Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers?

rooster mcbee

1 hour ago, Zachjet said:

I recent bought a case of genex. I’m hoping to get out tomorrow and test them..

target sports had federal 100’s in stock last week.  I snagged a case of those too 

How much were the Fed's?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All said and done. 488.  I’m a prime member over there.  But I don’t think there’s a discount on primers.   I might have gotten free shipping tho 

the genex cost me 425 I think 

I plan on using the genex for practice   

4 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

How much were the Fed's?

Edited by Zachjet

3 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Guys:

I see more and more imported small pistol primers in the market.  Aquila, Servicos Adventuras, and imports from Serbia.

I know the Fed 100's are the most reliable and Pk-2 has stated the new CCI SPP's will work with his tuned revolvers.  Problem is finding them in quantities that make paying the fees palatable.  Can't say as I have seen Fed 100's on Discord for over six months now.  CCI SPPs for a good six months.

Have been tempted to try the imported SPP's but I bet they are made for service loads and my firing pins won't even put a dimple into them.

Any opinions on the imported SPP's?  

GG

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/small-pistol-c-2807.aspx and https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/primers/small-pistol?instock=true and both sell Flats of 5,000.  Prices are less than a few months ago too.

One good thing about seeing foreign primers hitting our market is that they should take some of the demand pressure off of Federal and maybe we will see a reliable supply of Federal 100's and 150's.  Probably a bit cheaper too but I do not think we will see primers under about eight cents a piece.

GG

44 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

One good thing about seeing foreign primers hitting our market is that they should take some of the demand pressure off of Federal and maybe we will see a reliable supply of Federal 100's and 150's.  Probably a bit cheaper too but I do not think we will see primers under about eight cents a piece.

GG

I'd be happy to get some Federal Small Pistol Primers $0.08 each these days. All I'm seeing is $0.13 after shipping and hazmat.

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I'd be happy to get some Federal Small Pistol Primers $0.08 each these days. All I'm seeing is $0.13 after shipping and hazmat.

YRR:

Adding in the $85.00 for DOT, insurance, and taxes, the 5K of Fed Match 100's I bought from Target Sports cost me a total of $634.00.  12.5 cents a piece.  They are as expensive as the powder coated bullets I use.  I know I paid more for the "Match" primers which doesn't make me any happier.  They are totally unnecessary for Steel Challenge and I bet there are only five guys on the Revolver forum who are good enough to notice the difference between "Match" and " Standard" primers. 

I don't care if the Fed 100's go for ten cents a piece as long as I can trust that if I want 5K of them, I can get them.

GG

27 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

YRR:

Adding in the $85.00 for DOT, insurance, and taxes, the 5K of Fed Match 100's I bought from Target Sports cost me a total of $634.00.  12.5 cents a piece.  They are as expensive as the powder coated bullets I use.  I know I paid more for the "Match" primers which doesn't make me any happier.  They are totally unnecessary for Steel Challenge and I bet there are only five guys on the Revolver forum who are good enough to notice the difference between "Match" and " Standard" primers. 

I don't care if the Fed 100's go for ten cents a piece as long as I can trust that if I want 5K of them, I can get them.

GG

Agreed, it's insanity

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a SASS Match (Bordertown)  I dealer had LOTS of Federal Primers Large/Small/Match/Magnum with prices of $110 to 130 per 1000.

He sold a lot but did not sell out with 300-400 shooters in attendance.  No Hazmat or shipping fees.

So there is resistance at some pricing lever.

1 hour ago, GMM50 said:

I was at a SASS Match (Bordertown)  I dealer had LOTS of Federal Primers Large/Small/Match/Magnum with prices of $110 to 130 per 1000.

He sold a lot but did not sell out with 300-400 shooters in attendance.  No Hazmat or shipping fees.

So there is resistance at some pricing lever.

I thought you guys use flintlock and 

black powder. Just kidding 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, revoman said:

That's even a different group.   SASS is black power and federal primers!! And Bordertown has the targets at 10 feet or closer.🤠

On 11/17/2022 at 11:54 AM, revoman said:

And what is wrong with the flintlock?  I have four of them.  However, they are very high quality so they actually work. 

An acquired taste...  He, he.  

GG

45 minutes ago, EEH said:

4F, powder for pan, English flint, 42” Douglas barrel, inlayed coin silver on the stock. Nothing wrong with flintlock.

EEH:

Comparing the cost of flints and the number of shots we get with each flint, it is cheaper to buy Fed Match SPP's at inflated prices.  

I think we are around $2.50 or $3.00 a flint and I don't know about EEH but I get about fifteen shots per flint.  That comes out to around $.20 a shot.  Cheaper only because you aren't shooting a whole lot of times in a session.

GG

Ohhh boy, I can hear the gears and smell the smoke now. 🤣

Somebody’s gonna be tearing apart their gas grill for the igniter. 

Should be able to to retrofit a welding striker flint to the hammer? You’d get lots of sparks for cheap. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

4 hours ago, Farmer said:

Ohhh boy, I can hear the gears and smell the smoke now. 🤣

Somebody’s gonna be tearing apart their gas grill for the igniter. 

Should be able to to retrofit a welding striker flint to the hammer? You’d get lots of sparks for cheap. 

Farmer:

Don't know about you but I never had a Piezo ignitor last more than twenty or thirty times.  I think I will stick with the flint and a good hardened frizzen.  Way more reliable.

GG

10 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I've got a couple of piezo electric igniters for the oxyacetylene torch that have been going for over 20 years.

Warren:  

I imagine you do.  Unfortunately, I have the cheapo's that come with BBQ's.  I exaggerate though.  I probably get around fifty ignitions before they 'STB'. 

A good flintlock has a remarkably fast ignition.  Key word is 'good'.  I imagine the flintlocks that EEH and I own have the best locks and frizzens made today.  They are extremely complicated mechanisms and I think it is probably easier to tune a revolver than to produce a reliable and fast flintlock.  

However this is about primers and I got notified last night that Midway has (or had) Fed 100's.  The problem with Midway is they ration the number of primers you can buy to 1K.  Gigantic NO GO.

GG