts of time and effort invested in training.

Edited by yekcoh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

why shoot a Nationals if you don't care to travel? I'm confused between being able to shoot and being able to travel. Those who are able to shoot should be able to travel...?

If traveling to Nationals is too much for one's schedule, he should stick to area matches. No one should show up to nationals without dedicating large amounts of time and effort invested in training.

Agree.  The only thing that I would add is that the range should be less than ~2 hours from a major airport. (If you live in BFE, sorry.) Is there a range that is further from all major airports than Cameo? 

  Connecting to a small airport makes travel harder, may add additional hotel days, not to mention the serious increase in  flight cancellations 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

 

I personally disagree with moving it around. I think USPSA should designate a range and keep it there for consistency's sake. I'm pretty sure people shooting nationals won't mind traveling...

 

 

Vegas should theoretically be THE SPOT for nats or any major events. 

 

what an odd coincidence that you think that and you happen to live in vegas, lol. Personally, I think nats should always be in Boise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

why shoot a Nationals if you don't care to travel? I'm confused between being able to shoot and being able to travel. Those who are able to shoot should be able to travel...?

If traveling to Nationals is too much for one's schedule, he should stick to area matches. No one should show up to nationals without dedicating large amounts of time and effort invested in training.

 

You don't really make sense, if you so on board with travel why are you opposed to needing to travel?

 

Aside from just opening it up to more people moving it around the country can give other clubs a opportunity to shine. The match is less likely to get stagnate from being at the same club with the same staff and same flavor every year. I know I've shot matches that before I even get to the range I've got a basic idea of what to expect on every stage. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

You don't really make sense, if you so on board with travel why are you opposed to needing to travel?

 

Aside from just opening it up to more people moving it around the country can give other clubs a opportunity to shine. The match is less likely to get stagnate from being at the same club with the same staff and same flavor every year. I know I've shot matches that before I even get to the range I've got a basic idea of what to expect on every stage. 

 

I'm not at all opposed to traveling. If you would go back to my original post, I make it very clear that the nationals location should be selected with shooters in mind. I don't know what kind of exchanges happen between the organization and clubs. I'd assume there is some money exchange going on since hosting a match brings in money. Making the match happen is one thing but shooters are the ones spending thousands. Shooters should have a voice in where nationals should be.

Edited by yekcoh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

 

what an odd coincidence that you think that and you happen to live in vegas, lol. Personally, I think nats should always be in Boise.

haha! I promise I'm doing my best to stay unbiased

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, yekcoh said:

I personally disagree with moving it around. I think USPSA should designate a range and keep it there for consistency's sake.  I'm pretty sure people shooting nationals won't mind traveling...

 

Of course people from the west would like it to be in Utah or Nevada forever. 

 

if things go as I think they will, in a few years time there will be a range in Ohio more than capable to host any size of nationals.  It's already capable of holding the ATA Grand American if it ever moves out of Illinois, a tournament that dwarfs anything we do, and it has plenty of land left over.

 

It's also less than an hour from the state capital's international airport, 45 min from the northern suburbs of Columbus, has an enormous world class RV campground, and it's less than a 9 hr drive radius from an arc that covers Boston to the Piedmont triangle in NC

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

a tournament that dwarfs anything we do,

Sparta (Illinois) IS a sight to behold!

IIRC correctly from my visits there, it has 3-1/2 miles of clay-bird launchers, room for just over 1,000 RVs, and its own water tower. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Sparta (Illinois) IS a sight to behold!

IIRC correctly from my visits there, it has 3-1/2 miles of clay-bird launchers, room for just over 1,000 RVs, and its own water tower. 

 

The Cardinal Shooting Center in Marengo, OH is as big or bigger.  I think politics is why its not in Ohio after it left Vandalia.

 

The Cardinal's owners are huge boosters of the shooting sports holding major tournaments in ATA trap, NSCA sporting clays, NSSF scholastic clay target shooting and scholastic action pistol, and NRA bullseye pistol.  At one point they were bidding to hold the NRA/CMP pistol national matches.

 

Now a USPSA club's been formed there and I believe if things go well that the owners will invest in what they need to hold the USPSA nationals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

 

Of course people from the west would like it to be in Utah or Nevada forever. 

 

if things go as I think they will, in a few years time there will be a range in Ohio more than capable to host any size of nationals.  It's already capable of holding the ATA Grand American if it ever moves out of Illinois, a tournament that dwarfs anything we do, and it has plenty of land left over.

