Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers?

rooster mcbee

Natchez, has been the best deal as far as bulk orders go I have seen over the last two years.  You can order 5K at a time and this allows you to spread the Hazmat and shipping over 5K primers vs 1K primers.  And they get them in.  

As far retail goes, Scheels has had them in pretty regularly and have had the best prices by far.  

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

I hear Sheels is a pretty decent place.  Unfortunately for me, the closest one is four hundred miles away.  

GG

And when I stopped at one in Illinois you had to have some kind of nazi approved credentials to buy them.

The Big R at the end of my street had primers for the first time today in 2.5 years!!!  And, the guy behind the counter was willing to sell me whatever I wanted.  I bought 500 CCI rifle primers and 2k remington SP.  At $11/100 primers it wasn't cheap, but it's the first time I've seen SP for sale in the Denver Area in ages, and I was completely out.  

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

And when I stopped at one in Illinois you had to have some kind of nazi approved credentials to buy them.

KS:

I still have my Illinois firearms permit from the late 70's.  Had to have one to buy firearms and ammo then.  Not sure why I got it because I was in the Army and was at either Bragg or Benning where I could buy a firearm and ammo on either post without any permit.

GG

18 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

KS:

I still have my Illinois firearms permit from the late 70's.  Had to have one to buy firearms and ammo then.  Not sure why I got it because I was in the Army and was at either Bragg or Benning where I could buy a firearm and ammo on either post without any permit.

GG

Are you guys talking about an FOID card? I had one when I lived there in the 70s.

Now I'm in California, we have to undergo a background check to buy ammo, but nothing for reloading components. It's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Are you guys talking about an FOID card? I had one when I lived there in the 70s.

Now I'm in California, we have to undergo a background check to buy ammo, but nothing for reloading components. It's ridiculous.

I think it did say FOID card on the sign.  This was during the last great shortage. They had a pallet of fed SPP but I couldn’t buy any

6 hours ago, ysrracer said:

YR:

Yes, it is the Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID).  

GG

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Shhhhhh, don't let'em hear you!  I'm sure "they" are listening.

when I read that Ca was doing background checks for ammo I started laughing

and I tried to stock up on dies and molds.  cause I saw a lot of demand for reloading goodies...

I didn't get some things I wanted.  things moved that quick. 

miranda

49 minutes ago, fraizer15 said:

I have cast bullets since the mid-80s from wheel weights and other lead scrap. Now days scrap lead is hard to find.

I started casting about the same time; I just buy lead from venders now because it's so hard to find and I know what I'm getting. 

Shoot 12,000 rounds a year average 345 pounds of lead at 1.60 per pound that's 552.00 dollars, so that's still 23.00 dollars per 500 which is not bad. 

Not as good as free but way easier :)

Edited by dannyd

I started casting as wheel weights move to zinc and  steel...

I can tell you that sailboats are a good source of lead.

but plan on buying if you are starting now.

the price is not the as much of an issue,

finding a scrap source is more the problem

when I could not find primers I looked into what I could get and do.

I found casting fun and thought I'd get a revolver...

this primer shortage  I looked more into primer making,

and that is not a do it yerself activity, and so I tried to see what

building a company would take.

unlike boolit castin,' there is darned little information

easily accessed for either activity!

welp I am laughing anyway.

and...

no revolver yet.

miranda

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 7:43 PM, dannyd said:

I started casting about the same time; I just buy lead from venders now because it's so hard to find and I know what I'm getting. 

Shoot 12,000 rounds a year average 345 pounds of lead at 1.60 per pound that's 552.00 dollars, so that's still 23.00 dollars per 500 which is not bad. 

Not as good as free but way easier :)

Where  are you buying your lead, locally or online? 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

primers are not packed loosely in bulk like that are they?

They are ;)

Someone gave me a box a few months back, they are a bit hard to set off and harder to seat. 

If you are using a press with little leverage (Square Deal) and a pistol with a soft touch they don't work very well.

Hence I got them :)

Ginex_IMG20220415133202.jpg

@Miranda my RF100 works just fine with any small primer I tested, maybe 1 in 5000 primers is upside down. (Ginex, S&B, Fiocchi, Federal)

Edited by xrayfk05

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

primers are not packed loosely in bulk like that are they?

Yep. These came in in the batch that made it through customs before the next shipment was supposedly stopped before it was allowed in port and required to be repacked at sea.

I've never had one fail to ignite and the collator on my Mark7 Revolution just gets them dumped in anyway.  I'm thinking about selling them so I can mark ammo "All US Components."

• 2 weeks later...

Guys:

I see more and more imported small pistol primers in the market.  Aquila, Servicos Adventuras, and imports from Serbia.

I know the Fed 100's are the most reliable and Pk-2 has stated the new CCI SPP's will work with his tuned revolvers.  Problem is finding them in quantities that make paying the fees palatable.  Can't say as I have seen Fed 100's on Discord for over six months now.  CCI SPPs for a good six months.

Have been tempted to try the imported SPP's but I bet they are made for service loads and my firing pins won't even put a dimple into them.

Any opinions on the imported SPP's?  

GG