Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which thumb rest?

Bakerjd

Setting up my open gun for the girlfriend and since I'm left handed I have no clue which thumb rest to get for her. 

When she grips the gun her weak hand thumb covers the rear two optic mounting screws. Frame is a cheely XWF. I've looked at the akia, *thumb rest [generic]*, and everglades. Just not sure which would fit her hands best. 

What's say you right handed shooters. 

I use the thumb rest [generic] *thumb rest [generic]*. I'm relativity inexperienced, and haven't used anything else, but I really like it. 

Ah... It looks like the one I use, can't be called by name. But it's where you put your right foot in your car(in the US)

Edited by nhyrum

If you have the option to do it yourself then do it.
Because I make all the accessories according to how, that is convenient for me. That’s why in every competition the RO  check to see if my gun fits in the box.😀

I like the *thumb rest [generic]* and the limcat thumb rests. My son who is 10 with small hands has a *thumb rest [generic]* on his open gun and it fits him well using the 2 rear most holes on an XWF framed gun. 

Edited by xjwalt666

• 1 month later...

I got super technical recently after deciding to try a thumb rest. I looked at pictures of different rests and used my imagination. I just gripped my gun about how I thought I would need to in order to use the rest. I also felt like I wanted one more vertial than horizontal, thinking if I apply pressure into it I want the pressure going forward not down. I ended up ordering the Tevo. 

I think it's going to do what I want, I can tell my grip is going to need to change a little to utilize it and that alone will likely make some difference. I haven't had a chance to test fire with it yet, hopefully I can later this week or next. 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:07 PM, Bakerjd said:

Setting up my open gun for the girlfriend and since I'm left handed I have no clue which thumb rest to get for her. 

When she grips the gun her weak hand thumb covers the rear two optic mounting screws. Frame is a cheely XWF. I've looked at the akia, *thumb rest [generic]*, and everglades. Just not sure which would fit her hands best. 

What's say you right handed shooters. 

My vote is NONE. I dont use one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tevo or panda.  The tevo has a high thumb angle that is more ergonomic and comfortable for a lot of people.  If used correctly as a reference point and rest spot for thumb instead of a place to push down.  If your fighting the fun with your single thumb, it will deflect to the side and cause second fast shots to hit right from pushing the thumb and essentially twisting the gun to side.   I use a lot of tevo on orders but the panda is pretty nice too.  Have it in one of my personal guns and will get used to that one over winter.  

you righties are lucky, fairly limited for us with impediments (lefties). I had to use a small RMT thumb rest and custom mount and shave it for slide clearance. The ones in this thread would not work as that's where ejection happens. If there is a lefty out there thats interested, I'll post a pic. I put this onmy STI Grandmaster and Brazos Limited guns.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:42 AM, frankge said:

you righties are lucky, fairly limited for us with impediments (lefties). I had to use a small RMT thumb rest and custom mount and shave it for slide clearance. The ones in this thread would not work as that's where ejection happens. If there is a lefty out there thats interested, I'll post a pic. I put this onmy STI Grandmaster and Brazos Limited guns.

I'm a Lefty and love the evil hands one. There is also the everglades one which I like. My limited/Open guns all have the evil hands on them. It covers the ejection port while slide is in battery but I've fired thousands of rounds with it on multiple guns and never any issues. And I have it mounted right in front of the slide stop pin.