 

It's also less than an hour from the state capital's international airport, 45 min from the northern suburbs of Columbus, has an enormous world class RV campground, and it's less than a 9 hr drive radius from an arc that covers Boston to the Piedmont triangle in NC

I am from Ohio. Weather is absolute garbage in Ohio. 

 

I literally made the decision to leave Ohio on the day when I was on the way to a match, I received a notification that the match was canceled due to rain.

I am certain Ohio is not the right place for nats. It would be a disaster.

Edited by yekcoh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

I am from Ohio. Weather is absolute garbage in Ohio. 

 

I literally made the decision to leave Ohio on the day when I was on the way to a match, I received a notification that the match was canceled due to rain.

I am certain Ohio is not the right place for nats. It would be a disaster.

 

Ohio weather is not for the weak, that's for sure.

 

I'm sure the decision to hold Nationals at the Cardinal Shooting Center, once the facilities are expanded to the necessary degree, will be made without your "constructive" input.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

 

Ohio weather is not for the weak, that's for sure.

 

I'm sure the decision to hold Nationals at the Cardinal Shooting Center, once the facilities are expanded to the necessary degree, will be made without your "constructive" input.

lol Not for the weak. Easy to start getting personal.. It's not in my control to clubs canceling matches due to weather conditions. Like I said, I am from Ohio. I shot in rain and snow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, yekcoh said:

lol Not for the weak. Easy to start getting personal.. It's not in my control to clubs canceling matches due to weather conditions. Like I said, I am from Ohio. I shot in rain and snow.

 

You're right the weather here sucks so bad that the CMP National Matches have been held here for almost a century and the Grand American trap tournament for many decades until local politics forced it out.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2022 at 4:36 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

 

The Cardinal Shooting Center in Marengo, OH is as big or bigger.  I think politics is why its not in Ohio after it left Vandalia.

 

The Cardinal's owners are huge boosters of the shooting sports holding major tournaments in ATA trap, NSCA sporting clays, NSSF scholastic clay target shooting and scholastic action pistol, and NRA bullseye pistol.  At one point they were bidding to hold the NRA/CMP pistol national matches.

 

Now a USPSA club's been formed there and I believe if things go well that the owners will invest in what they need to hold the USPSA nationals.

Went online to check out the range; very cool! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

as i am on the west coast i am a little biased to sG or Vegas.  the great thing if its in Vegas is the amount of flights that fly into it every day from around the country.  also the weather is usually ok in sep oct.   also , the entertainment in Vegas is excellent.  i don't drink ,smoke or gamble, but i always have a good time in Vegas .

 

i checked a random weekday package to Vegas in Aug .  i used my location on the west coast  and ATL  GA .  the same package of hotel and flight on Expedia was within 20 dollars of each other.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GigG said:

Quick question.   Why is Barry IL so far down the list?

Maybe a bit hard to fly there? Other places are direct flights. I know going through Chicago was an experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

Maybe a bit hard to fly there? Other places are direct flights. I know going through Chicago was an experience.

Back in the day I think most people flew into St. Louis and rented a car.  And everyone stayed in Quincy. They pretty much turned Quincy over to USPSA shooters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, GigG said:

Quick question.   Why is Barry IL so far down the list?

Because it was repetitive. Because the vendor stuff turned into nothing. The lodge for the awards would hold 50 people? If that many stuck around the years I went in like 14-16. Lots of walking. Hard to remember things that aren't subjective but I never remember being excited to go to the area. Oh, and solid walls and ro scandals 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tulsa, by far, would be my choice for Nationals. It's super convenient to get to flying or driving. It's central and there's enough bays for a 20+ stage match plus vendor bays, side shoots and other festivities. 

St. George has some bomb food but I haven't seen the new bays. I've heard they were small but 2019 was a fun match. 

Vegas is easy to get to but I haven't seen the range so, IDK. 

Frostproof isn't a bad option even though it kind of sucks getting there. At least the range can do a huge match. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Google "ussa range Tulsa flooding" and look at the pics. Makes the A4 match that got canceled and rescheduled for flooding at A59 range look like nothing. I think the institutional knowledge from those, yes multiple, floods at ussa will keep people away. 

I've shot there a fair bit and if it is dry I love it there more than any other range. And their monthly locals are good too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...