Open minor guns

usmc1974

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not ?  think a carry optics 9mm with more mag capacity, faster draw holster, big mag well, comp, recoils like a rimfire and Cheap to shoot, easy on the parts and in the right hands can be in the top group at smaller matches

Edited by Sinister4

If it were for USPSA only I would not make that investment.  I did purchase high end 2011 for 3 Gun and 2 Gun competitions.  I do shoot it in USPSA as Open Minor rig for practice for the other disciplines.  

For a strictly open gun I think you are leaving too many points out there to be truly competitive.   I will say it is fun taking Open over the Open Major guys shooting Open Minor which will happen on occasion.  

15 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I was just wondering why, anybody was Spend all the money it take to build a nice open class gun. that Just shoots minor class?

I understand your question, but money is a relative term. What’s “a lot” to some people is chump change to others. A CZ Checkmate looks like a nice “affordable” Open gun that would be a lot of fun to shoot.  I remember that STI SteelMaster was also reasonably priced. The local folks here that shoot them all shoot Minor in USPSA, but they are mostly used for knockdown steel, and steel challenge. 

Personally, I’m a Glock Carry Optics kind of guy, because even those “reasonably” priced guns are a bit on the steep side for me, and don’t fit my hands as well as a Glock. But, to each his own. 

Now, what about all those guys spending totally insane prices for a shotgun just to break a few clays???

5 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Now, what about all those guys spending totally insane prices for a shotgun just to break a few clays???

Now we all know the more gold engraving on a shotgun the better it will shoot  ;)    

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

After hearing shotguns going to well over $20,000 I do not feel as bad spending what I did for at RIA VR80 and having work done to it.

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

After hearing shotguns going to well over $20,000 I do not feel as bad spending what I did for at RIA VR80 and having work done to it.

$20?  I shot skeet competitively, and poorly, when stationed at Bragg.  Back in that 06-09 time frame I saw many 40-100k guns all over the south east.  Some of these people couldnt hide their money if they tried with all their might.  On the positive side, with me being 15-20 years junior to most people there, they all treated me, and pretty much anyone, super well as the future of clays is dying with the young.

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I think that $20k mark is practically entry level pricing for a "nice" gun...

7 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

It really is not the same thing,  Shooting trap and sporting clays there is only a hit  or a miss. No scoring rings. No points down for shooting Minor.

7 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

It really is not the same thing,  Shooting trap and sporting clays there is only a hit  or a miss. No scoring rings. No points down for shooting Minor.

lol, spoken like a true trap shooter, while trying to convince the wife that she needs to hang on to her old car a few more years because you really need that new shotgun…

Don’t take that personally, I’m just having fun.  :)

I think you’d have better luck with my standard line “but honey, it’s for the kids…”. Although in this case I doubt even that would work. 

But, on a similar but unrelated note, I did just order a trap shotgun, but only spent $2k. I started out by making sure she saw me shopping for the $8-$16k shotguns, so when I settled on the “cheap” one it blew through the acquisition phase with ease. 

:)

On 6/17/2022 at 11:18 PM, usmc1974 said:

It really is not the same thing,

Not the point of my comment.  My point is you can spend whatever you want to on any hobby.  I am sure people can smoke the $20,000 Shotgun owner with an $800 shotgun with no problem.

SCSA Open division since there is no Power Factor. There are also a bunch running around in 3-Gun Open and also Open for USPSA Multigun. Some local matches you can even win shooting Open Minor. 

18 minutes ago, Doge said:

SCSA Open division since there is no Power Factor. There are also a bunch running around in 3-Gun Open and also Open for USPSA Multigun. Some local matches you can even win shooting Open Minor. 

If you win a local match shooting minor, there is likely no Open heat.  If you beat decent/good Open  shooters shooting minor, you should be shooting major.  The recoil is in Open is not even close to that in a Limited gun.  

Open division in USPSA= Major+Comp+Frame mounted optic.  Everything else is for Timmies, multigunners and steel shooters dabbling in USPSA, small children and those who can't reload and are too cheap to buy factory major PF ammo.  

Show up at a Level 2 or 3 shooting Minor and you have just given the entire field ~5%.  No one does this who has any desire to place well. If this doesn't phase you, none of this matters but this is a "Competitive Shooting Forum".  

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

there is likely no Open heat.

We have limited heat in open, and the heat tends to practice on their own more and only show up occasionally and are usually traveling to Level 2 and up matches.  

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

you should be shooting major

If the budget allowed I would be.  Open is whole giant can of pain in regards to cost I am not willing to open yet.

I also know several open division shooters whom shoot in minor PF. There's certainly nothing wrong with it. If you really want to be competitive in open division, I'm afraid that shooting in major PF is a must. There is of course always a "black swan" that shoots very well competitively in open division minor.

On the other hand, I really think IPSC, and thus too USPSA, really need to review and especially lower the major PF for classic, standard and open division. I do not see a positive reason why it should be that high, especially because of the destructive impact on the guns, as well as the seriously increased cost of reloading nowadays ...