Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter-Voted Best Nationals Location

yekcoh

Shooter Voted Nationals Location  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you like Nationals to be in?

• Talladega, AL
    • Palisade, CO
    • Frostproof, FL
    • Barry, IL
    • De Soto, KS
    • Las Vegas, NV (Assuming the range is willing to accommodate and host)
    • Columbia, SC
    • Murfreesboro, TN
    • St. George, UT
    • Other

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, Yagi said:

I remember 2 years in St. George we had guns stolen. 

at the match? That's a bit surprising.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:57 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

Tulsa, by far, would be my choice for Nationals. It's super convenient to get to flying or driving. It's central and there's enough bays for a 20+ stage match plus vendor bays, side shoots and other festivities. 

St. George has some bomb food but I haven't seen the new bays. I've heard they were small but 2019 was a fun match. 

Vegas is easy to get to but I haven't seen the range so, IDK. 

Frostproof isn't a bad option even though it kind of sucks getting there. At least the range can do a huge match. 

hmmm. When was the last time nats was done in Tulsa? I'd like to see if there is a video footage somewhere on the internet

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

at the match? That's a bit surprising.

hmmm. When was the last time nats was done in Tulsa? I'd like to see if there is a video footage somewhere on the internet

Not truly the same but I shot idpa nats and worlds at Tulsa 12-14 iirc. And many uspsa area and section matches there. What are you interested in seeing?

On 7/8/2022 at 11:16 AM, rowdyb said:

Not truly the same but I shot idpa nats and worlds at Tulsa 12-14 iirc. And many uspsa area and section matches there. What are you interested in seeing?

Match footage on YouTube or a birds eye shot of the range

With respect, I keep hearing about rain in Tulsa. Does it rain more in Tulsa than in other areas, or is the drainage much worse in Tulsa than other ranges? Just trying to understand, having never been to the area. I shot an Area 8 match in Fredericksburg after a thunderstorm; it surely did suck. We did not drop our magazines but performed “tactical reloads” for fear of losing our magazines in the mud. 😀

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

With respect, I keep hearing about rain in Tulsa. Does it rain more in Tulsa than in other areas, or is the drainage much worse in Tulsa than other ranges? Just trying to understand, having never been to the area. I shot an Area 8 match in Fredericksburg after a thunderstorm; it surely did suck. We did not drop our magazines but performed “tactical reloads” for fear of losing our magazines in the mud. 😀

Drainage issues pure and simple. And yes, storms in the mid south can unleash an unreal amount if rain in a very short time.

Wow, that sure tops anything I have seen or shot in. I guess you would need boats. 😀 Looks like no drainage system what so ever. I would think that all the money spent constructing such a range, drainage would have been an integral part of the design. Evidently not. 

Is there a certain rainy season? 

12 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Got it; typical USPSA planning. Looking at the graph, end of the year Match is not in the cards. Thanks for taking the time to provide factual information.

In fairness, during a conversation I personally overheard between the late Michael Voigt and a shooter criticizing having placed back-to-back Nationals at Tulsa when two (yes, two) hurricanes went through back-to-back ...

MV:  "If you would have told me a year ago we were going to have two hurricanes go through during the Nationals I would have scheduled them for a different date."  (Note:  It's been a few years, so if I don't have the quote EXACT, it's pretty close.)

I did, at the time, get a view of the schematics and plans for grading out the berms at the range.  As I read them, the berms were supposed to drain from the backstops out to the road, then be collected and drained off to a pond lower down.  What I observed, based on the waters trapped on the bays during those storms was that the drainage went towards the backstops and was supposed to be carried off by (what I believe) were small drainage pipes at the backstops of the berms.  (They were NOT adequate!)  Good design plan, poor execution in the construction thereof, IMO.

Is it fixable?  Sure!  You got the $$$?

There is also a creek behind the Tulsa range, which means its in a naturally low spot.

Here's a thread with pictures from the 2008 Open / L10 Nationals in Tulsa (see kids, goofy division pairings are nothing new).  Page 2 continues with big heaping helpin's o mud..

post-1846-1221353743.jpg

1 hour ago, shred said:

There is also a creek behind the Tulsa range, which means its in a naturally low spot.

Here's a thread with pictures from the 2008 Open / L10 Nationals in Tulsa (see kids, goofy division pairings are nothing new).  Page 2 continues with big heaping helpin's o mud..

post-1846-1221353743.jpg

Man, those pictures are something! 

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

And the hurricane nats at Frostproof...

At least that drains better.  The king of range-drainage might be the old Space City range in Alvin-- it rained seven and three quarter inches of rain in 45 minutes one year.   Flooded the entire place a couple feet deep in water.  We shot the next day in mildly-soggy conditions.    Wouldn't have believed it if we weren't there in it.

17 hours ago, konkapot said:

Agreed; I cant think of any range in/near Columbia that could pull off a nationals.

in SC you would need to use three ranges to have enough space for a Nationals, and there are not three close enough to make it work.