Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers?

rooster mcbee

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, GMM50 said:

Don't you remember in the 1970s or 80s there were primers that were fired electronically.

Can't remember who made them, but it was a major brand.

Never caught on and died away.

Was either Daisy or remington and seems like it was part of a caseless ammo experiment.

12 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Was either Daisy or remington and seems like it was part of a caseless ammo experiment.

It was Remington. They had a regular case but it had the special primer in it. Think I still saw some for sale back in 2017-18 for about a buck a primer. G&A did a test on the rifle when they came out and we’re all oooh & Ahhh about it. Trigger pull was great because it was a type of micro switch. Never was a big Remington fan just because of some of the stupid crap they used to come up with, push it out to the consumer and then discontinue it. 

Edited by Farmer

3 hours ago, Farmer said:

It was Remington. They had a regular case but it had the special primer in it. Think I still saw some for sale back in 2017-18 for about a buck a primer. G&A did a test on the rifle when they came out and we’re all oooh & Ahhh about it. Trigger pull was great because it was a type of micro switch. Never was a big Remington fan just because of some of the stupid crap they used to come up with, push it out to the consumer and then discontinue it. 

I was in the electronics industry back then, and a major gun manufacturer asked for a trigger design and a potting compound design.  We won neither.  Problem was NO ONE would sell them electronic parts to put in a gun!!!  Too dangerous.

8 hours ago, Petrov said:

Wait what? 85 bucks for DOT insurance? How much does it cost to ship primers now?

Yo PR:

Got to read the entire sentence.  That $85.00 was DOT, shipping, and state tax.  About $50.00 was state sales tax.   

GG

2 hours ago, GMM50 said:

I was in the electronics industry back then, and a major gun manufacturer asked for a trigger design and a potting compound design.  We won neither.  Problem was NO ONE would sell them electronic parts to put in a gun!!!  Too dangerous.

Good plan! I know the military uses them but then again that’s the military. I could just see the hunting shot of a lifetime pop up and, click, click, click….dead battery. 🙄

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

F-100's at Natchez as we speak. 

GG

Thanks, $120 per thousand with tax, shipping, and hazmat.

I'm gonna wait a little bit longer. More places seem to be getting them.

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Thanks, $120 per thousand with tax, shipping, and hazmat.

I'm gonna wait a little bit longer. More places seem to be getting them.

YR:

Roger, I hear you.  I picked up 5K and combined with what I have, it ought to do for a year.  Now I will wait out the prices as you are doing.

GG

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, Pseudonym said:

Any word back on those Ginex primers? I have enough Federals to get me through this year depending on how much I end up shooting. Ginex seem to be the only primers pop up to purchase on a regular basis.

I still have a bunch of Ginex SRP.  Only one out of 20k used didn’t go off.  But at a match! Used them in a 2011 open gun,I’ll use them for practice and managed to get CCI SRP’s for this year (matches for sure)

Those are Winchester Brad, but I have seen those and some Remington here and there. I was wondering about the Ginex cup thickness, how soft they are if anyone has tried them. Also while I am asking about primers, is anyone else bothered by increased  cost of them? I found a receipt in my powder locker from the last time I bought primers, and I paid $28 per thousand, and that was in Obama's last term.  I remember Powder Valley or Nachez sending out an  email a year or so ago saying there would be a 20-30% increase in the cost of reloading supplies, but holy hell this is just stupid.

Edited by Pseudonym

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Those are Winchester Brad, but I have seen those and some Remington here and there. I was wondering about the Ginex cup thickness, how soft they are if anyone has tried them. Also while I am asking about primers, is anyone else bothered by increased  cost of them? I found a receipt in my powder locker from the last time I bought primers, and I paid $28 per thousand, and that was in Obama's last term.  I remember Powder Valley or Nachez sending out an  email a year or so ago saying there would be a 20-30% increase in the cost of reloading supplies, but holy hell this is just stupid.

If you dig through this whole thread, you will find refer to when the pres of cci/fed said component prices were permanently increasing 15% from what was 30 bucks a thousand.

