Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers?

rooster mcbee

On 11/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, Joe4d said:

Was either Daisy or remington and seems like it was part of a caseless ammo experiment.

It was Remington. I had one of the rifles. They discontinued it..thank God.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/3/2023 at 2:45 PM, MikeyScuba said:

I still have a bunch of Ginex SRP.  Only one out of 20k used didn’t go off.  But at a match! Used them in a 2011 open gun,I’ll use them for practice and managed to get CCI SRP’s for this year (matches for sure)

Thanks for the post. I am thinking about trying  some Ginex SPP's.

47 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Why federal primers can be had now at decent prices?

federals have been the first to reappear in the three 'shortages' I have  enjoyed.

my guess, and do not mistake it as a guess...

I think that the primers are a variety of just missing the spec

for use in some varieties of ammo manufacture.

that means they are 'surplus.' 

part of this thinking on my part is that I have read that primer compound does vary

in how easy or hard the material is to ignite.

I've not been able to find info on how they test.

I suppose a weighted hammer could be accurate enough.

miranda

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Why federal primers can be had now at decent prices?

I would prefer Federals, but seen an add for $350.00 for 5,000 (shipping and Hazmat included). I could not find Federals at that price. The last time i checked, they are currently all sold out.

33 minutes ago, fraizer15 said:

I would prefer Federals, but seen an add for $350.00 for 5,000 (shipping and Hazmat included). I could not find Federals at that price. The last time i checked, they are currently all sold out.

When I factor in performance, cost of travel and fees and all the extras that go into shooting I'd rather pay an extra .04 per shot.  Call it an optimization tax.

Even at 10,000 rounds that's only $400 a year.  Granted if one needs that money for something else it's better than not shooting. 

A few years ago I came to the realization that in the grand scheme the benefits of enjoying myself was worth a lot more.

Most would probably question spending.04 total for shooting, that's what makes us special🙏🤗🤩

Edited by pskys2

55 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

When I factor in performance, cost of travel and fees and all the extras that go into shooting I'd rather pay an extra .04 per shot.  Call it an optimization tax.

Even at 10,000 rounds that's only $400 a year.  Granted if one needs that money for something else it's better than not shooting. 

A few years ago I came to the realization that in the grand scheme the benefits of enjoying myself was worth a lot more.

Most would probably question spending.04 total for shooting, that's what makes us special🙏🤗🤩

when you add in all that is involved with going to a competition, as opposed to 'practice,'

yeah it is pretty clear that hunting to save a penny or two per primer is unwise.

I feel obliged to point out that thinking can be used to buy a new truck to go to competitions.

so there is a limit in there somewhere.

As long as primers to reload are available, I will keep my grumbling about the prices

down to a modest level.  and I do need a replacement truck

so high priced primers may have to wait.

miranda

I have been spouting off that when I run out of this batch of primers, if they are still a dime a piece, I will just buy Blazer Brass 124s and move on down the road without my 1050.  But thats a lie.  My reloads are too nice to give up and shoot factory ammo.  My new  favorite is an RMR 124 grain TC Match Winner, over 4.2 grains of N320 to 1.125".  Soft and accurate.

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

When I factor in performance, cost of travel and fees and all the extras that go into shooting I'd rather pay an extra .04 per shot.

Pardon me Mr Rockefeller, but would you have any Grey Poupon?

Ysrracer?

I thought you knew Mr Gottrotz  and the Rocksonrocks?

this forum has some who command a lot of resources.

If I could direct you to auto racing forums,  that would be eye opening.

miranda

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Ditto. 

Here's an idea......take out a screwdriver, and crank that strain screw another half a turn, then not worry about popping alternate brand primers?

If your worried your performance will be severely compromised by having a trigger pull of 7 pounds rather than 5, maybe take up bowling. 

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I have been spouting off that when I run out of this batch of primers, if they are still a dime a piece, I will just buy Blazer Brass 124s and move on down the road without my 1050.  But thats a lie.  My reloads are too nice to give up and shoot factory ammo.  My new  favorite is an RMR 124 grain TC Match Winner, over 4.2 grains of N320 to 1.125".  Soft and accurate.

Yo RT:

Do you get the ones with the smiley face pressed into the front of the jacket?

I think you and I may be the only two here who like TC bullets.   Just that I can't afford jacketed ones.  

GG

Come on, being a seasoned citizen I've learned to prioritize.  I keep hearing footsteps of the local young'uns, and am determined to keep them chasing me as long as possible.

Bowling, really, maybe pin shooting.

Don't smoke, drink or any other vice than shooting, heck federal primers are a steal compared to a heavy smoking habit.  

13 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Yo RT:

Do you get the ones with the smiley face pressed into the front of the jacket?

I think you and I may be the only two here who like TC bullets.   Just that I can't afford jacketed ones.  

GG

No sir, just the plain ones, but I like them and the P320 loves them!!

19 hours ago, pskys2 said:

For a match, I agree. But I actually enjoy practice more than matches.  Cheaper primers to me equals more fun. 

• 6 months later...
47 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

Just bought enough Fed 100's that combined with what I have already will be just fine for a year.

I suggest you get some before they disappear.

There's a company called Miwall that usually has them for $70 a thousand. I've been buying from them for a while.

https://miwallcorp.com/reloading/primers/

My dad sent me this article and I was not sure if this is going to be a good or bad thing for us? 

I assume some company will figure out how to start the russian/soviet block ammo importing again though another port of entry? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/czechoslovak-group-to-take-over-ammunition-division-of-american-vista-outdoor/ar-AA1iqy1M?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8e6b9138014f4dcabe182a2f544d260b&ei=35

Edited by Chillywig

On 10/21/2023 at 5:14 PM, Chillywig said:

My dad sent me this article and I was not sure if this is going to be a good or bad thing for us? 

I assume some company will figure out how to start the russian/soviet block ammo importing again though another port of entry? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/czechoslovak-group-to-take-over-ammunition-division-of-american-vista-outdoor/ar-AA1iqy1M?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8e6b9138014f4dcabe182a2f544d260b&ei=35

I wish there was a way to simply read the news without having to sign up, download something, blah blah blah…. So now I wonder what the head of Federal has to say about all of this after blowing smoke up our asses during the shortages. 😡

21 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I wish there was a way to simply read the news without having to sign up, download something, blah blah blah…. So now I wonder what the head of Federal has to say about all of this after blowing smoke up our asses during the shortages. 😡

I'll summarize for you, prices are going up, availability is going down.