The bottom line though is, primers for reloaders are production over runs of commercial ammo.

Commercial ammo demand is still breaking records.  

Even if distributors are only getting whacked an additional 15% somewhere else in the chain they are getting jacked up...

A very large gun store near me tells me they are getting charged 60+ a 1000 at this point from distribution channels.   No idea whats true though anymore....

1 hour ago, testosterone said:

If you dig through this whole thread, you will find refer to when the pres of cci/fed said component prices were permanently increasing 15% from what was 30 bucks a thousand.

The bottom line though is, primers for reloaders are production over runs of commercial ammo.

Commercial ammo demand is still breaking records.  

Even if distributors are only getting whacked an additional 15% somewhere else in the chain they are getting jacked up...

A very large gun store near me tells me they are getting charged 60+ a 1000 at this point from distribution channels.   No idea whats true though anymore....

I saw people talking about the price increase as well in earlier post but I have not seen an answer. Prices of $80 to up to $130 per thousand for primers is well beyond a 15% or 20%-30% price increase. Somebody has the answer, SHOT show was just a few weeks ago, I think someone would have asked. If it is the distributors I sure as heck would like to know which ones are responsible. 

So has anyone tried these Ginex primers in a Federal primer tuned gun? 

Edited by Pseudonym

Supply demand market price.. I doubt prices will ever come down unless the Russian import thing gets back up and running.
They know they can sell all they can make for 80-90 per k,, why lower the price.
This is a result of consolidation... Simply no competition anymore. Same thing is happening to Powders. Think Hodgdon owns about everything these days.

Same thing happened with bult bullets,, MFG's all blamed it on high lead prices,, thing is when lead came back down to levels lower than they started. Prices never came back down.
I dont fault a vendor for charging what they can get.. I can buy or not buy. I would ask top dollar for something I was selling.
What I have an issue with is when they lie their arses off and blow smoke up mine with excuses.. Just be honest.. We are charging what the market will bear

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

I saw people talking about the price increase as well in earlier post but I have not seen an answer. Prices of $80 to up to $130 per thousand for primers is well beyond a 15% or 20%-30% price increase. Somebody has the answer, SHOT show was just a few weeks ago, I think someone would have asked. If it is the distributors I sure as heck would like to know which ones are responsible. 

So has anyone tried these Ginex primers in a Federal primer tuned gun? 

Yes. Tried them in my tuned 929. Hardly put a dent in them. 

14 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I dont fault a vendor for charging what they can get.. I can buy or not buy. I would ask top dollar for something I was selling.
What I have an issue with is when they lie their arses off and blow smoke up mine with excuses.. Just be honest.. We are charging what the market will bear

Exactly why bother to make excuses.

13 hours ago, DM61 said:

Yes. Tried them in my tuned 929. Hardly put a dent in them. 

Thanks that was the answer I needed.

36 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

They are never going down to previous levels.  In my business my adhesive cost is up 45% in 2 years.

and a recent quote I did for some dampener material was double in cost from 2018 to today. 100% in 5 years.   

so far, your observations are similar to mine.   I can site specific items like that and while

I can find a few items that have not gone that far. most items have gone up more than 10 percent.

the primers we seek are a leading price jump at 350 percent.

miranda

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Why is ammo double what it was, but primers are three or four times?

the short answer is greed.  

when coupled to people who are willing to pay those prices.

From all I can gather, 10usd per K is more than that product costs to make.

the only reason we do not have 50 or more primer making companies has

a lot to do with the Federal government's ... ah...opinions... on pyrotechnics.

There are effective solutions.

My mildest advice is buy the foreign primers.  with enthusiasm.

I have not found them for sale.

( I have not current need to look. Soon, I expect) 

the next solution is possible and will defeat any black marketeer.

US based manufacturer could offer a rebate of half the cost of a shipment

of 5 k of primers and one per addr on the manifest from a legitimate company

in the supply chain and one per calendar year.

I guess it would help to state the MSRP and cut off any seller who charges over that.

there are other methods and they are while very effective,

they require people being willing to organize...

miranda